The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Panacur vs. Safeguard

Today I placed my order for spring Power Pacs.. This time I went with Safeguard because it is slightly cheaper.. though I have to ask.. both "panacur" and "safeguard" are the same generic drug, and manufactured by the same company.. sooooo why have them both? and why the price difference.. is one different? better?

On a side note ..some humor.. as I sighed in the response to the individual price... I told the nice lady I needed 10. TEN! she exclaimed you must have a lot of horses... ah yes I replied.... I have ...ten. (duh)
    At least I get TWO free Uncle Jimmy's hanging balls...
    Last edited by SportNCurls; Feb. 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: I will never have perfect spelling on the first draft.. or the second.. or...
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

1 members found this post helpful.

My guess was the Safe-Guard line was originally sold for all the other types of farm animals. If you do a search on Valley Vet's site you'll see Safe-guard available in many different types, thee are pellets, there's a liquid drench, and various sizes of paste. To save money on the double dose for 5 days deworming I buy the 290 gm tubes which fit into a caulking gun. They are $39.95 from Valley Vet. These are super easy to use and I can do one of my horses with slightly less than one tube. My two guys are 1000 lb and 1100 lb. I believe you could deworm a 1200 horse for the 5 days of double doses with a single tube. Big savings in $$$, especially when deworming more than one horse. I cannot figure out why so horse owners will try the big tubes. The dosing on the tube label tell you how much dewormer to use, yes it says for cattle but the dosage exactly matches that for horses. The tubes have a longer plastic tip that easily inserts into the corner of the horse's mouth and reaches back to the cheek/molar area. My guys stand like champ as I "caulk" them!

chicamuxen

Safeguard Power Dose comes in 2 weights - 1100 and 1250lb. The Power Pack is 1250. Make sure you got the right one

When I do a Power Pack, since I'm doing it on multiple horses, I use the liquid Safeguard for goats, bought at either Tractor Supply or Southern States. Much much cheaper than a "pack", and easier to give since it mixes right in with food

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Safeguard Power Dose comes in 2 weights - 1100 and 1250lb. The Power Pack is 1250. Make sure you got the right one

When I do a Power Pack, since I'm doing it on multiple horses, I use the liquid Safeguard for goats, bought at either Tractor Supply or Southern States. Much much cheaper than a "pack", and easier to give since it mixes right in with food
    can you tell me more about this regiment? sounds like it might be a cost effective method for me as I want to powerpac everyone this spring since I've acquired 3 more over a year and want to get everyone on the exact same schedule.

Panacur was orginally sold as a veterinary product only. They they brought Safeguard as the OTC version. I don't understand mega company marketing. Now Panacur is OTC for large animals too.

Price difference is prob a reflection of the "need" to recoup the FDA associated costs on getting Panacur approved, way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum81 View Post
    can you tell me more about this regiment? sounds like it might be a cost effective method for me as I want to powerpac everyone this spring since I've acquired 3 more over a year and want to get everyone on the exact same schedule.
    Safeguard liquid, for goats, at either TSC or SS, is the same concentration of fenbedazole - 10%. So, the dosing is the same - 4.6mL/100lb per day for each of the 5 days.

If you have, say, 3000lb worth of horseflesh, you need 138mL worth of liquid each day, or 690mL in total.

The smaller bottles are 125mL (you'd need 6), but they do come as large as 1000mL (you'd have leftovers).

So, whether you go with multiple 125mL bottles, or a 1000mL bottle (not sure if it comes in, say, a 500mL bottle?) depends on how much total weight you have to deworm.

Odorless, pretty tasteless, easy peasy to put in the feed. I usually fix a small serving and make it extra yummy with a wee bit of molasses, or a few spoonsful of applesauce, or something, just to lessen the risk even further of them not eating it (all), and then feed the rest of the meal after that's done. Their bowls get licked clean every time.

Bumping... is the carrier paste the same too? Are there any differences at all besides the label? I see on the label info that Merck/Intervet markets both, and both are manufactured by DPT Laboratories of San Antonio, TX.

I find all of this very interesting, especially the information on the liquid for goats. One thing I would like to point out is to make sure your horses are getting ENOUGH wormer. I bought a OTTB last March that was thin and I kept trying to put weight on him worming him regulary and alternating wormers. He is 17.1hh and when filled out a very impressive boy. But while trying to put weight on him I consulted my vet and she told me to make sure that he is getting enough. He is roughly 1300-1400lbs, and since he is so big she told me that I should probably be powerpacking him with 1 powerpac tube and 1 regular tube. And I firmly believe that made the difference, because as soon as I did this he started to pick up weight very fast.