The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zipper back tall boots that DONT bust

I'm in need of new tall boots (much sooner than later), and dont have the time to have customs made, besides I wouldnt mind spending money on a few other needed things as well (like those Baker breeches I just found <3)

I've gone through 2 pairs of Ariat zip boots now, and it's beyond frustrating. I paid $400 for the first pair, and the second pair were given to me (thank god). I know I can just go get the zippers replaced (for $75 each, and after replacing both, Im almost at the price for brand new ariats). I've heard if I call Ariat, I can send them back and they'll fix it, which I might do, but that wouldnt solve my time crunch issue, or I might just break down and buy a 3rd pair, or, GASP, get boots that dont zip

I was wondering if anyone has had success with a pair of field boots, that zip up the back, that arent customs, that the zipper hasnt busted on. I will give credit that both pairs have had their fair share of rides, and both are several years old.

HALP!!

I think even the boot company reps would say that the zippers just can't last forever. I have heard that the metal zippers are better than the plastic ones. I have the Dover brand zip boots and they have lasted really well for me, but they've spent most of the time sitting in my closet (my horses prefer handwalking to shows...don't need tall boots for that!).

Those few shows that I did make it to, I always brought my old pull-on boots as back-ups for when/if the zippers blew on my zip-ups.

I am sorry I have no help - but I needed to whine that every boot now has zippers and those tabs that snap across the back like a half chap. I don't like them. Not even the Monicos.

I am looking for a new pair of boots because I tore mine (soooo sad) but cannot find anything I like.

I hope you do find something - I am watching this thread!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I've only had mine for a year so I personally can't speak to longevity, but all the good things I heard about Mountain Horse zippers is why I got mine!

I also have a pair of the dover brand boots. This is my 8th year with them and they are still going strong. Never broke a zipper (and they aren't loose-they fit like a glove) and I wear them at least three times a week if not more. The only thing I've had to get replaced on them was the elastic ties....but that was a whopping 5 dollars or so at a cobbler.

If you have Ariats, and use the boot tree that comes with the boots (like the Monacos) check to see that the boot tree is not over-stretching the boots. I noticed mine were stretched taught and starting to get a small rip. I wound duct tape around the boot trees, making them smaller, and no more pressure on the boots when I'm not wearing them. The tiny rip didn't get any bigger and the zippers have been fine, going on Year 3.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

youre lucky the zippers lasted as long as they did. mine lasted 6 months before exploding, and i dont even walk in them!
    thankfully ariat is replacing the zippers for free
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I have a pair of Rectiligne boots (French company) that have held up amazingly well. I have had them for over 4 years and they are still going strong even after averaging 20-25 rides a week.

Through this whole fiasco, I have come up with a boot design that will solve this zipper problem. Now, to patent it, and sell it to Ariat! muhaha.

I'm going to look in to the Dover boots, how were they as far as breaking in, and leather quality?

Same for the Rectiligne boots?

I sent my Ariat Monacos in to have the zippers replaced when one of them blew up. The new zippers are much, much beefier than the old ones and have held up well so far. I would send my boots in (and it's $75 for both zippers/both boots, not per boot....Ariat did it free of charge for me) and have the zippers replaced if they fit you well.

My Sergio Grassos have a nce metal zipper and they've held up really well over the years. My Vogels also have a sturdy zipper that hasn't had any problems over the years. My Vogels do not have a snap tab at top.

As for the snap tabs at top.....you want them for the long haul, or at least I do. Not all boots "need" them initially, but at some point there's a good chance that the zipper will "relax" to the point that it will unzip itself, especially if they're snug at the top at all. I've had a couple of pairs of half chaps that I wish had the same type of zipper tab that Ariat puts in their boots now (with the little zipper-lock extra piece of leather under the snap tab).

Quote Originally Posted by AliO View Post
    I'm in need of new tall boots (much sooner than later), and dont have the time to have customs made, besides I wouldnt mind spending money on a few other needed things as well (like those Baker breeches I just found <3)

I've gone through 2 pairs of Ariat zip boots now, and it's beyond frustrating. I paid $400 for the first pair, and the second pair were given to me (thank god). I know I can just go get the zippers replaced (for $75 each, and after replacing both, Im almost at the price for brand new ariats). I've heard if I call Ariat, I can send them back and they'll fix it, which I might do, but that wouldnt solve my time crunch issue, or I might just break down and buy a 3rd pair, or, GASP, get boots that dont zip

I was wondering if anyone has had success with a pair of field boots, that zip up the back, that arent customs, that the zipper hasnt busted on. I will give credit that both pairs have had their fair share of rides, and both are several years old.

