The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Questions about jumper optimum time

I'm reading the USEF rules on optimum times and am trying to figure out some things.

Are both the first round and jump off timed under Table IV Secs 2a and 2b?

Exceeding the time allowed incurs a fault per "commenced second"--does that mean that riders earn faults only for full seconds, or also for fractions of seconds? In other words, if entry A goes over the time allowed by 2.5 seconds, to they earn two faults or three?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    Exceeding the time allowed incurs a fault per "commenced second"--does that mean that riders earn faults only for full seconds, or also for fractions of seconds? In other words, if entry A goes over the time allowed by 2.5 seconds, to they earn two faults or three?
    THREE
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks, Janet! And both rounds are timed? Or just the jump off?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Both rounds are TIMED. but treated differently.
    Table IV 2a

2. Optimum Time in First Jump-Off
    a. Table IV Sec. 2 (a)—The first round and first jump-off are decided by adding
    together the faults incurred over the course and any penalties for exceeding the Time
    Allowed. In case of equality of faults, ties will be broken on the following basis: an
    “Optimum Time” (defined as 4 seconds less than the Time Allowed for the course) will
    be posted on the course plan; the horse with the time on course closest to this
    Optimum Time (over or under) will prevail in the tie, next closest next, etc.
    In both the first and second round, you will get penalties if you exceed the Time Allowed.

If there are ties (after adding together jumping and time penalties from both rounds) then closest to the Optimum Time, in the second round will be used to break the tie.

I agree it isn't 100% clearly written, but the second/jumpoff round, if there is one, is always the "tiebreaker". And the title of section 2 is
    "2. Optimum Time in First Jump-Off"

The difference between 2a and 2b is whether you do the second round right away, or later.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I see--now that you've parsed it out for me, I understand.