The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Pittsburgh, PA

Question Stupid helmet and short hair question

Okay, this is NOT about doing hunter hair.

My issue is that I just got myself a new helmet and I realized trying it on that since the last time I rode regularly, I've cut my hair significantly - it used to be long enough to pull back into a ponytail, and now it's in a chin-length-ish bob. So if I'm not careful how I put my helmet on, I end up with bits of hair sticking out every which way and it looks silly and is uncomfortable.

At the same time, I'm prone to migraines from headbands, so I don't want to wear one under my helmet to hold my hair back. (Unless I can find a nice wide one that will spread the pressure a lot... Will look.) What else should I try? Bobby pins to clip the hair at the front back? Or will they tend to dig in? Bite the bullet and try a hairnet?

Like I said, I'm not trying to do hunter hair - I just want something comfortable and not-annoying for schooling in that doesn't require seven tries to put on my helmet to get everything arranged Just So.

Due to the migraine thing, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has ideas that would narrow down the list of things to try before I go off and start randomly trying things and giving myself unnecessary headaches.

wow I totally feel for you!

I too cut my hair a few months ago, and when I did it was very difficult to get my helmet on. I used those little clips that you bend to snap them into place, those never bothered me.

I also am prone to migraines (that's why I cut my hair) so even ponytails could cause one (combined with the sun and heat of So. Cal.)

I have used a jelly head band, I wear it under my ball cap and when I take that off to put my helmet on everything stays in place. It is wider so it's not bad, but there are some that are like 2" wide and a soft cotton. Those might work for you too.

Short hair did not work for me and I am growing it back out now. It's back in a pony tail again!

New England

Have you tried a hair net?

These work well for me, I have the same problem with my hair. The band lays very flat. I forget that I have it on and the band doesn't seem tight at all.
    "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him."~ Jayne Cobb

USEA-Area 3/USHJA-Zone 4/USDF-Region 3

For schooling, I use weak, skinny elastic headbands like this under my helmet:

They stretch really easily and don't dig in; I can't even feel them under my helmet. They also keep the fit of my helmet the same, where a bigger/wider headband might make it fit too tightly.

I have really fine hair, so any kind of hair clip, bobby pin, or ponytail holder works loose and gets lost before I am done riding.
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

I'm not a fan of hairnets for everyday either, I use a bandana with my shorter hair .. just fold it into a triangle shape and tie under your head.I tuck the knot up under the ridge of my helmet. Its not overly fashionable but it does the job and isnt noticeable, also helps wick the the sweat away by your forehead (no pimples from the helmet band)

Azle, Teh-has

here's a bad one.

I have used sporty haft spray before.
    It takes a bit of struggle to clean off but there is nothing that works better.

we also use it to stick our top hats to our heads.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!