The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who are the best clinicians?

In your opinion, who are the best clinicians? Hunter and Jumper. And do you have contact info/pricing for hosting their clinics? You can PM me if you want/need to.

I have been to a dozen or so clinics, and BY FAR HANDS DOWN, the winner was Nick Karazissis (sp?)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Im interested in hearing this as well.

Good ol' George

I would say hands down Melanie Smith Taylor.....

George is outstanding of course but I would also recommend Candace King, Greg Best, Archie Cox (he's a character and very informative), and Frank Madden (also a character!). I'm not sure if John French does a lot of clinics but he would be awesome (I've watched videos of his and he was great).

Summer- I'm excited that you guys will be hosting a clinic! It's been a while since we've gotten a really good clinician here in Tulsa!

Once you get the clinic all set up, please send me the info! I would love to come up to OK for it!

Default Best Clinicians

If you are in the Pacific NW - Claudia Cojahar from Hope, BC - one of the best!
    kenyagirl

Greg Best!
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I'll second (or third) Greg Best.

But my all-time favorite was Joe Fargis. If I ever have the opportunity to do a clinic with him again, I'm grabbing it!
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Greg Best absolutely. Ive ridden in and audited a lot of clinics and he is just in a league of his own.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Julie Ulrich. catch her while she is still in the U.S.....

Greg is a great clinician, but he is only in the US for limited times as he lives in NZ. So your clinic would have to be scheduled around that.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I would love to clinic with GM - I hope I can find a clinic within reasonable distance at some point in time.

I learned an incredible amount from riding with Mike Plumb, he was an amazing teacher.

I agree with others who say Greg Best.

I've ridden with a lot of very BNTs over the years and Greg is the only one I've ever gone back to regularly and now consider my "full time trainer" (as much as you can consider a person you see 4-6 times a year a full time trainer anyways). He's also the only one I've ever ridden with who is equally effective with every horse I've put in front of him (running the gamut from hot to dead and broke to unbroke). In addition I think he's as good with short stirrup and lower level riders as he is with the most advanced groups.

With that being said, he may be a little more difficult to sign up for a clinic than a US-based trainer. He keeps a pretty solid clinic schedule that doesn't have a lot of room for new clinic hosts.

I absolutely adore Greg Best.

All above mentioned are great clinicians. No question. But I find that the clinic world also has to get a bit like the horse show world. There are levels of riders in different areas.
    For instance, I am a fairly good painter. I do not need Picasso to teach me more. I most likely need the guy that teaches water color on PBS.
    To get someone "famous" is a way to bring participants if you think it wouldn't fill with just good teachers. You can charge more with famous people, but you also pay them much more. If you need famous names to fill, then more power to you.
    You do not need Beezie Madden to teach the 2'6" hunter riders. As gracious I am sure she would be, uh.. over qualified for the job. There are great teachers that are here for that job.
    That being said, the best teacher I ever knew hated horse shows. Yeah, she was a wierdo and not commercial. ( For the record, I have been a pro, rider and trainer of many USEF AA horse show champions, not trying to blow hard, just trying to say look outside the box)) There are so many people that are not neccesarily famous that can come and do great clinics for reasonable prices.
    Not to say any of your choices are not GREAT ones. If you are trying to run a clinic to make money.. Go on with it. But there are so many good teachers especially for novice level riders that are not famous but will raise the level of riding and horsemanship in a very special way. Best to you.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Just a post script. Best clinicians are not always Rock Stars.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Bernie Traurig is a great clinician. He really enjoys the ones at the low levels as well as the big jumpers. Must be his Pony Club beginnings. Focuses on being a partner with your horse, still rides beautifully, quietly - can demonstrate what he wants, and the horses love him.

Julie Winkle is also a great clinician. From soup to nuts - she recently did a clinic with everything from 2'6" to the big jumpers. She goes over conformation, the little bits and pieces that make a winning ride, and inspires riders at any level to think.

Two super clinicians for any level who also happen to be Rock Stars.

I think one thing you can reliably get out a clinic with any of the mentioned trainers is at least one bit of knowledge that you can use nearly every day. I am constantly channeling Plumb - "Connection! Not getting that horse on the bit!"- he read my horse and dissected our issues before I even got on There is something that resinates through us humble riders with these Rock Stars.

The other thing many of us our privileged with is Youtube. We can see the Rock Stars teaching and analyze bits of their teaching style to see if it coincides with our learning styles. The chance of learning from the Rock Star is much greater than those hidden-gems because of this.