The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm so Proud! -and- Share Your Greenie Updates

I just have to share with someone, as I'm on Cloud 9 and I can hardly stand it...

Today I took my coming 6 TB gelding on his first outing to school at Highfields in Aiken. I am so proud of him; he did so well - in all aspects. He loaded with no problem (which he always does, but still..), waited on the trailer while his companion visited the vet for an hour, unloaded at the show grounds as cool as a cucumber, tied to the trailer, tacked up with no issue, and marched right into a ring full of new and exciting things like he could take on the world. We shared the ring with another rider having a lesson, and we began ours with my instructor. We flatted, and then we jumped around - only his fourth time jumping! He's never seen a roll top, but popped right over - even cantered in the second time sooo nicely! I made mistakes - I'm no professional - but he just filled in the blanks. Even afterward, our companion horse spooked very big at something and spun into him. I felt the thought of flight cross his mind, and just as quickly vanish when I sat deeply. He rooted himself to the spot, and just waited while the other horse had a minor meltdown. I had just kicked my feet out of the stirrups to dismount, and I was truly in a vulnerable position with my weight shifting to dismount. He was as solid as a rock though, and knew his job was to "be good".

Today, I was so. absolutely. proud. My instructor was beaming, as she knows what today meant to me. All of the "little things" he does without issue, like the loading, trailering, clipping, etc.. I treasure them! Then there are the bigger things, like being so sensible, brave, tolerant, and smart.. these characteristics are priceless to me!

I lived a dream today. I went out with my horse who is incredible, and we both had a FANTASTIC time. He's so green, but I see great things in our future. He brings me such happiness, and I still can't believe he's my partner.

I'd like to hear what others are doing with their greenies, especially about milestones (whatever they may be). Do you have a youngster who made you proud recently? Please share!

Congrats! Sounds like he's coming along quite well

Today my 'green-eventer' but not so green horse, decided to levitate - too bad the only obstacle near by was the dirt! I do not wish to flirt with the rafters again, thank you, nor does my ass want to be that far out of the saddle. Was quite pleased to get a mouthful of mane & neck instead of dirt! I blame it on the dress-age, and the lovely weather that went from 55f to 30f just for my lesson. Winter...

My IDSH just started his training, but is really focusing and trying
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Goodmorning - I absolutely know what that levitation feeling is! Glad you ate the mane and not the dirt. How old is your green-to-eventing horse? Did he have a previous career?

Horsetales - I know a number of IDSHs and they are such good youngsters! Some take a while to mature, but in my opinion, they often have such good heads on their shoulders and most certainly do try. How old is he?

OTTB...attempted-hunter...pasture pet...eventer

Chaotic rings - particularly warm-up rings - have been his undoing. Today another horse let out a few big bucks, flew dirt in our general direction & off the indoor wall, and you know the rest of the story. He did go right back to work after the incident, versus it blowing the whole ride, so there's some improvement.

We have actually started to jump in a way that does not frighten (most) of our audience! This is a major victory for my redhead TB mare.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Sounds like a great day. It's so rewarding when your green horse suddenly "grows up".

My 4 year old hasn't done anything nearly as exciting recently--we are still stuck in the indoor while the snow melts. But, her dressage work is really improving this winter. We had a lot of milestones last summer/fall. She learned about trailering, shows, dressage rings, and x-c jumps. She did 3 BN events and was a complete star. I couldn't be more pleased with how well she is doing.

Here's a link to a video of us doing a little gymnastics exercise in November (before the snow flew!) Hope the link works!

http://TwoManyMares.my.nero.com/blog/7430293

I was beaming yesterday too thanks to my greenie, even though we didn't accomplish nearly as much as you! I took him out for his first real trail ride all by himself for the first time ever and he never so much as snorted. He was soooo relaxed and willing to go wherever I asked him, including when a couple of cars passed us on the way out and scrambling up a really narrow deer path without even a second of hesitation. Even on the way home, he was totally calm without a hint of rushing back to the barn. I can't wait to start doing more with him!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Thanks guys for all of the good stories!
    Catie 79, I have totally been there with past horses! With this guy, I just felt like everyone around us should have been frightened just when we were learning to canter and turn at the same time. Apparently no one knew just how much work that task required, and that sometimes things were a bit dicey. That made me feel like I was good at making things look more calm than they were!

