The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How strict is AHS in approving TB mares?

I would like to get an idea of how difficult it is to have a TB mare approved by AHS. Any links to approved mares would be greatly appreciated. I understand they need to get a 7 for elasticity and for overall.
    Last edited by flyracing; Feb. 21, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    I would like to get an idea of how difficult it is to have a TB mare approved by AHS. Any links to approved mares would be greatly appreciated. I understand they need to get a 7 for elasticity and for overall.
    No links, but I feel AHS is the strictest in approving "outside" mares, ie Arabs, TBs, non-Hanoverians. I haven't attended one of their inspections in a while, but it use to be just a handful of TB mares a year would be approved.

Mary O'Connor's Camille JC was approved in November by AHS at Mid Atlantic Hanoverian Breeder's annual inspection. Two TBs were presented and one accepted. Camille is a jumper and has lovely conformation.

Diane Halpin - Facebook
    "laurelleafhanoverians.com"

I agree that they are tough. They are looking for an elastic mare with a lot of impulsion and free in the shoulder. Ours passed away a few years ago:-( but I am sure I can find a video of her somewhere.

Very. I had my mare Whooo's So Special approved AHS, but I have owned many other very nice mares that I didn't presented AHS as I know unlikely it was that they would be accepted. I've talked to a lot of people about presenting their T'bred mares AHS, but I have only once encouraged one of my friends to do it with one of their mares.

The grey mare here is Whooo's So Special: http://www.tanhillfarm.com/mares.htm

This is a tough standard. The TB mares that I've seen pass that standard are very high quality, elastic moving mares. Most well conformed, quality TB mares can get the overall 7 -- but many of these do not move well enough to get a 7 for elasticity.

I thought they had to get a 7 on implusion as well? Or is that the same as elasticity?

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Now now Galileo - hands down - THAT is one spectacular TB mare - every registry should approve HER

I am hoping they like my TB mare - tough when they have an injury - buuut here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo1998 View Post
    Very. I had my mare Whooo's So Special approved AHS, but I have owned many other very nice mares that I didn't presented AHS as I know unlikely it was that they would be accepted. I've talked to a lot of people about presenting their T'bred mares AHS, but I have only once encouraged one of my friends to do it with one of their mares.

The grey mare here is Whooo's So Special: http://www.tanhillfarm.com/mares.htm
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

StricT.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I no longer have this mare as she passed away...but I presented her to the AHS a few years back. She got fantastic scores on conformation and the judges liked her overall appearance. However, she had a old injury (how I inherited her. It was severe strangulating laceration to a rear cannon that resulted in highly visible significant scar tissue) that I just could not get her sound enough to pass the AHS. They did not consider her past successes as an A circuit hunter mare either as they want the scope of a jumper.

I worked hard the following year to rehab her past injury with therapy, massage and acupuncture. I was able to get her "relatively" sound but never "normal". I presented her that year to the GOV and again they loved her conformation and were willing to accept her despite not showing pure gaits due to her past injury. They examined her bad leg closely and watched me present her on the triangle 3 times. They felt that without the injury her movement would have been adequate. I am sure however that the AHS would still have declined her.

I never got to breed her though as she passed away from an unrelated infection in a different leg. I was planning on breeding her to a Weser-em pony.

http://blumefarm.com/mymares/kakuaxxmmbgovwem.html

I agree that Whooo's So Special looks spectacular, as does the chestnut mare shown in the photos below the gray mare.

Very nice grey mare-- she really is "special!"

There was a bit in the AHS magazine that came out previous to the November inspection where they had detailed notes on their summer inspections, including farm visits.

In it, they described the stringent criteria for approving TB mares--after reading it, I was quite prepared for them to reject Camille. We were very gratified that not only did they accept her, but she was also the high score Non-Han mare at the inspection.

I'm not sure whether the AHS magazine is online--I'll see if I can find it, maybe I can cut and paste an excerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    StricT.
    I typed the thread on my cell phone right at the end of my lunch break. I saw it, but couldn't change it all day. It drove me nuts all afternoon!

Thanks for all of the replies and experiences! I think my mare could get an overall 7, but elasticity is quite honestly a solid 6+ on a good day. It is her weakest area. She has a powerful hind end (not your typical tb trait), but lacks the "rubberband" factor.

I think I will save my $1000+ of going to an inspection out of state and put it towards a stud fee of a GOV or KWPN stallion

But I really thought Benneton Dream would be a super guy for my girl.

Thanks for all of the replies and experiences! I think my mare could get an overall 7, but elasticity is quite honestly a solid 6+ on a good day. It is her weakest area. She has a powerful hind end (not your typical tb trait), but lacks the "rubberband" factor.

I think I will save my $1000+ of going to an inspection out of state and put it towards a stud fee of a GOV or KWPN stallion

But I really thought Benneton Dream would be a super guy for my girl.
    If HE's your guy, why not see what other registries would let you use him as an outside stallion? Not sure what GOV requirements are but I know of a stallion around here that has a GOV registered foal even though he's approved AHHA and RPSI. BWP and sBs will both accept fully licensed stallions approved by other registries with an "outside stallion" fee. I think RPSI, Old-NA and GOV may be similar. All of them regularly approve TB mares.

Default If you like Benetton Dream...

From his web page - Approved Hanoverian, Oldenburg, Westfalen, Rheinland & all South German Verbands

So get your mare approved GOV and register the foal there. No need to change stallions. Just find a registry that's a better fit for your mare!

I'll chime in. I don't think that they are that strict, according to my standards. I either see really nice TB mares presented, and they are approved with good scores, or really bad ones who do not get approved. I see the same things in other registries, except other registries have lower books that the mare is eligible for, like a pre mare book, etc. TB mares that are being presented to AHS (not doing the MPT) are only eligible for the Stud Book, so if they get sufficient scores, they're approved, if they do not, they are rejected. I really like it that way, because only the best mares should be representing the registry.

AHS can be pretty strict with Hanoverian mares as well--I have seen it. I have also seen other warmblood (i.e. Oldenburg) mares get rejected.

So if your mare is nice quality with good gaits, I would definitely present her to AHS.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    If HE's your guy, why not see what other registries would let you use him as an outside stallion? Not sure what GOV requirements are but I know of a stallion around here that has a GOV registered foal even though he's approved AHHA and RPSI. BWP and sBs will both accept fully licensed stallions approved by other registries with an "outside stallion" fee. I think RPSI, Old-NA and GOV may be similar. All of them regularly approve TB mares.
    This is the route I would go as well. Once your mare in in foal, call the nearest WB registry and see what they say. As I've mentioned before, when I bred my Hanoverian mare (registered and approved) to Rosenthal I called and asked RPSI if they would give her coming foal a full brand. The mare was already approved RPSI.

They agreed without a problem even though Rosenthal was NOT on their stallion roster. But he's popular enough and has good enough blood that they were happy to have a filly of that quality carry their brand.

Even if your mare gets in one of the lower books (and in RPSI that's doubtful if she's all TB), the foal can still get a full brand.

I have seen quite a few tb's presented over the last few years to the Verband and two have been approved. Last year there was a mare who was in her late teens and clearly stiff from old age. All of us thought her a nice mare but clearly she could not show a seven in the elasticity component. She did have a very attractive Escudo II colt at her side who had good movement. The inspectors said that they thought she probably moved well when she was younger and they were impressed by the colt so approved her.

They are strict with outside breeds..either warmblood or blood mares. If they are going to bring in outside blood it needs to serve to IMPROVE the breed, otherwise what is the point? I love that about the registry.

Our TB mare Apt to Please XX was overall Champion Non-Hanoverian at her AHS Inspection, approved Main Mare Book and accepted into the Hanoverian Jumper Breeding Program.

You can see photos if you scroll down the page here: http://goodpony.net/News/apt-to-plea...hs-inspection/