The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you consider building an 8 x 10 pony stall?

We have a barn with two 12 x 12 stalls and a 9-foot-wide aisle. Then there's a wall down the long side of the aisle across from the stalls, totaling 24 feet long, behind which is a 10-foot-wide garage bay. We're going to take down the wall and make the garage side into more stalls and a tack room (YAY) but I'm struggling to make it all fit into 24 feet. My initial thought was to have two 10 x 10s and a 4-foot tack room, but DH is now saying he thinks 4 feet is too narrow (and really, he's right). He wants to do a 10 x 10 stall, an 8 x 10 pony stall, and a 6 x 10 tack room.

We do plan on getting a pony for DD sometime in the coming years. Also our horses use their stalls quite rarely--they live out 24/7 and only come in when the weather is horrid or the trimmer or vet is here, pretty much, and for tacking & grooming. Do you think 8 x 10 is adequate for this kind of usage for a small pony? Also, do you think I would be limiting myself too much by building a stall that could only be used by a tiny one? What about the tack room size--would 4 x 10 just really suck?

What if someone needs to be on stall rest?

My tack room is also my feed room. It's 12x12 before the plywood sides went up, so remove about 3" across each directly. I just have tack for 2 horses (ok a wee bit of tack for a 3rd, but it's hardly noticable), and between that, garbage cans for feed, cabinets for storage, it's NOT very big at all.

4x10 could be just fine for JUST a tack room if you have lots of hanging space. Most front doors to a house are 3' wide, to give you something to compare to. Most interior doorways are 2' wide.

Stalls/rooms that small will suck for resale, IMHO.

Well, I suppose if someone had to be on stall rest they could use one of the 12 x 12s for most of the time, and just move over if one of the big horses had to come in.

The horses I have here now are 16.3, 16.1, and 15.1. Right now the 15.1 horse lives in the aisle during blizzards--we put up 2x4s and make her a 12 x 9 "stall" right in the aisle. So ghetto, I know. So she'll be the one to live in the 10 x 10 when it's made, and the pony stall will be for an imaginary future pony. We will be using the tack room for feed also.

I guess the options for adding new stalls really are:

Two 10 x 12 stalls and NO tack room at all
    Two 10 x 10 stalls and a 4 x 10 tack
    One 10 x 10, one 8 x 10, and a 6 x 10 tack
    One 10 x 10, one 9 x 10, and a 5 x 10 tack

Make the 8x10 and 10x10 with a removable wall so it could be 18x10. Or do a 10x10 and 6x10 with removable wall, the 6x would really be a pony tie stall though.

How likely is this future pony, maybe just do the 10x and have the rest as tack feeding room. If a FP does come along deal with it then

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

We have large horses - 17+ and above - the only one that has a bigger stall is the 17.3hh mare - she makes less of a mess in the bigger stall - the others are 10 x 10 and I have one 8 x 10 - that I use for foals/yearlings and occasionally I put one of 16.2hh horses in it and she is just fine - she lays down in it.

Our horses are normally out all day and in at night only if it is cold or bad weather.

I say go for it. If you can make a removable divider like LBR suggested between the 10x10 and the 8x10. As far as resale, someone could use the 8x10 as a storage area or tack or feed room if they didn't want to have such a small stall-- no big deal.

At a barn that I used to board at there was a teeny shetland pony that had a teeny stall-- like 6x8-- he only came in during horrible weather but he was fine in there.

I have 3 10x12 stalls and one 9.6x12 stall. Why? Because apparently a 40' long building is measured on the outside, LOL!
    The difference in the interior dimensions and adding insulation left me 6" short for the last 10x12 stall. And you know what? I can put my 15.1hh horse in that one and he farts around in there just fine! Turns, harasses the neighbor, lays down flat out and rolls without issues.

My horses do have 2 of the 10x12 stalls and the small stall is storage right now. But it's there for a pony stall and a large pony would be perfectly fine and not cramped in there at all. Bigger is always nicer, but we work with what we have. A removable/swinging divider is always a bonus to have, so consider putting the separating wall on hinges or as a slide out.

