The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default some jingles, please? jockey injured in fall

Jockey Eibar Coa took an ugly spill today at Gulfstream. Last I heard, he still has no feeling in arms or legs. He'll be going in for surgery on his c-4 vert tomorrow morning, from what I'm being told. He might be a jackass at times, but I'd prefer him to be a HEALTHY jackass! So, jingles, folks? Here's a link to the bloodhorse article: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...lfstream-spill

Sounds like there are some good signs he's recovering some functions. Praying!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Prayers and jingles for a good recovery.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Default Yackass or not....

....he deserves some yingles!

Rally dude! Hope all goes well with your surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Somermist View Post
    Prayers and jingles for a good recovery.
    For sure, all the best for a very speedy recovery...

Eibar, who just turned 40 last week, has some upper body movement and feeling following Saturday's surgery but only in his arms. He'll have another procedure either today or Tuesday. TB Times update Sun 2-20 @ 7pm:

Jockey Eibar Coa has some movement in his arms and shoulders with feeling throughout his body following surgery on Saturday to repair a broken C4 vertebra.

According to his agent, Tito Fuentes, Coa has no movement in his legs but remains in good spirits. He is scheduled to undergo a second surgery on Monday or Tuesday at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, Florida.

“As of now, he can move his arms and he can feel everything,” Fuentes said on Sunday morning. “He just can’t move everything, but that isn’t to say that won’t change.”
    Wishing him all the best with the upcoming surgery as any life altering injury is terrible.

As an aside, but related story: former steeplechase rider and owner Irv Naylor, who was paralyzed in a 1999 fall continues to explore the scientific path for regaining his ability to recover. PA Equestrian Feb 2011 "Champion Owner Hopes For Personal Triumph"

excerpts:

Over the past decade Naylor has persevered. In addition, he has championed a cure for spinal injuries and has given a reported $3 million to help fund research at Michigan State University. While his horses will compete in the 2011 NSA campaign, Naylor may be on hiatus. Last fall he agreed to take part in groundbreaking stem cell research treatments and is slated to undergo stem-cell surgery in April.

Shortly after his accident Naylor says he turned his interest, instincts and intellect toward a cure for his paralysis. Initially, he sought out researchers at Advanced Cell Technology that had been involved in the cloning of Dolly the sheep.

Naylor recognized stem cell research as his best hope, and the best hope for others suffering from paralysis. Many experts believe that stem cell therapy could transform medical treatments for "incurable" diseases such as spinal cord injury, heart failure, Parkinson's disease, kidney failure, retinal degeneration, and diabetes. The confusion surrounding “human embryonic stem cells” and “human therapeutic cloning” research has led to a strong negative public debate.
    Naylor’s latest obstacle: FDA approval that could take from two to ten years. Safety precautions for the patient are at the root of the lengthy delay, according to Naylor.

“That time frame is not in my comfortable horizon, so we have a meeting set up for April 2o in Hong Kong to present our case to do this procedure over there,” he explained. “ If they agree to it, the operation could be a few days later. If it falls through that will be a large and bitter pill with all the time, energy and money that have been put into this study. “

Naylor says the April 20th date is especially ironic, a few days after his accident’s date that is never very far from the front of his mind.
    Additionally as this was mentioned in a prior thread: Naylor has been in touch with Chester County jump jockey Jake Chalfin, offering support and advice. The amateur rider suffered paralysis from the chest down in a fall at the Blue Ridge Fall Races in Berryville, Va. last September.

Sending prayers and jingles for Eibar and Irv. Such a dangerous occupation, and they are tough people to go through all of this.

Prayers and jingles from us too....

A good news update on Eibar Coa and his progress from the Daily Racing Form March 28, 2011 - see the video here of the rehab:

Jockey Eibar Coa has begun taking the first steps on the road to what he is hoping will be a complete recovery from injuries suffered in a spill at Gulfstream Park at Feb. 18 that originally left him paralyzed throughout most of his body.

Speaking from his room in the rehabilitation center at Memorial South Hospital in Hollywood, Fla., Coa said Monday that he is able to walk short distances and is undergoing three hours of therapy daily.

“I can’t walk completely on my own – I always have someone behind me in case I lose my balance – but I am able to walk about 10 to 20 steps by myself then I need a little rest and then I can walk maybe 10 more,” said Coa, 40. “I can walk good with assistance. The doctors say they are so proud of the way I’m recovering. They tell me everything is coming way too fast, that they’ve never seen anybody regain movement the way I’m getting it so far.”

Coa fractured the C-4 vertebra in his neck in the spill, which occurred while pulling up following the conclusion of the sixth race on Feb. 18. He also suffered a broken left wrist and broken left shoulder in the accident.

“The doctors said they are going to release me from here in two to three weeks at the max and I’ll be able to continue my therapy from home,” said Coa.

A benefit golf tournament for Coa is to be held on Tuesday at the Woodmont Country Club in Tamarac, Fla. Coa said he is hoping to be able to attend.

“I am going to ask the doctor for permission to go this evening,” said Coa. “The big problem is that the special wheelchair I’m using doesn’t fold, so finding suitable transportation will be the big problem. But if I can get there, I really would love to attend.”

Continued jingles........

Awesome news...Steve Byk commented on Eibar's great progress this morning.

Great news!

A local news station down there did a story on him. It's easy to forget he's also dealing with a broken wrist that required two surgeries, and a broken shoulder (I think -- o r maybe a collarbone).

http://www.local10.com/video/27367871/index.html

Truly amazing.

Brisnet April 14, 2011 "Coa released, walks out of hospital"

"In all my years of neurosurgery never have I seen a case, an event, this impressive and this miraculous. To have a man who's completely paralyzed from the neck down -- a complete quadriplegic -- and then be able to get up and walk is an extremely rare event," said Dr. Scott Berta, the Memorial neurosurgeon who performed two surgeries to stabilize and repair Coa's injury. "And do to it so quickly on top of it is pretty much unheard of."

Dr. Allan Novick was also impressed with Coa's attitude and work ethic during his on-going rehabilitation.

"He had a positive attitude. We just gave him the tools that it takes to work through this and continue to develop the strength sufficiently, first to move in bed, then to stand and progress ultimately to walking and caring for himself," said Novick, director of Rehabilitation Services, Memorial Healthcare System. "With the combination of having the right attitude and the right tools, he was able to overcome."

Coa, who has ridden 4,080 winners, said he and his doctors couldn't have achieved the miraculous recovery without the support of his family and people in the racing industry.
    His goal is to ride again. To appreciate just how amazing it is that he walks out of the hospital you have to recall the injury:

"Eibar had a C-4 fracture dislocation that was extremely severe. It was a severe spinal chord injury. We actually term it a complete spinal chord injury. He was a complete quadriplegic," Berta explained. "His MRI indicated that it was severely traumatized and that he may never walk again."

Default Jingles!

Hi All,
    Although I know many people think Eibar is a tad difficult or don't like him, he does have a kind side and a good heart. I am so happy he is making significant progress.

Jingles for Eibar!

Hallie

It is so nice to be able to see true miracles in progress even if the persons disposition may not be everyones cup of tea. I truly pray he is able to continue on with his recovery. It gives hope to all.

Yippeee!!!!
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Default Wonderful news

I'd like to access his records to know what his medical history is regarding this incident.

THIS is why Rick Hansen wheeled himself around the world...(and the countless others who support spinal cord research.) It is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Truly amazing.
    Those exact words came to me as I watched this film.

Great news for anyone, and sounds as if Eibar is humbled by his "luck". May it carry him through from here on in, and positively affect others.