Slp2, your 4yo is doing great! My guy has only done a few gymnastics... I need to be a bit stronger before I add in any bending lines on him. Your mare looks so game though, and really "at home" in her body for being so young! She looked big to me, but in my experience big = longer maturity, which is why I'm surprised.

MightyBobby, I think the first trail ride is a huge milestone, especially if there was no drama! It is so nice when you can have a horse who lets you enjoy riding out, as opposed to worry about every step of the way. Congrats!

That's wonderful FF! I got an OTTB a little less than a year ago, and with building a barn and fencing and moving the horses home, wasn't able to do much with her. This was our first winter without an indoor and with all the frozen ground and ice she hasn't done anything in over 2 months. I hopped on her yesterday for the first time, and she went around like she could have won a pleasure class! She can get frazzled really easily so it was absolutely joyful, especially after being out of the saddle for so long

Love those days when they just make you smile from ear to ear! Do share some pictures!
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

My greenbean, who I broke in November, won his first combined test at Sporting Days last week He was a good boy with all the distractions going on at the show...and I was so proud of him!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Love those days when they just make you smile from ear to ear! Do share some pictures!
    Wow, I'm impressed Inquisitive! I think a lot of horses would be feeling their oats after two months off, and then being ridden in the still-chilly days! Very cool!

I don't have any photos from yesterday as my instructor has one arm in a sling right now, and her other arm was holding a horse. There is a photo of him on my profile though. That was taken in November, right after I bought him. I need to get update photos as he's come sooo far in a short amount of time, and his body has changed considerably as well. In fact, I was just talking to my dressage instructor about doing a dressage schooling show at training level with him soon - I don't think she'd have suggested it if we were going to make fools of ourselves! The day of that photo we were excited that he carried himself somewhat for two or three strides

Tarheelmd, that is crazy awesome! Congratulations! I think you win the prize for doing the most in a short period of time! My dude was broke, but just barely so when I got him in Nov. It takes a lot of work to keep on a good and forward learning track in just a few months; It is great that you are reaping the rewards already. We are going a bit slower as I started getting back to real and serious riding WITH the greenie, so my strength has just about been maxed out. I'm just managing to stay ahead of the curve though, thank goodness! My big boy is still growing, too, so some weeks he deals with that "new body" feeling. We are trucking along though, and will hopefully be in your shoes in a couple of months! Congratulations again!

My boy is 8, but under saddle for 9 months, so do we count? I got on him yesterday after 10 days off due to extreme cold, a lost shoe, and my not feeling well...I rode yesterday but was definitely not feeling 100%, and he was such a gentlemen despite the snow sliding off the roof, other horses in neighboring pastures calling to him, and the fact that it was feeding time for everyone else (food is a BIG DEAL in Charlie's life). He even carted my butt over a little 18" wall that we did toward the end to give him a break from flatwork, landed quietly cantering, and halted at the end of the line.
    The last lesson we had, maybe two weeks ago, was when I really realized how cool he is. It was his first time doing a triple combination, and he handled it like a pro, even when I was an idiot and practically dropped him after the first fence (embarrassingly this happened more than once ). I could almost feel him sigh, roll his eyes, and go "okay, Mom, I got this from here."
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Congrats! Sounds like he's coming along quite well

Today my 'green-eventer' but not so green horse, decided to levitate - too bad the only obstacle near by was the dirt! I do not wish to flirt with the rafters again, thank you, nor does my ass want to be that far out of the saddle. Was quite pleased to get a mouthful of mane & neck instead of dirt! I blame it on the dress-age, and the lovely weather that went from 55f to 30f just for my lesson. Winter...
    I'm glad I am not te only one with some "interesting" rides lately. My pony is actually incredible smart and sane and brave, so chaos in the ring or the weather doesn't really effect her at all. I have discovered however that she has the most pony of pony brains, and is so much of a princess that she is convinced that is she does not want to do something she does not have to. Recently she has decided that she really does not want to canter on her right lead anymore, and has demonstrated her extreme bucking ability. I thought being closer to the ground would be a benefit on a pony, but what I discovered is that they have the ability to throw you many feet in the air so you actually fall much further.

