The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommend Blanket Brands

I have a TB built Oldenburg Gelding, 16.2 with high withers, proabaly a 75 sheet, measured, and his muscling has really changed this winter, has blanket rubs on chest, nothing is helping, I need to get a blanket which closes high across the chest, closes above the wither onto the neck, more, and is waterproof, preferably with thos leg pleats to give him room as he moves around, but is close and secure. Currently, his wethabeeta is wrong wrong wrong for him, and most blankets like that have much too wide an opening for neck, and blanket pulls back, rubbing his chest and upper legs.

I am looking for a blanket I can close up high around neck - rambos might work

Any brand suggestions?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Love my rambo wug lightweight. I needed a cheaper alternative for a medium weight, which we use on rare occasions. I still wanted the high neck and clips on the front, instead of buckles. We tried the bit of Britain turnout and we've been pretty pleased with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

amigo/rhino/rambo!!! Love them, and have gotten several at my barn converted to them.

Now I'm looking at Rhino wug high neck, that's the design I was imagining would work

Now to find somewhere where they are in stock...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I've heard not good things about Rhino. I'd stick with Rambo. I've gone to Schneider's, but I don't think what they have left will fit your guy well. They fit my QH great...I'm waiting till spring/summer to order for my TBs.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Actually, most recently, sounds like Rhinos holding up better than Rambos, but in either case, the Wug style great for preventing rubs.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I would not buy another rhino. Ours fell apart!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I have a Centaur Midneck, and so far so good in terms of the quality department. Fits all your other requirements, has the shoulder darts, the neck opening isn't huge and with the mid neck option I find it stays pretty well off her wither (she has a huge wither). Sizing seems to run pretty true to measurement (I measured her at 83, the blanket is roomy enough at 82). Good sized drop (she's 16.3 and its below her belly) and its 1200D. Pretty fairly priced as well, I got mine for around $100.

Another great "mid-neck" style is the Smartpak Deluxe High Neck Turnout. They were out of my gelding's size in Rhino, and I was pleasantly suprized with both quality and fit!

Our smartpak blankets are falling apart. The rambos are great thou!
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

love the beval blankets!! just got mine and it is incredibly nice for the price! I also got mine right around 100 and it is a great blanket! just as nice as my rambo.

I just bodyclipped my boy so he has been wearing his centuar blankets and so far I have been pleased with them. Granted it has only been about 2 wks but it has been constant wear.
    He doesn't have high withers but he is an arabXsaddlebred so he needed the chest to be a bit higher and these fit him well, good drop lenght and he is able to run buck and play. They are not the midneck but are in front of his withers.