The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fly killer bugs

I'm thinking about ordering some of those little bugs that kill flies. If you have used them whats Your favorite brand? Any likes or dislikes? Any suggestions how you used them that worked best. Thanks

I get mine from Arbico Organics. They're very good at keeping up with my schedule. I get a phone call every year when it's time to reorder. Do not skimp! Order the full amount you need, and you won't be disappointed. Mine come in separate shipments according to their recommended schedule for my area. All I have to do is distribute them without the chickens getting hold of them. I have found that something magical happens around year three. Until then we still had a few flies, but at year three there were none! This doesn't mean you can stop using the predators, btw. I had a friend who tried that. The flies came right back.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

We use them religiously (Arbico). We're surrounded by other farms that don't so, although we still have flies, they are manageable.

Now, if I can just find something for the horse flies....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Ours come from Spalding labs and definitely an improvement with them. Unfortunately large horse farm neighbor does not, so if you don't have that you should have even better results. I believe I read that the predators only travel a few hundred feet and flies with trave up to 1 mile If you have chickens or other fowl they will eat them but they do have recommendations for using them if you have the birds
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have used them for years. I get mine from Spalding Lab. They are just who I started out with. The customer service is great and I've never had any problems. Kinnip is right - don't skimp. Depending on your situation, the predators may not eliminate the fly population completely, but in time you will see a noticeable difference! I couldn't be more pleased.

Arbico Started with spalding, switched to arbico. I feel I get a larger order with arbico for less $$$ I also use the quickstrike strips in the barn for the few straglers.

I also keep the barn doors closed on the sunny side...back in the morning, front in the afternoon. Keeps the flies out and the barn temps down too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Trail View Post
    I have used them for years. I get mine from Spalding Lab. They are just who I started out with. The customer service is great and I've never had any problems. Kinnip is right - don't skimp. Depending on your situation, the predators may not eliminate the fly population completely, but in time you will see a noticeable difference! I couldn't be more pleased.
    This.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I had five horses last summer and used a full Arbico unit which is for 6-10. Did that the summer before. They definitely work and help tremendously.

This year I have only four horses and am trying to get rid of some of them. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the full unit or only a half unit. Thoughts?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I would go with the regular amount for one more summer, then if you do have less horses, you can cut back.

We started with Arbico, then had two shipments one year that didn't seem to hatch at all, didn't get any satisfaction from calling them, so changed to Spalding and that is who we have used the past two years, may again this year.

I think both are really good anyway, either brand will work fine.

We definitively had a massive change the first two years, from covered with flies to practically none and since then very few in the wetter times.
    We don't have neighbors with horses close enough, but have our own cattle right by the yard and the predators used for the horses seem to keep those flies down too.

Some say they don't seem to work where they are, I wonder if they have other kinds of flies mostly, that the predators don't work on?
    They sure do here.