The bonus is, if she can get that much air from a standstill, she may be the closest thing I have ever ridden to a upper level event prospect...

That is so cool, congrats on your partnership with your boy!!!

My little girl (turning 5 next month, have had her since Aug last year) has given me quite a few of those super-proud-mom moments too! We've moved to a new barn and I took her for a trail ride around the facility, something that we've never been able to do before at our old barn, and she did great! She stopped to look at a couple of things -- like a big pile of rocks etc. But I only had to give her a second, close my leg, and off we went. Even coming back home there was no jigging, just a happy, relaxed walk!!!
    She's also a very nicely balanced horse, but she LOVES to go FAST , so now that we can canter (well, hand-gallop ) in a round frame, I asked her to make the circle just a tinsy bit smaller, and she immediately sat down behind an picked herself up for a slower, more balanced canter!!!! She is sooooo much fun to grow with!!!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Rien (pronounced re-en, NOT rein) only spooked twice last night. He is beginning to show pieces of his true potential if I don't mess it up. I may take a year or two and bring him out at Training or I may not. We will see how he grows on XC.

Reed

My greenie has been here all of 5 days. I think I'm going to go out and put a saddle on him this afternoon. He raced 5 times at 2, so I know he's sort of broke but I want to see how he handles the tacking up process.

But gosh, he's tall. I've been riding a 14.3hh Morgan and that's a good size for me. Danny is at least 16.1hh at the withers and even taller at the tail end.

Wish me luck...

Posted by FF:
    She looked big to me, but in my experience big = longer maturity, which is why I'm surprised.
    FF--I'm glad she looks big to you. I am self conscious about her, ummm, diminutive size. She is the "shorty" in her pasture at 16 hands (admittedly, her group consists of freakishly large WB mares). However, last June--I still couldn't even canter her to a fence. Everything just came together later in the summer. I think getting out and hacking in the spring helped get her stronger and fit enough to carry weight better. Then (like your boy) she grew up mentally once we started traveling out to shows and to school. You always worry about those first outings (not knowing how much drama will occur) and it's so cool when they surprise you by behaving way better than expected.

Posted by Perfect Pony:
    Recently she has decided that she really does not want to canter on her right lead anymore, and has demonstrated her extreme bucking ability.
    PP: That has happened with my greenie. One week the left lead canter is easy peasy, then "no can do" a week later (but then the right lead is lovely). Right now we have both leads--but that can change by the weekend. I remind myself that last year at this time we had 3 gaits: 1. "walk" 2. "I want to be a Paso Fino when I grow up, trot" and 3."kick out at the leg" (when asked for canter). So even having ONE good lead per ride is major progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Fractious Fox View Post
    All of the "little things" he does without issue ... Then there are the bigger things, like being so sensible, brave, tolerant, and smart.. these characteristics are priceless to me!

He brings me such happiness, and I still can't believe he's my partner.
    THAT is what it is all about. Congrats!! Just wait until you get that first big gallop out in a field, or up a hillside!! My DD and her boy are like you just described. Somedays I swear that he's wearing a huge grin too!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

He redeemed himself a bit today. He's only been up the first 5minutes of rides @ the trainers...decided to trash any formal routine, and hopped on bareback for a long walk. He was wonderful. A wise trainer once said, "When you think you are done walking that horse, walk 4 more laps in each direction." So, that meant a two mile 'cool down' today Lots of walking, no trotting, I think the indoor is getting old. Yes, I might be a little brave riding my 16.3, naughty TB bareback, but its been the best way to get him to mentally calm the heck down. It does help that there is still +8" of snow of the ground and it was nearly 60f today...that's heavy snow for him to walk through and it's much warmer than yesterday.

I'm curious, in the scheme of things, I take this horse on ~4mi walks several times a week. Where does that get you, if anywhere, on the fitness scale? Keeping in mind he's turned out nearly 24/7 with access to a field most of the time. His canter feels amazing, and he's not too fit. I don't think he's ever been in better shape, than he is with the walking and a couple hour-long lessons a week.