The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle covers

I'm looking for a nice protective cover for my saddle. A carrying strap would be nice as well. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Check out Schneiders (www.sstack.com) Not the fanciest but durable and well padded...also roomy. They get good reviews! I have one and really like it.
    http://www.sstack.com/english_cases/...-saddle-cases/

I love my Lettia saddle cover!

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-English-...7834818&sr=1-4 I love it! Not too spendy and super cute.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I own one similar to this, although I think mine may have come from State Line. I've been using it for 10 years now, and it still looks great. The fleece lining does a fantastic job of protecting my saddle.

Just make sure that whatever bag you get, the zippers open very wide. I have a Stubben bag that is great - the zippers run almost the entire way around the bag so it is really easy to get the saddle in and out. I also had one from Dover that I gave away because the zipper opening was so small, it was a huge pain.

If money is no object then my favorite is the Baker bag. The bridle leather trim alone is almost worth the price of the bag, although I have not seen any of the newer ones, so am not sure if the quality is still the same.

Default Big D!! All the way

http://www.millbrooktack.com/millbro...ffset=2&s_id=0

Quiltted, carry strap and it zips all the way around!!! You can't beat it and it's only $70!

I have one in black and it's absolutely awesome!!!

Big D is pretty good and the only one I could find that fit my forward flap. It has a VERY wide shoulder strap that helps when you have to carry it around.

I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was under a $100.

Spindrift is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

You guys are awesome! Thanks much for all of the input - I think I'll go check these out right now!

I'm really liking the plaid one and the Big D. Holly, I can't tell if the plaid one zips all the way around as the specs really don't say. Is it easy to get your saddle in and out? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Spindrift; Feb. 16, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    You guys are awesome! Thanks much for all of the input - I think I'll go check these out right now!

I'm really liking the plaid one and the Big D. Holly, I can't tell if the plaid one zips all the way around as the specs really don't say. Is it easy to get your saddle in and out? Thanks again!
    Mine zips all the way open. My new saddle is ginormous and it fits well and is easy to get in and out. It's also lined. LURV it!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

The Big D is fantastic. Actually, it looks much better in person than it does in the picture. I has a curved shape over the top so it fits the seat well. Its roomy inside, and the padding is thick enough to protect the saddle well. Cats live in the tack room where I board. Other saddles, even some with covers, have been scratched, but mine has never been. The zipper goes almost all the way around. The only place that doesn't unzip is the very back -- behind the cantle, so it's easy to get the saddle in and out. I've had mine for about 9 years, and the fabric looks terrific. The only problem, however, is that one of the zipper pulls doesn't work correctly anymore. It splits the zipper when I use it. If anybody has a "fix" for this, please let me know. I'd rather not have to buy another bag, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Big D.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    The Big D is fantastic. Actually, it looks much better in person than it does in the picture. I has a curved shape over the top so it fits the seat well. Its roomy inside, and the padding is thick enough to protect the saddle well. Cats live in the tack room where I board. Other saddles, even some with covers, have been scratched, but mine has never been. The zipper goes almost all the way around. The only place that doesn't unzip is the very back -- behind the cantle, so it's easy to get the saddle in and out. I've had mine for about 9 years, and the fabric looks terrific. The only problem, however, is that one of the zipper pulls doesn't work correctly anymore. It splits the zipper when I use it. If anybody has a "fix" for this, please let me know. I'd rather not have to buy another bag, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Big D.
    I'd try having the zipper replaced. Just had a zipper on a trunk cover replaced and it was only $40. I would think a zipper on a saddle cover would be cheaper. Any tailor should be able to fix it for you.