The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ceiling fans in barns??

Has anyone tried putting ceiling fans in their barns? How did they work or did they? Did your horses freak?

I have an old bank barn that I'd like to install ceiling fans insead of the two large industrial standing fans for this summer. Any ideas???
    Last edited by MoonWitch; Feb. 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Moved to Around the Farm
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

We had cieling fans at the barn I was at and at the barn I am at currently. As long as it's waaaaaaaaay above them and there is no way they can hit the fan, they should be fine. Ours were/are about 10-15 feet above their heads.

If you can't install them high above their heads, I recommend the industrial standing fans or something encased instead.

Have them over certain stalls at the barn we board at. LOVE them. They make a HUGE difference in interior stalls on hot days. Ours look like some sort of industrial model - I don't think the Home Depot type would hold up to all the dust.

We put industrial agricultural fans in last summer. I have been less than impressed.

I have 2 in my center aisle, barn is only 30 x 60, and each stall has it's own encased fan as well. The ceiling fans in the aisle are metal blades. Been up there at least 25 years, they are on a reostat switch so I can adjust the speed. Work great, however the birds flying thru the barn don't always fair so well....

My neighbor has these in his 100'x150 cutting arena and he likes them, said they make a big difference in the summer.
    They hold cuttings in there, it is not just a training barn:

http://www.bigassfans.com/media/tag/equine

Worked a huge bank barn 30 plus years ago.
    Very deep and poor air circulation, installed industrial/Ag ceiling fans. They were close to the ceiling and we had like 6 of them. What a diffrence..nice air flow and we got rid of the Huge box fan on wheesl and finaly could hear ourselves think. Very nice...

Cool Closed Motor Industrial Ceiling Fans Work GREAT ~ HORSES DO NOT FREAK ~

Closed Motor Industrial Level Ceiling Fans work nicely ....

Horses do not freak ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"