But I don't think that size will be an issue for any pony.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I would do it with a divider as suggested. Cannot imagine big horses in an 8x10? Funny, Nanny has a 12x12 as that is all ive got... Its like a paddock to her
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

An 8' by 10' would be fine for a pony IMO. I once had a 4' by 10' tackroom and while it works, it was pretty narrow. Good for storage but you can do any tack cleaning in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    What about the tack room size--would 4 x 10 just really suck?
    My tack room is 5x12. I guess it depends on your definition of "suck". No, it is not a luxury tack room with washer/dryer and sink for cleaning tack. But it has room for enough tack for 3 horses! You just have to be really good about utilizing your space. i have 7 saddles, six bridles, as well as all of the other bandages/boots/helmets/odds and ends that come along with horses, plus I keep some of the feed and some farm tools in there. As long as i keep it clean and organized, I never feel cramped.

Winter blankets though, I do not keep in the tack room. During the winter I hang them on the horses' stall doors, and during the summer I have them cleaned and then store them in zippered bags, in another shed.

Thanks for the input! I am feeling better about the 8x10 stall. Most likely we will go that route, and probably will use the small stall for feed/shavings/tools until said future pony appears. I'll post pics when it's done!

Would you consider building an 8 x 10 pony stall?

---------------------------------------------------------------

TOTALLY!! Because then you would have to fill it!

and make a pony sized height on an open fronted stall door for that little charmer to greet everyone! Then send pics!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Default I have a 4 x 12 hay area

It's too small for a pony, but will hold about 40 bales of hay. You can easily use it for a feed/tack stall if you are careful about your design.

My current tack room is just under 8 x 12 and it's like a galley. Of course the horses and donkeys could all walk up into it and turn around easily before I installed the cabinets. ;-) That said I would loe a 12 x 12, but needed the hay storage area, so I am sooo glad I did it the way I did.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

The barn where I board has two pony stalls about that size. It is primarily a pony barn, so there are plenty of little ones who fit in there. They're plenty big for small ponies, who can't even see over the doors of the big guys' stalls The medium & large ponies are OK in there for short overnight stays, and we've even had some of the full size horses in there just for feeding.
    The removable wall is a great idea if you can do it.

My mother's barn has three 12x12s, one 10x12 and a 9x10 "pony" stall. It has housed many ponies, some weanlings and for overnight it also works for a smaller horse.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Default Freaky....

I was about to start a thread asking a very similar question! I am designing a new barn and it going to include two 12x16 foaling stalls. I will likely have a couple of ponies kicking around for the forseeable future and a couple of weanlings, so I thought, heck, how about I complement them with some 12x8's and then the rest of the horses can have the typical 12x12. I was just kicking around that idea and wondering if 12x8 is workable or not.

My current barn has all 12x12 prefab stalls (that I can't sub-divide) and while I like that size for most horses, weanlings and ponies look sort of lost in the 12x12's.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Seeing as you already have two decent sized stalls and if your horses really don't use them very often you could also go with standing stalls.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

When I lived in NC I had a barn with an 8x12 feed/hay room. One winter I had 5 horses living on the farm and only 4 stalls in the barn. Usually not a problem because the weather in NC is mild and the retired horses spent all their time outside in a field with a big run-in shed. That winter we had severe ice storms that left the ground totally unsafe for the horses to be out in. I moved the hay into the wash stall and the grain cans into the tack room and put a 16H horse in that 8x12 room. He fit just fine and spent most of his time standing with his head out the gate and playing kissie face with the horse in the next stall. He was neat and used the back of the stall to poop in and hung out at the front of the stall. I never saw him laying down, but he had enough shavings on him to show that he not only laid down, but also either rolled or laid on his side. I think 8x10 is plenty big enough for a pony to live in, especially one that will be spending most of its time outside! Just make sure the gate is low enough for the pony to look outside, I always feel sorry for the little ponies that can only reach their noses over the stall doors!

Oh, and we have a 4ishx10' hay area too. We have heavy oak gate across the aisle end. You can back a horse into it (small pony can turn around), and before the gate was built we used it as a straight stall. The hay drop is above it. We had a 2x4 ladder built straight up the wall on one side, and filled in behind each rung with strips of wood so a person (or cat) can climb it, but a horse or pony cannot get a leg in it. Usually it is used for hay, but makes an extra stall in a pinch.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

My barn just went from 2 12X18 stalls with a 12x20 run in, to a 4 stall barn...the run in was turned into 2 10x12 stalls upon the purchase of a 3rd horse alst weekend for my son. She is a barely 14hh old lady who has plenty of room and seems quite content in her smaller quarters. If it were me, i would do a 10x12 use the rest for tack, feed, storage or whatever.