The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Bad day(husband's horse accident) :-(

So last night a horse my husband is training spooked and ran through an electric fence(not hot)...he ended up coming off...well turns out in addition to a bad concussion he fractured the C-6 vertebrae in his neck.

He's home & okay now for the most part but he has to go back for an MRI on monday. The worst part about the whole deal is his boss told him that if he cannot be back to work on tuesday, he will no longer have a job. I am worried sick about what we are going to do.

If he looses his job, he guesses he'll have to go on unemployment until he heals, and then he talked about using his G.I. Bill money to go to a school down in Oklahoma to learn to be a farrier. I guess we are just going to wait and see what happens.

I figured I would share here because at least fellow horse people are a little more understanding...I've already had non-horse people tell me that the horse should be put down because it's dangerous and a "killer". She is not a bad little horse, and he doesn't blame her at all. He actually went out to the pasture at like 11pm last night to go apologize to her for letting her down.

I didn't realize how much I relied on him for his help with the care, exercise & training of the horses at our ranch until I had to exercise 4 of them today by myself while trying to get a hundred other things done. He won't be able to ride for the next 6 weeks or more...which totally sucks! He had another 2 horses that are supposed to be coming in for training in a week or two...

Talk about a bad day :-(

Sending lots of jingles!

Now, buy him a HELMET---I bet he was wearing a hat.

I learned long ago that accidents happen, and the first thing to land in an unscheduled dismount is usually the HEAD. He is obviously VERY important to the continued health and happiness of his family, so he needs to put that ugly helmet on before he rides.

Yup...I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat the Horse View Post
    Sending lots of jingles!

Now, buy him a HELMET---I bet he was wearing a hat.

I learned long ago that accidents happen, and the first thing to land in an unscheduled dismount is usually the HEAD. He is obviously VERY important to the continued health and happiness of his family, so he needs to put that ugly helmet on before he rides.

Yup...I know.
    As bad as it sounds, I'm glad that he finally got hurt enough to REALIZE THIS!!! I wear a helmet ALL THE TIME and it's saved my butt more than once!!!!!!! I've been asking him and telling him for as long as I've known him but with the typical "kansas cowboy" attitude, he felt like he'd be less of a man if he wore one. Now he finally realizes its better to be alive and functioning then to be worried about looking stupid! We are going to order him one in the next week or so, Thank Goodness!

How many employees does your husband's employer have? If it's over 50, thanks to Bill Clinton and a majority Democrat Congress in both chambers (like how I slid that in there?) the company is subject to the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act. A summary:

Requires employers of 50 or more employees to give up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to eligible employees for the birth or adoption of a child or for the serious illness of the employee or a spouse, child or parent.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    How many employees does your husband's employer have? If it's over 50, thanks to Bill Clinton and a majority Democrat Congress in both chambers (like how I slid that in there?) the company is subject to the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act. A summary:

Requires employers of 50 or more employees to give up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to eligible employees for the birth or adoption of a child or for the serious illness of the employee or a spouse, child or parent.
    Sadly, besides the boss himself there is one other kid. The 3 of them run a calf starter lot. This was the worst timing ever because the bosses dad died yesterday too so now not only is my husband out of work until monday at least, so is the boss leaving the one guy to feed, doctor & process hundreds of cattle by himself. It's just a bad situation all around

Jingles for you all, what a tough situation. Ditto the helmet use, it's saved my brain many times. Does your husband pay into state disability?

Big jingles!

Hope everything works out!

P.

Jingles and prayers all the way around. Best of luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Prayers for all of you that your life returns to normal soon.

On unemployment, one must still be able to work, in most states they require one to register availability to work in order to collect.
    However, you may likely be eligible for better assistance through your county office -- med care, food stamps, heat asst, therapies, etc.

Not only a helmet, a vest when breaking/training- always. They are like chaps, once you get used to wearing it, you dont notice, but you'll be glad you have it on when the time comes.

Debbie McDonald saved by a helmet
    http://www.equisearch.com/news/debbi...ed-by-a-helmet
    Last edited by brightskyfarm; Feb. 19, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Default Jingles for ALL !

Jingles for ALL ~

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~

One day at a time ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Jingles and Hugs.

I'm so, so sorry.

My husband has been hurt in a big way two different times, training outside horses.

I have turned down nearly every outside horse in the past few years. The money is just not worth it. He gets calls constantly, because so many clients have referred him (he's never advertised), but like I said, it's just not worth it for us anymore. Too many bad horses, too many dishonest clients. I'm just done with the whole "trainer's wife" routine.

I hope your husband has a smooth recovery -- and doesn't have lasting side effects.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

Yes. Thanks to Bill Clinton, employers with over 50 employees cannot just dismiss employees who are injured.
    But since your husband works for someone with only a few employees, get a lawyer. You might have options in your state to prevent your husband being fired. Some states are more protective of employees than even the feds.

Your husband is very lucky not to have been paralyzed. I hope this does scare him into using a helmet. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to good health soon.

And check out social security disability claims.

Hope something comes through for you!
    can you find some local teens/SAHM's to help with chores in exchange for rides?

Is there no personal (equestrian) insurance that would cover you & your husband in this sort of situation? (at least for the future)

btw a friend's kid rides with a very basic helmet topped with her cowboy hat - it looks normal enough that most don't realize.

Is there another job your husband can pick up in the meantime? I'm going to go ahead and assume he *will* be fired, but how about desk work? Sucks, but pays the bills. Being bent over under a horse all day at "farrier school" isn't exactly what his neck needs to heal. Just sayin'.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Jingles for you and your hubby!
    And nothing bad happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangergirl56m View Post
    As bad as it sounds, I'm glad that he finally got hurt enough to REALIZE THIS!!! I wear a helmet ALL THE TIME and it's saved my butt more than once!!!!!!! I've been asking him and telling him for as long as I've known him but with the typical "kansas cowboy" attitude, he felt like he'd be less of a man if he wore one. Now he finally realizes its better to be alive and functioning then to be worried about looking stupid! We are going to order him one in the next week or so, Thank Goodness!
    They actually make them with western/cowboy styling.....
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I don't have any more suggestions that what has been posted already - so sending jingles and prayers and hope that if one door is closed, another door of opportunity opens soon.

Default Well, crap

So sorry OP. If your husband sustained an inyury to his C spine, before it is diagnosed with an MRI, he is putting his life, at worst, and his future soundness, at best, in peril. I get that he's working for a small operation and they need his presence to carry on with business. It's an unfortunate situation all around.

He needs to make the call if the possibility of exacerbation of his current situation is "worth it". It could very well impact the rest of his life.

So sorry you're going through this. I hope for a positive update!

Just a note on the GI Bill. If he is eligible for the post 9/11 bill, it could be a good deal. Quite a few people I know have elected to take time off work to go back to school, finding the new GI Bill to be great. These are people with families, and it still pays the bills. It may definitely be worth looking into, especially considering my barn owner found that being able to trim hooves just saved him money on not having to call the farrier for their 8 or so horses. He does no farrier work outside the barn.

I do concur, though, to make sure he is healed up before doing something to further the injury.