The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA-USEF program?

I just bought a new horse that is an Appendix QH. I have no plans to show under the AQHA, but I was wondering if there are any "cross-over"/incentive programs that reward horses that do well in USEF/USHJA competitions.

Thank you!
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Nope.

Even if they did, wouldn't they need permanent papers to be recognized, not Appendix?

I believe they do have something for Dressage? And they have a very nice recreational Trail Riding recognition program when riders can log and track their miles.

But both of these are because they are not offered via exsisting AQHA shows as are the routine H/J classes.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Nope.

Even if they did, wouldn't they need permanent papers to be recognized, not Appendix?
    AQHA offers papers to Appendix Quarter Horses. Most horses in the registry have a significant amount of Thoroughbred blood these days. As a side note, AQHA also has a policy that an Appendix can receive "full" papers once they earn x amount of points. So, you can end up with horses that are 7/8 Thoroughbred registered as full Quarter Horse. There percentages vary pretty widely.

I also don't know of any specific programs to recognize AQHA registered Hunters or Jumpers. But, if you're ever interested, some of the top AQHA competitions have some great horses showing in the open Working Hunter divisions.

Yeah, I know that they have alot of TB, comes up on here alot and I did show QHs years back.

Can an Appendix earn regular points for life? They used to have to go ROM in something before a certain age or they stayed Appendix and could not earn points past that age. Has that changed?

Once an appendix earns 10 points (or their performance ROM) in open competition they can receive regular papers.

If the horse is incentive fund they will earn money for their points. An appendix can be incentive fund as can a regular registry horse.

All points a horse accumulates through out its life in AQHA competition will stay with that horse, regardless if it went from appendix papers to regular papers.

Currently there are no AQHA/USEF programs other than dressage. Which there the horse's score is converted into points. The dressage show must have an AQHA sanction for the horses to be able to receive points.

You can also do the AQHA horseback riding program where you log hours and it goes on your horse's record and you earn awards.

Upper level AQHA shows (world, congress, other larger circuits like redbud, gold coast, etc.) have several USEF hunters and trainers showing there. There is pretty deep competition at some of the shows.
    Last edited by ERollison; Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

Quote Originally Posted by ERollison View Post
    Once an appendix earns 10 points (or their performance ROM) in open or amateur competition they can receive regular papers.
    Last I checked, it was OPEN competition only. Unless the rule was changed this year, which I do not believe it was.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Again, my question was is there any time limit on earning that ROM???

In other words, can I buy a 9 year old Appendix with no AQHA points from track or show ring and show him AQHA in an Amateur Hunter Under Saddle class?

Used to be no. That was a good long time ago though.

In other words, can I buy a 9 year old Appendix with no AQHA points from track or show ring and show him AQHA in an Amateur Hunter Under Saddle class?
    Yes.
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

AQHA has "special recognition" events which allow you to earn points at non-AQHA shows in the hunter division. A few of our local schooling shows are "aqha special events" and offer aqha working hunter, eq o/f, hunter hack, and hunter u/s. They have similar opportunities for dressage as well (just started last year I believe).

Here is a link to one of our local h/j associations which holds a few of the "aqha special events":

www.goshow.org

Like Eventer80 said, yes. There is no separation in competition between those with Appendix papers and those with regular papers. The only differences involve breeding (you can't breed a horse with Appendix papers to another Appendix or TB and have the foal registered with AQHA). Of course, once the Appendix "advances" to the regular registry, so do all of their offspring.

PS. bugsynskeeter, I believe you are correct. I thought it had to be an Open ROM (or Racing), as well.
    Last edited by Annandale; Feb. 21, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add ps.

You can show an appendix in AQHA competition forever and earn points. The only "restriction" is that an appendix can ONLY be bred to a regular numbered QH, not another appendix numbered horse or TB. However, once they earn 10 open points you can upgrade them to regular registry and then they CAN be bred back to appendix or TB's. Other than the breeding restriction an appendix horse is no different for showing purposes than any other REGISTERED QH. Many people errorneously call a TB/QH an "appendix" but that term is ONLY correct if the horse is registered with AQHA as an appendix horse.

Thank you all for the replies. FYI: my horse's dam is 100 percent TB, and the sire is 50 percent TB (but has full QH, not appendix, papers).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

About 10-15 years ago Miller Harness sponsored a very nice year end award for the top placing AQHA horse in USEF classes in the rated divisions. That ended when Miller's ended, and is the only one I know besides the Dressage and Special Event Classes. You can qualify a horse for the AQHA World Shows at those AQHA Special Events at hunter shows, which is a nice thing.

" Thank you all for the replies. FYI: my horse's dam is 100 percent TB, and the sire is 50 percent TB (but has full QH, not appendix, papers). " This means his sire earned his ROM and his regular registry papers, and so could be bred to a full TB and the foal could be registered Appx.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Who is the sire?
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

Quote Originally Posted by ERollison View Post
    Who is the sire?
    The Last Captive