The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bordeaux (United/Gribaldi) opinions?

Has anyone got experience with the young stallion Bordeaux (United/Gribaldi) owned by PS and Uytert?

I did a forum search and found a thread from 2009, and was wondering if there were any updated experiences.

I'm completely enamoured with the damline, he comes from a mare of the Adone mare line that produced Rubinstein and Rembrandt and what pics/video of him I've seen have been impressive.

He's only young so I'm wondering about semen quality, has anyone got or is expecting foals by him? What are your opinions on him?

He's a definite candidate for my Ronaldo/Donnerhall mare for next season, her breeder and I feel he could be a very complimentary cross for her based on looks and breeding but he is a wild card being so young!

Any positive or negative opinions and information most welcome
    Last edited by madamlb; Feb. 17, 2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo

I love his looks and I love the pedigree. I remember reading on Scot Tolman's journal that this stallion has OC or OCD. Not sure if that is an issue for you. Also, I believe he is co-owned between PSI and Van Uytert. If Van Uytert is doing the freezing, I would be very worried. If he is being at Paul Schockemohle's, then should be fine.

Yeah I was aware of the Uytert caution over freezing, I'm not sure where Bordeaux is being collected and frozen.
    However, I hadn't heard about the OCD, and just went and read the journal. That's enough to write him off for me, and that's a bummer because his breeding is fabulous and he looks wonderful.
    I wish there was a little more information about the OCD, and I think it's interesting that apparently the selection committee deemed this acceptable when apparently it normally isn't ...

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by madamlb View Post
    Yeah I was aware of the Uytert caution over freezing, I'm not sure where Bordeaux is being collected and frozen.
    However, I hadn't heard about the OCD, and just went and read the journal. That's enough to write him off for me, and that's a bummer because his breeding is fabulous and he looks wonderful.
    I wish there was a little more information about the OCD, and I think it's interesting that apparently the selection committee deemed this acceptable when apparently it normally isn't ...

Thanks for the heads up!
    IF he was xrayed before stallion approval and showed OCD, he would not have been approved. You should be able to find out if he was xrayed.

He's been discussed before...I remember that it was said that he had "OC" and not "OCD". He was approved with that apparent on his x-rays, which I guess is unusual for the KWPN? But approved never the less.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Here is what it says on Scott Tolman's journal:

All that I've seen is what's written in his testing report, published in the lastest issue of IdS. My translation could be off--I read it to say that he has class C OCD in his right hock. The stallion selection committee followed that with a sentence that I think translates to the fact that they have the authority to deem this as acceptable even though it normally isn't.
    Source

That's all I've been able to find thus far on the subject. I have to go ride my horses and then will continue google stalking. I did think it was quite unusual that they would approve him considering.

This is the thread that discussed OCD (have fun ). Bordeaux is never referred to by name (that I recall/could find) but he is the KWPN stallion referred to several times in the thread due to recent approval with OC/D.

Caitlin
    Caitlin

What's OC compared to OCD?

I would love to use him on my Rubinstein mare, BUT.............

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    What's OC compared to OCD?

I would love to use him on my Rubinstein mare, BUT.............
    Read the thread I linked, but I believe OC (osteochrondrosis) is the lesion while OCD (osteochronditis dessicans) is the lesion + chip. But I'm on my phone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Caitlin
    Caitlin

I've learned more since posting about Bordeaux. It's OC, which means a flattening of the bone, no chips. Exactly what this means to longterm soundness, I don't know. That's all I know.

saw some super foals from him last season, really good improvements over their dams. But I want to see him stay sound through competition to dispel any worries over soundness before I breed to him.

But on looks, pedigree and foals I love him
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Sorry to pop any balloons, but there still is no frozen semen available from Bordeaux

Smile Frozen

I believe you can get frozen here: http://www.a-1performancesires.com/O...g/Bordeaux.asp

In Aus, you can get his frozen from International Horse Breeders
    Not that I will be I don't think. Back to the drawing board I guess, but could we get a full brother with no possible soundness issues ... in black ...

Thank you everyone for your input, this forum is such a good source of information