The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default French bulldog, anyone?

When the current pack has gone on, I have told Mr. EqT that I am getting him a French bulldog. I might be joking... But maybe not anyone have one? He says they must have nasty temperaments... Because they are French
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

They are freakin adorable and seem to have great personalities (granted, I've only met a few...)

But, with any breed that has a sudden gain in popularity, I worry about the folks that are breeding those dogs. You can't walk down the street in NYC without passing several...my guess is that many are coming from Lancaster Co. puppy mills...even when they cost $1500.

Those flat faces aren't too great in humid NC summers either...

But I do love their big ol' bat ears.

And, there is a Frenchie rescue group on petfinder, but many of the dogs listed on there seem to have big medical problems.

I understand that they have problems with heat and humidity because of the flat nose. And I've heard they are snorers. They do seem really adorable though. ANd as Ben and Me said, there seem to be lots more Frenchies then there used to be, which does indicate a lack of quality, and maybe more health problems.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If it snores, it can sleep with him
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

They are the cutest, sweetest dogs.

I LOVE Frenchies! BUT they are not the dog for everyone - despite that adorable face and those ears, they are bulldogs. I would be really careful about who I bought from, and would likely look for an older style with a lower, less flat nose.

Here is my favorite Frenchie in the world...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Echo everyone else - just be sure you check out the breeder very carefully. They're quite trendy right now, and that's always bad news for any breed.

They are damn cute, though.

I had no idea they were trendy... I thought they were traditional!

Kinsella, links don't work
    ---

My friend has one....they bought her from a reputable breeder, and she is just the cutest funniest little thing. That being said, she's only two and they're already having some health issues with her. Additionally, as mentioned above, they can have challenging personalities....she hasn't obedience trained very easily.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, cute, but i wouldn't want to own one...
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

My best friend has 3 . 2 females and a male.. and BOY is there a difference in the sexes. The females run hell bent to leather and are always playing fighting or what not. The male she calls her "stoner dog" because occasionally he will lift his head up and see what the fuss is about .. then he's done. But make no mistake about it they ARE BULLdogs. Even as wee little 8 week old puppies when brought home their immediate attitude was "Who's butt do I have to kick around here!!" and they immediately set forth to kicking her 2 full grown Mastiff's butts. (The mastiffs still run from the little suckers)

They are very friendly to people though, great with her infant, snore and fart like nobody's business, and are very difficult to train... especially housetrain. They "know" to go outside but are often "spite peeing and pooping" around the house when irritated, therefore they are crated at night and when not supervised. Fun little dogs and my friends loves hers to death but not sure if I would want one. They are cute as hell to watch though
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!