The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default it's a water trough, NOT a swimming pool - photo link added

ELMO - 1
    JACKSMOM - 0

i now know why ponies are so damned cute. it's to keep us from killing them.

it's mid feb, and 70 degrees here today, clearly it's a good time to go for a swim, according to the elmo pony. this is behavior that he usually saves for late summer, so clearly spring fever is upon us. it's a metal trough and he's unshod, so he doesn't do any real damage, but the problem is that the mare will absolutely not drink from a soiled trough (and i don't blame her one bit). fortunately she's very vocal to let me know that it is something that needs immediate remedying, even though she's not yet remotely thirsty.

so my current solution is put the trough up on a sturdy layer of centerblocks, effectively raising it up 8 inches. elmo is a medium pony, if he wants in now - he's going to have to rear himself up quite a bit to clear the edge. i'm hoping this works. i guess the next step would be to add a cover with an opening that's just drinking size.

anyone else had to deter trough swimming? what do you find is the most effective method? electroshock therapy? ponycide?

it's going to be even warmer tomorrow...
    Last edited by jacksmom; Feb. 17, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Where the grass is always greener on the other side.

Default No solutions I just want pictures!

Love it and I love ponies! You have got to post pictures!

I feel your pain. My 10 mth pregger mare still goes swimming in the trough. I'd like to kill her but she more resembles a hippopotamus when she's doing this so I end up laughing instead.

Edited to add she's not a pony either so think - really big hippo
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Videos and pictures PLEASE
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

the pony riders were still napping, so we have photos.

apparently the appropriate protocol after a trough swim is to cover yourself in dirt.

who's a premium member that can post these?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    apparently the appropriate protocol after a trough swim is to cover yourself in dirt.
    Sure, don't you dry off and cover yourself when you get out of the pool?

Mine doesn't go swimming, but he uses his giant head to splash almost all of the water out of the tank. Daily. Then he also rolls to re-apply the protective coating of dirt.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

ok - the offender is now on photobucket -

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/jacksmom2/

(hope i did this right)

whew. that coverage is quite impressive!

I'm sorry, this is amateur stuff. I mean, how big is that pony? My 17.3 h wb had mud dried on so that he looked like he was encased in cardboard from head to toe...no water trough needed.

We need swimming pics. THEN I'll be impressed...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I second the request for swimming pics! lol and yes... ponies are too cute to kill lol
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

A number of years ago, my dear 16.2h TB and his buddy the 16.1h TB used to think it was great to each jump in with your front feet and then play halter tag with your buddy while in the water trough... caught them on multiple occasions... boy Rubbermaid troughs are made well!

Now we just have our Rottie who thinks all water troughs are just for his swimming pleasure. Even does so at my friend's farm...

And for more water trough antics, last summer I made the mistake of trying the fish in the water trough to stop algae trick... Caught 2 of our mischievous ponies with their heads in there, water up over their eye balls and a fly mask in one of their precious little lips being used as a net. 3 of the 5 little fishies were m.i.a. ... Never knew ponies loved sushi so much...

Cooper is under the strong impression that he is one of those Chinese Terra Cotta horses

http://www.chinapictures.org/images/...4113647330.jpg

http://funpresident.com/wp-content/u...ian_museum.jpg

He feels it necessary to apply a new layer of NJ clay whenever possible.

My semi-rescue horse likes to swim in the water trough, and with the warm spell we're currently having ... well, I've just given up on filling the trough very far so I dont' waste as much water when I dump it daily. Sigh. And pulled the tank heater out, of course.

I tried putting it up on blocks last year, but I have two mini-donks as well, and if it's high enough to discourage (not prevent, just discourage) swimming, then they can't drink out of it.

So, I dump and scrub, dump and scrub ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by trinityhill View Post
    And for more water trough antics, last summer I made the mistake of trying the fish in the water trough to stop algae trick... Caught 2 of our mischievous ponies with their heads in there, water up over their eye balls and a fly mask in one of their precious little lips being used as a net. 3 of the 5 little fishies were m.i.a. ... Never knew ponies loved sushi so much...
    My pony has killed many a fish in his short life. Once caught, they are left to die a cruel death on the ground. The least I could hope for is to play with the darn thing like a cat does a mouse, but no.. he's to prissy for that kind of play.

Here's a picture of my 17.2 darling imitating a chocolate dipped marshmellow:

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/mudroom1/

he spent a good 15 minutes churning up the mud puddle before proceeding to wallow in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudroom View Post

he spent a good 15 minutes churning up the mud puddle before proceeding to wallow in it!
    Well played, Mudroom!!!

you WIN the muddiest horse contest!

He looks so coy: "who, ME?"

Timely thread - I told my husband today that spring must REALLY be here since my 6-yr-old mare climbed in her water trough and splashed most of the water out. She makes a HUGE racket while doing this. Then of course, she had to go roll afterwards.

The ironic thing is that I then had to groom her before I took her SWIMMING (literally - she goes swimming to help build up strength in her stifles.)
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique