The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack cleaning help

Hi, tell me if I am doing something wrong? I probably am. Cleaning various leather bridles/halters with Brass. Every time I do such, the brass cleaner gets on the leather part and vice versa. What to do? Also, what products do best?

Currently, I am using Brasso and Murphy's Oil Soap. I use toothbrushes and old rags.

Please advise,

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I use NeverDull wadding to clean the metal with. Less to get on the leather.
    What ever I do get on the leather I just wipe off before I put conditioner on it.

If you are using Murphy's Oil, be sure you are using the paste stuff and not the liquid. 2 totally different formulations and the liquid is not near as kind to leather as the paste.

FWIW, my former trainer used to clean the leather with Dawn(yes, Dawn), rinsed it well, let it dry then apply a coat of Lexol conditioner. Of course the working students did this everyday. The leather was as soft and shiney and supple as you could possibly imagine.

Nevr-Dull is what I use on my western pleasure show saddles with silver. My WP trainer's dad used it on his uniform brass when he was in the military and she taught me to use it on show tack.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I use Simichrome which can be a bit messy. I apply it with a battery operated spin toothbrush-so much easier! The key to getting the brass shiny is to keep polishing with soft cloth until the cloth no longer gets dirty after each swipe.

I clean the leather first, then polish brass, then wipe off any accidental polish and then condition.

I clean and condition the leather first and then clean the metal. I like Simichrome for the metal, and if the leather is cleaned and conditioned it wipes off of the leather easily.

They stopped making Murphy's solid oil soap years ago, if that's what Megan means by "paste."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I clean my brass, copper, etc with a toothbrush and toothpaste! (I also clean my sterling silver jewelry that way too.) What Renae says is very true--if the leather is cleaned and conditioned, anything else will just roll off.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    They stopped making Murphy's solid oil soap years ago, if that's what Megan means by "paste."
    http://www.colpalcommercial.com/brands.aspx?id=1730

They still make it. It's hard to find.

Agree w/ WishesRHorses, clean with toothpaste. My sister sells silver jewelery and she taught me this trick.l
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    http://www.colpalcommercial.com/brands.aspx?id=1730

They still make it. It's hard to find.
    That's just the photo. You'll notice that the ordering selections are just for the liquid.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OK, Walnut Hill Show kid here...

For brass we used "Peak," it can be hard to find(we always got a jar of it at pleasure carriage driving shows), it's a blue paste. For really crusty brass you can let it dry and then go after it and then it comes off much easier. For the leather we cleaned, conditioned and waxed(had to be buffed to a shine!) and then attacked the brass. Wipe of excess brass cleaner if it gets on the leather.

I've had OK luck with Nev'R Dull, I use it now for quick cleanings. Brasso just doesn't get the nice clean shine that Peak gave me.

Thanks guys!

I never thought of cleaning and conditioning leather first (duh!) and then doing the brass, but that makes a lot more sense.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Another vote for NeverDull!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I know I hadn't seen it in a 'coon's age so kinda figured it had gone by the wayside. Darn it. It was great for cleaning tack. Heaven knows I used enough of it many many years ago.