The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry 39 DEAD Horses - WV - Tragic Situation Just Got Worse!!

So the dead count is now up to 39 horses. Now the state vet won't let police or local vets on the property to even make sure the horses are cared for. How many will die in these next few days waiting on someone to rescue them? WTF???

http://www.register-herald.com/local...rse-abuse-case
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Can hay be dropped from the air?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

After I read that story, I wanted to know who the hell the state vet is, and who his or her boss is, and what folks in WVA can do to make his life not worth living. Get busy, WVA horse lovers. Make the governor wish he had never heard of this guy. According to the article, the state vet is who stands in the way of a meaningful accounting of what this idiot has let happen to his animals on his property. Sure, the law is very limited in this state, but let's encourage the state to take an interest in addressing this.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Default But wait there's more

The state agricultural commissioner so does not want this hot potato. This press release: http://www.wvagriculture.org/news_re...1/2-14-11.html

says:

Contact: Buddy Davidson, Communications Officer, 304-558-3708; 304-541-5932 (cell) bdavidson@ag.state.wv.us

News Release
    2-14-11

LOCAL AUTHORITIES RESPONSIBLE FOR
    ANIMAL NEGLECT CASES UNDER STATE LAW
    Local sheriffs or their designees have sole authority for animal cases under state law, and Commissioner of Agriculture Gus R. Douglass is unhappy that a weekend media report citing Greenbrier County Sheriff Jim Childers suggests otherwise.

“The Sunday edition of the Register-Herald newspaper indicated that the state veterinarian would not allow law enforcement on the property to care for the animals, which is 100 percent false,” said Commissioner Douglass. “As a result, we have been deluged with angry calls and e-mails questioning the West Virginia Department of Agriculture’s (WVDA) commitment to animal welfare. If anyone would care to check, the West Virginia State Code (WVC) which is available in its entirety online allows the commissioner of agriculture to quarantine a property only in cases of communicable animal disease.”

Since the carcasses of the animals had been removed over the weekend, the threat of disease was no longer present and the WVDA’s authority was no longer valid, he added.

WVC Chapter 19, Article 9, Section 1 outlines the commissioner of agriculture’s authority to enter private property and clearly states that authority may only be exercised in cases of communicable animal disease.
    It says: “It shall be the duty of the commissioner, and he shall have authority:
    • (a) To prevent, suppress, control and eradicate any communicable diseases of animals or poultry
    • (f) To cause general or special quarantine of premises and of animals and poultry to be established and maintained;
    • (g) To cause the disinfection of any premises;
    • (h) To cause the destruction of diseased animals, when such animals are deemed diseased as a result of physical examination or an approved test, and of infected personal property, and to regulate and prohibit the moving or transportation of such animals or property from one place to another in this state.”
    Furthermore, WVC Chapter 7, Article 10, Sections 1-2 clearly gives county sheriffs the full responsibility and authority to conduct investigations and prosecute individuals for cruel treatment of animals.

It says: “The sheriff of each county of this state shall annually designate … one of his or her deputies to act as humane officer of the county … any person designated to act as a humane officer and all peace officers designated by law as a humane officer or an additional humane officer shall investigate all complaints made to him or her of cruel or inhumane treatment of animals within the county and he or she shall personally see that the law relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals is enforced…. It is the duty of humane officers to prevent the perpetration or continuance of any act of cruelty upon any animal and to investigate and, upon probable cause, to cause the arrest and assist in the prosecution of any person engaging in such cruel and forbidden practices. Upon reasonable cause, and as provided by law, such officers have the right to access and inspection of records and property as may be reasonably necessary to any investigation.”

“It would have been a simple matter for the Register-Herald to verify the alleged statement by Sheriff Childers, rather than accept a second-hand account of a supposed order by a WVDA official. A different reporter had spoken with the Department’s communications officer the previous day and had his contact information. A simple call to his cell phone would have cleared up the matter,” said Commissioner Douglass.

“I fully understand people’s emotional reaction to this case and I remain committed to the humane treatment of farm animals, but the Department must honor the limited legal authority invested in it by the Legislature. To do otherwise would be a disservice to every citizen of our state, and I can only hope that people would have an appreciation for that fundamental tenet of our legal system.”

If this press release is true, time to go back and bother the county sheriff. which is a problem, because according to the news article, the farm(s) containing the horses cross more than one county line, and there is apparently some jurisdictional question.

I guess we just have to start posting the home phone numbers of all the relevant county sheriffs and give them an incentive to take an interest in straightening this out.

