The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default One More OTTB Confo Critique:) Video added

Hey all,
    So I am going to look at this horse again this Saturday.. For some reason he is really stuck in my head. I want to get some other opinions though because I might just be in love with his eyes Please let me know what you think??? I am looking to do Training (Long Format) maybe Prelim if I get the guts..

http://hiddenfoxfarm.shutterfly.com/761

Pedigree:
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y
    Last edited by Marney; Feb. 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Video added

I'm no conformation expert, but I really like him! I think he has a sweet, honest head attached by a nice neck to a super nice, well angled shoulder. I like his topline and his angles in his hindquarters, plus he looks nicely uphill to me. Legs are my downfall, so I won't comment on them either way. Overall, he looks athletic and like he could very easily do prelim level. If you like riding him and he vets out well, I think he will make a great partner for what you are looking for.

Good luck!

I would of course make sure that scar is as superficial as it looks from the photos.

Beyond that, he's not my type, but that's more based upon my riding strengths and challenges. I like his overall balance a lot, and of course OTTBs tend to be athletes anyway. I'm not a fan of his shoulder, in that I look for a lot of dressage potential - the humerus is shorter than I like to see. However, that is actually probably a positive for his gallop, which will likely have less knee than the horses whose builds I like! His back would also probably be a little long for me - but it is in no means objectionably long. I like their backs objectionably long according to many people. I like his topline and back end a lot, and to me those are the most important things when I am looking at a horse (besides legs/soundness.) Nothing's glaring at me as far as the legs go, and there is a lot to say about that gut "I can't forget him!" feeling as long as you're in a situation where you're able to retrain him/get the necessary help.

Basically, he has nothing I find objectionable, and a lot I find positive, so I say if the PPE works out and you love him, GET HIM!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Marney-

He's super cute! Love the face!

As for conformation, overall, I think he looks fairly well balanced and powerful and with some weight and conditioning, should shape up into a fine specimen. Like the last poster, I love his shoulder, topline and hip angles. I like a horse with a bigger bulkier rear end, but his looks strong enough that some conditioning and hill work should do the trick.

A few things I would watch out for:

- Upright pasterns, especially behind. This might make him kind of a clunky mover with his back legs, and could potentially impact future soundness. His hocks look pretty straight to me too, which wouldn't help.

- Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like he might be a little over at the knee. If so, that can make for an overly laborious trot that wouldn't be entirely ideal for Roads and Tracks.

- That nasty scar on his left hip. Looks like it might be pretty superficial, but make sure to poke around it and feel for soreness or sub-cutaneous scar tissue. Also, try to get the full story on what happened there.

I don't know that any of these things would limit him from a career as a Training/Prelim horse, but they are worth considering.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the great replies... The scar was from a gate accident when he was a two yr old. It was superficial and nothing came of it I did poke around a bit and it didn't seem to bother him. I did look closer at his legs when I went two weeks ago and they look better in person because I was a bit worried about the pasterns myself. I will have to look more at the knees when I go again this Saturday with the hubby...Yes he is coming with to check out the personality since he would be at our house and we would both take care of him

This is great advice....

I am not a conformation guru...he is lovely to me. Looked up his racing career, here is what it says:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...832&registry=T

He is still racing....was breezed on Valentine's Day!

He started in the big leagues and moved to PNW after two CA starts. There is a break or two in his racing....not sure if it was for any injuries. Have you been able to talk to any of the grooms or backsiders? Any idea about his temperament and mind?

Good luck!

Thanks for the racing career information.. He is still racing but they are trying to get him sold sooner rather then later. His owner is his trainer and only has two horses in training. They are really nice people and have nothing bad to say about Davis. They rode him off the track and also used him as a pony horse. He is used to leg pressure and w/t/c pretty well... She was riding in a stock saddle when she ponied with him. He would stand there with all the craziness of the track going on around him and just watch everything happen...He is really cool...

not a fan of his neck.
    He looks like he might be super wiggly.
    and that neck will invert easily...as it sits inverted already.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Marney View Post
    He is really cool...
    What fun! Really nice that his owner is looking for a career change sooner than later. Hope all works out for you and Davis...and that DH concurs. (Oops, sorry to derail the conformation critique).