HALP!!
    WOW $75 for zippers? The most I have paid is $25, and they have lasted forever.

My der daus have good zippers on them I find, actually that is my favorite thing about them. You can by them off the rack too.

My Ariat zipper boots have never had a problem, but I do not wear them that much and I also buy a pair that fits properly.

I think a lot of the problem with the zippers boots is that people still buy boots a little on the small side, assuming they will stretch. Leather will; cloth, metal and plastic will not and it is likely that stretching causes weakness at the zipper.

I know many people have problems with Ariat zippers, but if you've busted the zipper in multiple boots, I'm inclined to believe that you're boot doesn't fit appropriately.

Anyway, I will second the recommendation for Mountain Horse boots, namely the Supremes. The zipper is pretty heavy duty; I can't imagine it popping.

GASP, get boots that dont zip

No Zips at a nice price if they happen to still have your size

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I have a pair of Rectiligne boots (French company) that have held up amazingly well. I have had them for over 4 years and they are still going strong even after averaging 20-25 rides a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    My Sergio Grassos have a nice metal zipper and they've held up really well over the years.
    ^^These^^ I have a pair of each, and both have held up extremely well. No problem with the zippers in almost 6 years for either pair. Now if I could just find the courage to send my custom pull-on Vogels back to have zippers installed I would be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I forgot I have a pair of dress boots from Rectiligne and they are pretty nice for a zip boot. Haven't used them much but thank goodness for the zips when I did because I was pregnant and gained weight in my calfs and had to leave the top unzipped to wear them in a show LOL....

I still prefer NO zips for a field boot. But I guess I am old school again!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I know many people have problems with Ariat zippers, but if you've busted the zipper in multiple boots, I'm inclined to believe that you're boot doesn't fit appropriately.

Anyway, I will second the recommendation for Mountain Horse boots, namely the Supremes. The zipper is pretty heavy duty; I can't imagine it popping.
    My first pair could have been customs, they fit exactly how a tall boot should fit. The second pair was a LITTLE tight in the calf, but they busted in the heel (same place as my last pair). The person who gave them to me thought she had problems with the zipper before, but they worked for a few rides just fine. They were just a temporary fix, so I could order new customs, so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Sergios are nice, but I'm getting customs, so I cant see spending that kind of money on a temporary or schooling boot. I've found some good deals on Ariats (so yes, this thread was pointless lol) so I think I'm just going to order a new pair, and maybe go get the zippers replaced immediatly with a heavy duty zipper. Hopefully they last me a couple months *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I would disagree with this if your busted boots have been Ariats. I think that Ariat has been using subpar zippers (compared to some of the custom and even off-the-shelf boots) for years. But the zippers they replace their zippers with are really nice. And from the day that I stuck my boots in the bag to ship to the repair center, it took only 2 weeks to get them back. So not a long repair process.

I've used and abused my boots (all 3 pairs of my zipper boots were killer tight from day one) and haven't had any problems except with the Monacos. And they popped at the bottom of the ankle, not at the calf.

So my vote still goes to repair if you like the boots enough to have them around for a few more years. And really, $150 for new zippers in two pairs of boots is not all that comparable to another pair of boots unless you're getting really cheap boots.

I'm going to look in to the Dover boots, how were they as far as breaking in, and leather quality?

Same for the Rectiligne boots?
    I could have sworn Rectiligne made my Dover boots, but I'm not sure why I think that (not stamped or anything). Since I got mine several years ago, I'm not sure how the quality compares to what Dover offers now, but mine are very nice. I thought they were nicer than my custom Dehners or my trainer's Vogels. No major problem breaking in -- I think I had a hard time zipping that last little bit at the top at first, but eventually they were fine. I always put a bandaid right there at the back of the knee to protect it until the boots drop a little as I've learned I get rubbed there and I hate reliving that screaming Psycho shower scene when the water hits a rub...

As far as quality goes, I have been quite pleased with the rectiligne boots. The leather is nice- soft enough to break in quickly but stiff enough maintain shape and last a long time. The finish on mine had a nice luster but they weren't super shiny. Overall they are nice boots that will certainly last.