The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

On the subject...a while back someone posted in Off Course a way to make your own tack wipes, it involved cutting a role of paper towels in half or something? Ring a bell?

I really like the Belvoir leather wipes that smartpak has but would love to make my own.

Default Mad Cow!

Quote Originally Posted by OTTB FTW View Post
    I rub/wipe my tack down with a damp washcloth, rinsing rag often if needed. The nap of a washcloth gets the sweat/dirt right out. Then I apply Mad Cow lightly or as needed. Smartpak has the Mad Cow product now, which makes me very happy, as I always used to have to go to GMHA tack shop while at events to get it! If I clean regularly, I never need anything else. The Mad Cow conditions the leather, and is helpful when wiping it down the next day. Nice shiny clean tack.

If I had some leather in poor condition, I would use the Leather Therapy cleaner, and then the conditioner.

I have some neatsfoot oil, for neglected tack, or dried out flash nosebands.

For my brass clincher I wipe with the quick type cleaner (forgot the name, only have been using it every day for the past 25 years.....) its the wool in the blue can with cleaner on it. I quickly wipe across the clincher each time I clean and then wipe with a clean, dry towel. I have the paste cleaner for neglected brass, halters etc.
    ALL of this!!!

Mad Cow is the BEST! I cleaned my show bridle and put it away for the winter in my bridle bag in the barn. Other boarders had moldy tack, but my show bridle came out ready to show, soft and shiny after sitting for 4 months.

The stuff in the blue can is Nevr-Dull. I love the smell-it always makes me think horse show! I use it for the brass on my leather halter too.

The only thing I have to add to the above is I use the Sprenger Bit Polish, makes all my bits look brand new.

On leather wipes, my trainer from way-back-when used to dump a bottle of leather new in an old supplement container (cleaned out of course, your saddle doesn't need glucosamine). Then they grabbed a few old washcloths and cut them into 1/2's and plunked them in there. Presto - tack wipes. Once you use one enough, toss it in the washer and then back on in once its clean again.

You can do the same thing with a liquid conditioner or oil.

Trick is to make sure you use a container that is airtight so you don't lose the liquid to evaporation.

We had a tin of leather grease that my husband picked up years ago in France called Sapo. Fantastic stuff!!

Generally these days we just use Neatsfoot oil and glycerine saddle soap, but this thread has got me thinking that I need to get some more interesting tack conditioners! Plus I was doggedly cleaning a load of saddles before a competition last weekend and glycerine is sooo slow to use..

My mum has also done the trick of melting down a bar of glycerine with milk and this creates a creamy, white conditioner that is very easy to use.

Default Would you use this to clean tack with??

Diluted Murry's Oil Soap??
    Yes or No?

Do you mean Murphy's? That's what I was taught to use, but it made my tack sticky, even diluted. Might be better now that I've gotten over the aversion to plenty of water that I was also taught!

Diluted Murry's Oil Soap??
    Yes or No?

yes (Murphy's). I have since PC and still use it all the time.

Love Murphy's Oil Soap - the smell always takes me back to childhood!

I have a tube of Stubben Hammanol (I think) that I use as conditioner. I have also used Ko Cho Line (kind of messy). Will have to try Leather CPR!

If you live somewhere with high humidity I'd skip leather CPR. Here it molds in the container before it goes on your tack.

Leather Therapy is THE BEST for super high humidity here in the south! They also have a laundry soap for things that can go in the washer.

For high shine on your boots a military spit polish is the way to go. Black shoe polish for black boots, set it on fire in the can, put it out with the lid, (only a second or so)and then hot water on a cotton ball (squeeze out excess)and put cotton ball in the melted polish, onto the boots and rub till it goes solid. Until you can perfect your technique do this outside away from anything that can catch on fire, if you are under 18 years old get permission from your parents!

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post

For high shine on your boots a military spit polish is the way to go. Black shoe polish for black boots, set it on fire in the can, put it out with the lid, (only a second or so)and then hot water on a cotton ball (squeeze out excess)and put cotton ball in the melted polish, onto the boots and rub till it goes solid. Until you can perfect your technique do this outside away from anything that can catch on fire, if you are under 18 years old get permission from your parents!
    I love this idea!! Ariat paddock boots never get that real shine and it drives me nuts! I'll have to try this soon.

For cleaning I will often wipe down with just a damp rag daily. In the summer when things are really sweaty and dirty I will hose down my girth, breast plate and sometimes my bridle. My tack is still beautiful and I often get compliments on how clean and nice it is Water isn't the devil, we were all taught that at some point growing up, but its not true!

When I am cleaning my tack I use lexol. I love it. It really lathers well, is easy to use and just CLEANS. It doesn't strip the moisture from the tack or leave it sticky which I really like. Every third or so time I clean it (depending on the state of the tack) I wipe it down with Effax Ledar Balsam (or how ever you spell it!). I really rub it in and then leave it either in the sun, or in the winter bring it in my house to soak in. Rub with a soft cloth the next day and your are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by InsideLeg2OutsideRein View Post
    I think the trick is to at least wipe off all tack after *every* ride.
    I'm with you here. It's so much easier to keep it clean if you wipe it down every time. I came to this theory as an adult (never did Pony Club) but I LOVE to clean tack so this works for me. It smells so good.... mmmmm.

I find it best to make it easy: have a hanging hook for your bridle, breastplate, girth and a stand for your saddle near a water source and a bar of glycerine soap. For conditioning (done less often: maybe every 1-2 weeks) I love Effax Ledderbalm(sp?).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

YES Nevr-Dull, ty TBRescue! LOL its tough getting old!

IMO Murphy's Oil Soap is waaay to oily for tack. Makes it sticky/gummy, and attracts horse sweat that you then have to scrape off with your fingernails. Maybe if you never clean your tack, but you would have to use a lot of water. Tack and tack stitching can't hold up to so much oil and water, especially on a regular basis.

Seriously, why look for expensive products when a damp facecloth does a great job?

TBRescue, glad to hear you are a Mad Cow fan!! Maybe we can convert some others!

I also like the effax products, but haven't tried many of the products people are recommending here.

Any recommendations for best metal polisher?

I've seen some of the ladies around here *clean* their tack after every ride and it makes me cringe! The amount of water they manage to get on the leather every day is equal to riding out in a monsoon.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by breakthru View Post
    I also like the effax products, but haven't tried many of the products people are recommending here.

Any recommendations for best metal polisher?
    I really love simichrome. It makes brass gleam-well, that and a lot of elbow grease!

Default polish

I have enough elbow grease activities in my life, so use Nevr-Dull!

clean: I use warm water with a bar of plain ivory soap floating in it. so the water doesnt make the leather sudsy, but still cuts out dirt/sweat...if an area is really gross, i'll make sure i get a little soap on it, and then run back over it with a damp wash cloth after to keep the soap from soaking in... not conventional, but it works really well! (and is super cheap. i treat my leather like my skin...)

condition: I use that orange tub of german-brand leather conditioner. (i can barely read it, let alone remember the name!) I rub it in with my hands while the leather is still slightly damp from cleaning. kinda like lotion on skin. I let it all sit in for a couple hours (bridle apart, leathers off the saddle) and put everything back together, and saddle goes back into it's bag. never gummy, sticky, or slick.

*be it known... i only "clean" my tack when it's either obviously dirty, or every 2 months. I touch it up and condition before shows. Its GA, so the leather never really dries out and gets stiff or cracks!

for my bits and stirrup irons... i throw them in the dish washer! (after knocking/brushing off all the loose dirt/sand)
    for my buckles i use stainless steel wipes...
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

I rarely clean tack, and I think that actually contributes to it's longevity (that and a dry climate) - it doesn't get over oiled or constantly wetted.

That said, when I do clean it I strip it by the sink, use a sponge to scrub every nook with Leather Therapy Wash, then quickly rinse under the tap. I immediately blot with a towel and leave to dry completely.

You do not want to leave soap on leather - the pH is wrong. Hence the rise.

When it's all dry I condition with Stubben Hamanol or Leather Therapy Restorer/Conditioner and put it all back together. I have a $100 bridle that's in superb shape after 10 years.

I have Leather CPR and I hate it - what's up with the all in one things? They just seem to smear dirt around, and Leather CPR doesn't seem to condition well at all.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Reviving this thread because I just tried the Oakwood liquid soap mentioned on page one for the first time. Loved it! Lathered well but the foam subsided so no worries getting it out of stitching and laces on reins. My fave conditioner is still Black Rock Leather Enrich tho Stubben Hammanol is nice too. I am puzzled by the Leather CPR love, too,because I never felt it really conditioned well. Love reading comments on tack products!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I'm glad this thread was revived, only because I generally only remember to clean my tack when there's an active Eventing forum thread on it...can we schedule a monthly tack cleaning thread?

1 members found this post helpful.