Again, not a conformation guru, but there's a lot to like there. I personally love that shoulder, but I look for jumping and galloping aptitude before dressage. The back is middle of the road, I lean toward a short back but there's nothing wrong there. He gives a nice, balanced picture.

Upright pasterns, yes, so something to keep an eye in for longevity's sake, but I certainly wouldn't pass on him for that. I think with some work and remuscling he's going to be a handsome hunk. I wouldn't worry about the way his neck looks now, that's will all change with work over his topline.

I'd say go check him out, he looks nice.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Thank you!!!! I watched her ride him and he actually moves really level with a good outline.. I am going to look closer at his legs and I want to get a better look at his back since he is a bit longer then I usually like... These posts make me feel a lot better because I wanted to make sure I wasn't just falling for a pretty face No worries Justa Bob I love the encouragement.

I think he's very cute and looks balanced. His neck is a bit upside down right now but I've bought OTTBs who started out like that and with proper training, they muscled up nicely.

Definitely get a good PPE. I think it's great he's still racing but I think it's a good idea to get films of front feet, ankles and hocks at a minimum.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    not a fan of his neck.
    He looks like he might be super wiggly.
    and that neck will invert easily...as it sits inverted already.
    His neck looks EXACTLY like my horse's neck (a TB), who has no tendency to invert at all - no running martingale needed - in fact, if he fights contact at all, it's to pull down and be heavy.

The long-ish back and sloping shoulder also look like my horse, although this guy has better hindquarters. And mine is a nice mover for a TB!

Hard to tell just from pics, but I don't see any problems. Just be sure to vet, and ALWAYS offer less than asking price!

I am looking for a forever horse not a resale and vetting is a must for me. I was going to offer 2200.. Is that a bad offer? I've never made an offer before because I bought my last horse from a friend and my others were rescues and very low priced in need horses. I am so hoping my hubby likes him

Quote Originally Posted by Marney View Post
    I was going to offer 2200.. Is that a bad offer? I've never made an offer before....
    I did notice he was priced higher than any others offered for sale. But he also looks nicer. Am curious what other folks think about the asking price ($3200). It seems the East Coast OTTBs average lower than that figure? And I am not sure about CA OTTBs?

Here are the current horses listed:

http://hiddenfoxfarm.shutterfly.com/

I like his over all silhouette
    The scar totally looks as you say superficial.
    his neck will fill in that tiny dip and it certainly comes out the top of his withers and far enough up in the chest.

One small item?? why is he wearing galloping boots? Horses on the track almost never go out in boots??
    The photos make him look a tad over @ the knee or is it the boots.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not to be a wet blanket, but you can do a lot better for a lot cheaper, IMO. Unless you have fallen in love with him in person and his mind and movement give you the warm fuzzies, I'd keep looking.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Wow, those upright pasterns really jumped out at me. Don't like them at all. Other than that, he looks a lot like my new guy, only more handsome!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

This is great information.. I of course love him but like many of you said the price is a bit high and I would have to offer a lot lower. I think I would really like to stay around $1500 but I am not sure they would take that. I guess if they don't it's not meant to be. I am not in any hurry to get a horse so I can continue shopping.. I do really like him but I wonder if it is because he has the head and eye that my wonderful horse that I owned 26 yrs had that just passed this Sept. My heart maybe overtaking my brain. He does have a super cool personality though..

She does work him in boots and I am not exactly sure why..I should ask if the other trainee goes out in boots or if it is just him.

I guess we will see tomorrow morning

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    I did notice he was priced higher than any others offered for sale. But he also looks nicer. Am curious what other folks think about the asking price ($3200). It seems the East Coast OTTBs average lower than that figure? And I am not sure about CA OTTBs?

Here are the current horses listed:

http://hiddenfoxfarm.shutterfly.com/

He's also done more than just race. He's been ridden off the track, WTC and has been a pony horse. That is probably why he is priced higher. But there are pleanty of race horses (really nice ones) that are priced higher then what you see on CANTER. CANTER has a price limit....so not all available horses are listed there.

I looked at a really nice horse, trained on the farm, hacked out abd really well started, big and correct...fancy mover. He was priced at 10K....and was still racing. He was priced that high because he was still a good race horse. Someone else got him before me...and sold him for 25K in three months and I'm certain he will be worth a lot more in a pretty short time.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **