The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles in the Truck -- storage options??

Like most other equestrians I know, my truck is a tackbox on wheels.

I have an extended cab F-150 and usually keep the back bench seats flipped up and use that space as my "trunk" area for tack and groceries and stuff.

I am wondering if there are any options out there for saddle racks that would fit in such a space. Right now my (rather large) dressage saddle is on the floor of the truck, covered, sitting on its pommel, but I am wondering if there is a way I could transport it upright instead.

Does anybody have any good solutions??

The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

If you get the right size Rubbermaid tub -- I believe it's the 18 gallon -- flipped upside down they make decent saddle racks. They're soft enough and rounded on the bottom so there's no hard edge pressing into the panels, and tall enough to keep the flaps up off the ground. A dressage saddle might be a bit long, but for under $10 it's worth a try, and can be used elsewhere if not.

http://www.target.com/Rubbermaid-Roughneck-Storage-Tote-Blue/dp/B003UA7COY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&keywords=rubbermaid%20storage&s earchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038576 |1287991011&searchPage=1&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-3&qid=1298048000&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin% 2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I've got my saddle in the trunk of my car as we speak....
    I've seen these before and thought they looked kinda cool and you can probably make one for your self to your own dimensions: http://www.saddlestandsforvehicles.com/

I was thinking that if you wanted to make it to fit on your truck seat you could make the front legs longer to reach the floor....it would be custom made for your truck.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    yup. like that i don't know if that would fit in the space. maybe. I'll have to measure!

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    If you get the right size Rubbermaid tub -- I believe it's the 18 gallon -- flipped upside down they make decent saddle racks. They're soft enough and rounded on the bottom so there's no hard edge pressing into the panels, and tall enough to keep the flaps up off the ground. A dressage saddle might be a bit long, but for under $10 it's worth a try, and can be used elsewhere if not.
    another great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I've got my saddle in the trunk of my car as we speak....
    I've seen these before and thought they looked kinda cool and you can probably make one for your self to your own dimensions: http://www.saddlestandsforvehicles.com/

I was thinking that if you wanted to make it to fit on your truck seat you could make the front legs longer to reach the floor....it would be custom made for your truck.
    LOVE this idea...I could probably cobble together one out of PVC pipe this weekend, seeing as that's all this is anyway...

I have been told that a hot car is a really bad place to keep a saddle..... transport is one thing, but storing it there day after day..... not for me. I have heard that the tree can warp in the heat, and I know it will damage the leather....

L