The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please recommend...

Please recommend:
    1 a gate opening system that doesn't require endless parts--we have replaced the electronic controllor(to the tune of a couple hundred dollars a time) for the Mighty Mule repeatedly.

2 solar fence charger that's also reliable(same story as above).

Thanks
    SZ

Husband just purchased a solar charger (NOT the one associated with Mighty Mule - it was too expensive) - believe it was from Northern Tool. Will ask and try to find out model - charges great even in low light conditions (i.e. cloudy).
    Sandy in Fla.

Default Question ?

You'll first have to asnwer a question for a meaningful recommendation.

How many times will the gate open in a week?

I think the Mighty Mule operators are great for acess a few times per week. BUT ... If the gate is accessed many times a day, you're just using the wrong system.

Consider gates that are accessed every 20 minutes, 24/7/360 days I purchased such a gate for a manufacturing plant. It was trouble free for four years. I've since left that plant but it's still there. ... three years later

Mine were fine after we replaced the mother board in each one $$$$$$$$. I've heard good things about apollo gate openers.

One issue with the Mighty Mule/GTO gate operators is the size of the battery supplied with the system. In many installations the small 7.5 Amp/hr batteries used in their control panels can not provide sufficient reserves. Also the small batteries lack mass which farther reduces its ability as they are rated a 75F, by the time the temperatures drop into the 20's the battery has lost about half of its storage ability.

If you have a place to install a larger battery such as a deep cycle marine battery that is designed for repeated discharging and charging you would possibly have better results with the MM or GTO system. An Absorbent Glass Mat (AMG) battery is even better as it will perform better in sub zero temperatures. If you cycle the system a great number of times per day use a GEL cell.

There are better systems available but they do cost more than the few hundred dollars that the mighty mule systems were designed to sell for.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    Husband just purchased a solar charger (NOT the one associated with Mighty Mule - it was too expensive) - believe it was from Northern Tool. Will ask and try to find out model - charges great even in low light conditions (i.e. cloudy).
    Can you also tell me how big/heavy/long the gates are, and whether they are sliding or swinging?

We have a Zerebra (sp?) gate opener. It has been nothing but trouble since we have had it. Several boards replaced, etc. To the point my SO knows more about it than the tech services guys. Now they don't even return his calls though.

We were thinking of buying a MightyMule but sounds like they aren't much better.

Anybody have a source of "real" gate openers without going thru a fencing company to the tune of lots of $$?

Default Solar chargers?

Thanks for the gate opener comments--I appreciate it.
    Anyone have any recommendations as to solar fence charging systems?

BTW the gate swings open--two ten foot gates, probably 4 to 8 times a day; except it hasn't, cuz we have to do it manually now--a real pia with the truck and trailer and speed demons on the roads
    SZ

Quote Originally Posted by xsuzi View Post
    Thanks for the gate opener comments--I appreciate it.
    Anyone have any recommendations as to solar fence charging systems?

BTW the gate swings open--two ten foot gates, probably 4 to 8 times a day; except it hasn't, cuz we have to do it manually now--a real pia with the truck and trailer and speed demons on the roads
    Contact Steve at Big Sun Equine Products. They did both of my gates and my center aisle mats Great company to work with, fast & fair One of my gates is solar powered. They work on MM openers. Once they replaced my motherboard I haven't had anymore problems (knocking on wood) Tell them Nancy said hi

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    One issue with the Mighty Mule/GTO gate operators is the size of the battery supplied with the system. In many installations the small 7.5 Amp/hr batteries used in their control panels can not provide sufficient reserves. Also the small batteries lack mass which farther reduces its ability as they are rated a 75F, by the time the temperatures drop into the 20's the battery has lost about half of its storage ability.

If you have a place to install a larger battery such as a deep cycle marine battery that is designed for repeated discharging and charging you would possibly have better results with the MM or GTO system. An Absorbent Glass Mat (AMG) battery is even better as it will perform better in sub zero temperatures. If you cycle the system a great number of times per day use a GEL cell.

There are better systems available but they do cost more than the few hundred dollars that the mighty mule systems were designed to sell for.
    This. Our GTO plus a marine battery, no problem. 10 foot gate, probably opened twice or three times a day.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I wish someone would just tell me what to buy!

I can't use a full gate because of the slope so it would be about a 14' half gate.

Would be opened a few times a day.

In the south so cold temps are possible but rare.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Can you also tell me how big/heavy/long the gates are, and whether they are sliding or swinging?
    Aluminum gates - swinging, each 10 foot width and 4 going to 6 foot in height. Use the Mighty Mule on a single gate, when I need both open for the trailer we'll manually open the other gate. I would not want to take a truck in and out of any gate smaller than 10 foot (opening). We open/close gates several times a day (home and barn). Hubby is using a deep cycle marine battery and TSC Solar charger which he measured with a meter and stated it puts out a LOT of juice even on cloudy days. Both items were also less expensive than the Mightly Mule battery and MM solar charger.
    Sandy in Fla.

I just wish someone could tell me how to keep mine from takiing direct lightning hits
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."