The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Pricing

What would be a decent price for a County Eventer, 161/2 W tree excellent condition?

So greatful to get to ride!

Depends on your definition of "excellent condition", but $1600 to $1800. It also depends on how much you want to get the saddle sold - the sale will be a function of price. The higher the price the longer the sale will take to be completed.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

You mean a County Conquest? Or something different?

When was it made? The first two digits of the serial number will be the year of manufacture. What did they cost new then?

It is black?

All these will help determine your price, too. For County saddles that have been *very* gently used and in storage for a long time, I think you can get close to what their original new price was.

I like the balance and feel of the Conquest very much. I am of the PdN, pancake saddle era. I liked the Conquest I rode in more that the Stabilizer. Being a vain fashionista of the hunter ring, I wish it had a square cantle.

If you mean something that's more like a "jumping" rather than "dressage" AP saddle, I think it will be harder.

The seat size limits you, but the 16.5" and W tree combination will make this saddle great for a kid or small adult on a wide horse. If it's a Conquest, I think that balance will help them enjoy this saddle as it helps with the ergonomic/biomechanical problem of "short on wide"

To me, "excellent" condition in a County saddle means "looks like it's not broken in yet; someone changed their mind." It doesn't look like "shiny with the regular darkened sections on the flaps and seat." That's because these saddles stay in that condition for a long, long time. I'd call that "good," meaning average for these very nice saddles.

If yours is "excellent" in the way that I have described and a Conquest, I'd put the price much closer to the $1,800 unless I were in a hurry and/or didn't want to be bothered with posting lots of pictures.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think with a County Eventer you may be limited as they truly are an AP saddle not a CC. Colour is less likely to matter as they're not something likely to interest the H/J market...

ETA - I'd recommend reposting this to the eventing forum! You're more likely to get a realistic answer there since they're understandably not worth a whole lot to a H/J rider but could be to an eventer. I scoured the internet looking for the "right" used County and couldn't find what I needed.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Agree the Eventer model has a more limited market.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Being a vain fashionista of the hunter ring, I wish it had a square cantle.
    HA! Me too! It's the only thing I wish was different on my Conquest.

I agree that the Eventing board will likely have a better answer on the value of the County Eventer saddle, since it really is designed for that market.
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Feb. 21, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Default saddle

My friend founf this saddle at a used tack shop for 850. She may or may not show. Just wants a comfy one to hack around in. I think it is a great price. It is black.

So greatful to get to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Hunter View Post
    My friend founf this saddle at a used tack shop for 850. She may or may not show. Just wants a comfy one to hack around in. I think it is a great price. It is black.
    I wouldn't pay anything for a black saddle, that, and the fact it is an eventing model, diminishes its value greatly to many H/J people. But if you're just looking for a saddle for pleasure riding its fine.

would you be interested in a 17inch stabalizer xtr? i have one for sale and it needs to be sold asap so i can get another one that fits my horse!!!