The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chiropractor for foot pain?

As I've posted before my horse is off on her right front foot, some days worse than others. This has been going on for about 8 months. As far as my vet can tell the problem is in the coffin joint area. I've done digital x-rays and an MRI and some things little things show up, including pretty good arthritis. The trouble is that the pain didn't present like arthritis, she went from moving the best ever one day to head bobbing lame the next. I had her coffin joint and navicular bursa injected again anyway and she was going well for about a month and then she went off again. Great one day, head bobbing the next.

I told the story to her breeder and she said that a horse of hers had the exact same problem. She spent a ton of money on it for 6 months and then had a chiropractor go over her on a whim. The chiro said said that this horse had a pinched (trapped) nerve in her withers. The chiro adjusted her and the horse went sound and has stayed that way. He said it was similar to a human sciatic nerve where the nerve is in the back but the pain is felt in the legs.

Has anyone ever had or heard of a similar situation? Dare I hope that this is the cause of her problem? The vet and I are out of ideas.

some horses are just so stoic they don't show arthritis until advanced and the coffin joint does hurt. You could try IRAP and load with legend and adequan but you just may need a low dose of bute or previcoxx/equioxx also some natural balance aluminum shoes with pads. Tildren may help.

I am a big believer in chiro. But when there is a front end lameness there isn't much chiro can do. You vet should be able to prove the general area where it is coming from with blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I am a big believer in chiro. But when there is a front end lameness there isn't much chiro can do.
    I'm not saying a chiro would help this horse in particular, but this is a wildly off-base generalization.

Considering the costs of alternatives, I would try it as a diagnostic if nothing else, and it might fix problems in other areas anyway.

The sudden onset does suggest the possiblity of a mild trauma type of occurence resulting from something along the lines of a silly pasture accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    I'm not saying a chiro would help this horse in particular, but this is a wildly off-base generalization.

Considering the costs of alternatives, I would try it as a diagnostic if nothing else, and it might fix problems in other areas anyway.

The sudden onset does suggest the possiblity of a mild trauma type of occurence resulting from something along the lines of a silly pasture accident.
    So you think you can adjust a foot or a leg and make a horse sound? Good luck! LOL

So you think you can adjust a foot or a leg and make a horse sound? Good luck! LOL

I believe that 'there isn't much a chiro can do for a front end lameness', is a wildly off-base generalization.
    Are you aware that the front end includes the shoulder, withers, and neck?

I believe that 'there isn't much a chiro can do for a front end lameness', is a wildly off-base generalization.
    OMG, I didn't realize that!

Brilliant, truly brilliant!

Good luck adjusting that foot!

I get arm pain/numbness/weakness in my hand/arm from a pinched nerve in my spine, so I do not see why this can't also be the case in horses.

If it were my horse, I would consider giving it a try (and in fact have with my own horse and his mysterious lameness...didn't help him, but didn't cost much and he enjoyed it).

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

What adjustment can a chiro make to the withers?

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoo View Post
    As I've posted before my horse is off on her right front foot, some days worse than others. This has been going on for about 8 months. As far as my vet can tell the problem is in the coffin joint area. I've done digital x-rays and an MRI and some things little things show up, including pretty good arthritis. The trouble is that the pain didn't present like arthritis,......
    How does arthritis pain present, especially in the DIPJ of the horse?
    she went from moving the best ever one day to head bobbing lame the next. I had her coffin joint and navicular bursa injected again anyway and she was going well for about a month and then she went off again. Great one day, head bobbing the next.
    Evidently you have not personally 'enjoyed' the manifestations of phalangeal arthritis. I have and do and can tell you from [pardon the pun] first hand experience that phalangeal arthritis often manifests precisely as you have described. Further, injecting the DIPJ and navicular bursa with, presumably, a corticosteroid, will ameliorate the pain/symptoms for a period of time, the duration of which is indeterminate. Further, long term use of corticosteroids intra-articularly ends up doing more harm than good.

You might find this article of value:

http://www.horseprerace.com/blog/int...aluronic-acid/

He said it was similar to a human sciatic nerve where the nerve is in the back but the pain is felt in the legs.
    Interesting. Especially considering where the human sciatic nerve is located and which limbs it affects.
    The vet and I are out of ideas.
    Did the MRI show any soft tissue changes? Perhaps an ultrasound of the impar ligament and the DFT from where it passes behind and under the navicular bone to its insertion on p3 is indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    The thoracic vertebrae include the withers, as such the chiropractor can adjust them just as any of the others. The withers often are pulled out of alignment by mounting from the near side and pulling down with one's weight on the stirrup on the same side. For that reason it is good to vary the side that the horse is mounted from.

Here is a youtube of a chiropractor adjusting the withers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr2jqqWIKto

Interesting vids on youtube!

Here's one for everyone, it's not a good one! Don't know where this lady learned to do chiro but it certainly was not in a school!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEsR...eature=related

Well, the withers is T3-T8, so you could have a T4 PL , a T6 P and a T8 PR or a host of other combinations. Withers adjustments are pretty common.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Just because a horse is lame in front, does not mean you do a foot or leg adjustment.... the adjustment could be more proximal as Androcles stated....

And yes, you can adjust extremities and get improvements in how a horse moves

And yes, you can help a horse with a front leg lameness if the problem is chiropractic in nature. Often neck problems show up as front end lameness.

No, you can not fix a bowed tendon with chiropractic....nor can you fix a coffin bone fracture or an abscess......

But yes, sometimes you can help problems like Navicular syndrome, if there is a chiropractic component to the lameness

Yes, a strictly veterinary problem is going to need a veterinary solution, but not all lamenesses are that straighforward......

Interesting. Especially considering where the human sciatic nerve is located and which limbs it affects.
    I'd guess the vet used sciatic as an example because people know what that is and are familiar with sciatica....... You can of course get the same type of problem in the front end with impingement of the nerves in the brachial plexus..... I'd be a good example for this, as I have pain and numbness in my hands from proximal nerve impingements.... radial and ulnar nerves are both affected....

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    Well, the withers is T3-T8, so you could have a T4 PL , a T6 P and a T8 PR or a host of other combinations. Withers adjustments are pretty common.
    My apologies as I was imprecise. I understand spinal chiropractic adjustment, however I was more referring to the scapulae especially at their proximal end.

My apologies as I was imprecise. I understand spinal chiropractic adjustment, however I was more referring to the scapulae especially at their proximal end.
    fair enough

Scapulae are mobilized (but it's not a true chiro adjustment, as of course there is no joint at the proximal end)