The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Spring Trail Rides at Morven Park (Leesburg, VA)

Howdy- I just confirmed that Morven will be hosting two rides this spring. The 1st is a "Spring Flowers" trail ride on 17 April and then there is a History Tour trail ride on the afternoon of 15 May (following a Hunter Pace to be held that morning). This year's history ride will focus on the history of the governor's mansion, carriage museum, etc, as opposed to last year's which focused on the civil war sites. They should have/be putting stuff up on their website (www.morvenpark.org ) soon, but wanted to give all a heads up so you could mark your calendars, and if you are like me, arrange for trailering (I share with a friend). Happy trails all!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Will definitely try to get to this. I went on the historic one last year and it was a lot of fun for me and my retired event horse.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Do they offer stabling? I could combine these rides with a trip up to see my husband, who is deployed up that way. I"m in FL so obviously would want to stay overnight.
    What a treat to be able to ride at Morven Park.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

How long / what distance are these rides?

When my horse was lame and going to the vet every month, I joked that if she really wanted to go to Leesburg, we could go to Morven Park instead of going to the Equine Medical Center. It would be pretty funny to actually do it. Is it a walk hack mainly? We are doing walk / trot / tiny bit of canter rides of approx. 40 minutes now, but I think she could be up for a longer hack by then.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Smile

They do have stabling for a fee, also can hanlde limited campers (but horses must be in rented stall).

Last year's ride was about 5 miles, took about 2.5-3 hrs because there were a few stops and lectures along the way and the general time taken to move 45 horses (including one donkey). Contact Shannon at Morven for details. www.morvenpark.org or 703-777-2890 ext 0.

My 24 year old retired show horse is planning to attend
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org