Question

What the hell. I made a few phone calls on this and nobody wants to touch this. I can not understand how the State Police can't get onto the property. This place is about 4 hours from me or I would try to take a look. I am going to make some more calls tomorrow. These animals are malnourished, so what is the question. I am probably going to make a pest of myself and annoy them, but I really don't care. This is terrible.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

This is beyond outragious! This is the United States, 2011 for God's sake. Please someone post info on what we can do and who we can call and email. I just called the county agricultural office and left a message...it is after hours. Does anyone know more about this situation? How many horses are still there and what is there condition? If there is abuse ansd "torture" going on, why in the world can't the police get in there?

I don't know. I called the Sherriff Department and the State Vet's Office today. I got a lot of passing the buck. I am going to keep calling tomorrow. If I get anywhere or find out who to call, I will post it. That way perhaps COTHers can make some calls. This is just awful.

I will post after I call again tomorrow.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Can someone reach this mans family ? Why would he want his horses to starve when there is help available.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Wait they have the bodies right? Why not test some of the bodies for diseases and technically lice is a transmittable though preventable parasite that requires quarantine. So test the bodies with the shortest time possible and give the report to the state vet saying the bodies have x or y disease and get on the property and get the rest of the horses. I could understand if they didn't have the bodies but they do! They have all the evidence they need just a bit of due process and hand holding.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Oh for heavens sake! The man is 83 and possibly/probably cannot continue to take care of animals esp when the weather is like it has been this winter. If he has any local family they should be held just as responsible.

In the meantime WTF is wrong with putting together a joint county task force or something?...betting they can manage to do that for drug busts that cross county lines!! Insanity!!

Post numbers for county officers somewhere and I'll be happy to call...unlimited long distance is a handy thing.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

LondonCalling Guest

Angry

I am outraged! This man has quite a reputation from what I have been reading.

There is a Facebook page set up for these horses. Hopefully they will continue to update the information.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...29986610405059

Equus Keepus Brokus

HOW about united states humane society -for wva horses -all horses in this way -and recently florida horses ...

Quote Originally Posted by HOOF123 View Post
    HOW about united states humane society -for wva horses -all horses in this way -and recently florida horses ...
    I crossposted the FB page on Scotlund Haisley page. I keep getting updates on all their marvelous work so I asked where they are NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    After I read that story, I wanted to know who the hell the state vet is, and who his or her boss is, and what folks in WVA can do to make his life not worth living. Get busy, WVA horse lovers. Make the governor wish he had never heard of this guy. According to the article, the state vet is who stands in the way of a meaningful accounting of what this idiot has let happen to his animals on his property. Sure, the law is very limited in this state, but let's encourage the state to take an interest in addressing this.
    Yeah this!

That guy HAS to be buddies with the animal killer otherwise WTF does he think will happen to more horses without food?

Boy that was some quick back pedaling!! (press release)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

It DOES NOT sound like this is a case of an old man falling on hard times. This guy has a history of abused animals on his farm. But, as everyone stands around pointing fingers, more horses are going to die. This is wrong on so many levels!!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

This man is not a down-on-his-luck senile guy suddenly forgetting to put out or not being able to afford the hay. He's been abusing horses for decades with animal control doing nothing. This year he's outdone himself and hopefully will finally be held accountable for some of the pain he's caused.

Take a look on the facebook page at the pic someone posted of a mare she tried to buy for $500 two years ago just to get her away from Grady. He wouldn't sell this "valuable" horse and it died. This is nothing new.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-t...405059&theater

But to be fair, I have not heard that this guy sends horses to the killer. He doesn't need to, he apparently IS the killer. But personally I'd rather go to slaughter, at least it is faster than the slow death of starvation.

If the press release from the department of agriculture is to be believed, then the matter is still one for local law enforcement, that is to say county sheriffs. The news article said that another difficulty is that this jerk has more than one farm, and that his properties cross county lines, which muddies the question of which county sheriff has jurisdiction. So I say we need to call each county sheriff in the area individually and ask them what they are doing about it.

Greenbrier County Sheriff's Office: 304.647.6634

Raleigh County Sheriff's Office: 304 255 9300

Mercer County Sheriff's Office: (304) 487-8362

Fayette County Sheriff's Office: 304-574-4216

Not guaranteeing these numbers but these counties are right. There may be more but he has farms in all of these.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Editing to copy Lori B's excellent advice from the next post right here so you'll have it if you want to call:

"Remember, if you are going to call, don't be crazy and angry, be ratonal, firm, and fact-based. Ask what they are going to do and when they are going to do it and how you can verify that what they say is going to happen.

Ask for names when you speak to someone. First and last. Write them down.

The man who owns and torments and starves these horses is Grady Whitlock, and he has a long history, apparently, of treating his animals this way."
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Feb. 15, 2011 at 09:22 AM.