The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Anyone have a horse show expenses spreadsheet

I know one of you Excel gurus out there must have one with cells for division costs, braiding, splits, trailering, hotel fees, etc... would you mind sharing so that I don't reinvent the wheel? TIA

God forbid! Then I would have to acknowledge what I spend, and my guilt would make me quit. Unless Mr. Kestrel did one for his race cars....

3 members found this post helpful.

I have one but it's pretty basic and you could definitely duplicate it...

I break it down in to a "barn charges" section, "horse show fees" section, and "my fees" - like hotel or gas - section. Then I have three columns for each section: charge, # days, & total. I use a formula to multiply the charge by the number of days to get the total. Then I can sum up each section and know what my "barn charge total," "horse show fee total," and "my charges section" are.

Yes, sometimes it's frightening to look at the totals...

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

No kidding. I started one, and keep having to minimize it when Mr. Justice walks by. I think it's better if he just knows the round dollar figures rather than sees terms like "horse show nanny" in black and white. Yikes.

Don't want to know and don't want to leave any evidence.

Dawn

1 members found this post helpful.

Although looking at the totals is scary, I have found having the spreadsheet really helpful when I want to use my show budget wisely, and get more of a "big picture" look...

I show in the Adult Jumpers, and certain shows have higher entry fees for that division, higher nominating fees, etc. In a couple instances, my spreadsheet helped me realize it would be cheaper to attend an out of state horse show with cheaper entry fees, nominating fees, and office fees, than it would have been to attend my local summer show, even when I included my hotel & food money.

THAT is the benefit of the horse show spreadsheet

Wink DON'T DO IT!!

My husband created a separate folder for our horse expenses two years ago...We use Quicken for household finances. Ummmm....it actually made me ill to look at all of the $ flying out the door...it was even worse when I looked at the subfolders - horse shows, board, training, feed, home barn expenses, vet, farrier, etc. When you look at the grand total it hardly seems correct. I think my words were something to the effect of, "No, that CAN'T be right?!"!!!! Let's just say that if you love your hobby and your horses you would rather not know! I was blissfully ignorant and now I'm unhappily informed!

It really does put into perspective how much it costs to show and makes you think twice about how and where you do it! I was showing a lot and we were hauling big distances (both in our personal setup - included in the horrific expense folder) and in my trainer's huge truck and trailer. I really changed my show schedule this year, both due to a move and setting different priorities...I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you really separate your finances into a horse and other you might be unpleasantly surprised.

I have one I can send you. It is definitely helpful in analyzing the best way to spend your money; although it is very depressing looking at the totals every month and know exactly where your money is going!

Good lord no! Then I would have to look at what I am spending in black and white...the horror!!

Yes, I have one for the farm (business) and one for my personal horse. They are both equally depressing...I only look at them when I must. You can create one yourself quite easily using excel or a similar spread sheet program. Then you can include all your own categories, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    Good lord no! Then I would have to look at what I am spending in black and white...the horror!!
    That's why I use color

I let my DH do my barn taxes one time.. he looked at all the income and said he didnt realized I was rich.. then he looked at the "out" part..did some quick math and well... you know,lmao. He has never asked to help, since and that's fine with me.

Yes, it's frightening to see the amount(s), but if you SERIOUSLY have a limited horse show budget to work with each year - which I do - the spreadsheet has been a really valuable tool to help me make the most of my money.

That being said, I DO NOT have one for the general monthly horse expenses... The thought makes me cringe.

mom did one for one year and then stopped. now we just close our eyes and write the checks

If anyone wanted to email me their spreadsheet for shows, too, just to avoid the duplication of work, and maybe point out some expenses I forget to include, I would be thrilled.

I would use it not to dismay myself (I know how much I spend as I do keep track) but just to help me pick shows.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    Ditto ditto ditto!!!!! We HAVE to keep the records ( to keep the taxman happy) and several years ago when we were campaigning a couple horses in Zone 3 we realized that ( we are a 2 income family) we had spent my whole years income on showing/ expenses. Thouhg we did get a zone award, talk about depressing...Showing is defintely not a sport for the faint of heart or shallow of pockets. I will try to send his spreadsheet your way.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

Hi showidaho, would it be possible to get a copy of the expense spreadsheet that you have used? It would help me SO much. Thanks!

Lordy I don't really want to know! I have a good guestimate of what I spend but to write it down would just give hubby a real heart attack Denial is the best!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!