The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I read them, was annoyed by them, Bella drove me nuts.

That said, I could not put them down. Had to find out what happened next.

Stephenie Meyer's not a great writer, but she's one heck of a story teller.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post

I lost a bet with one of my teenaged students, and had to read them. I agree with the above. The writing is terrible, Bella BEYOND annoying, the twinkling-in-sunlight thing made my eyes roll out of my head and across the room.

But the story was engaging, I'll give Meyer that.

If you want a good laugh, Dave Barry did a hilarious send up of the Twilight books--I was laughing out loud in bed.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

I admit, I read them all. I hated her writing, I hated Bella... but I still could not stop from turning every page almost frantically. I don't know why, maybe its that classic Pride and Prejudice type of story that I am an absolute sucker for...

I also read The Host, which I thought was written way better than the Twilight series. I really liked that book

I'm old enough to know better.... Mid-20s. They're not quality literature at all, but I love an easy read, especially a nice junky romance. I was reading the ebook and someone asked what I wad reading.... I hid it and said"oh, nothing...". Too much dignity, I guess. But there's my dirty secret. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post

That perfectly sums up how I felt about them! I wasn't planning on reading them, but I was house-sitting for an English teacher and I ran out of my own reading material one night and saw them sitting on her shelf...

Bella annoyed me to no end, especially in the second book, but I still read them at warp speed and quickly read through the Breaking Dawn pdf.

I've also watched the movies, but haven't been a big fan. I watched them all a couple of weeks ago while I was sick. My entertainment standards were *very* low at that point, so I was okay with them, but I certainly won't be getting in line for the midnight showings!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    I read Twilight before most people had ever heard of it and I'm SOOOO happy I did. I hate feeding into the hype (which is why I have yet to pick up a Harry Potter book).

I would have really missed out if I had skipped the Twilight series because of that.
    You are REALLY missing out on Harry Potter. It's a huge hype for a reason - well written, ridiculously interesting, and basically just exceptionally good. Try cracking open the first one... just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    You are REALLY missing out on Harry Potter. It's a huge hype for a reason - well written, ridiculously interesting, and basically just exceptionally good. Try cracking open the first one... just for fun.
    Not to mention since the hype has ebbed down, you are safe now

It is really that good, even though I have not read past book one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Not to mention since the hype has ebbed down, you are safe now

It is really that good, even though I have not read past book one...

You really need to read all of the HP books. They get better and better as they go. The last one is absolutely fantastic!
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Now I am ashamed of all of you. Except Mrs. ChickenBritches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.ChickenBritches View Post
    I made it through maybe three chapters of the first book. The worst thing I have ever tried reading. Maybe there is something wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by appaloosalady View Post
    You really need to read all of the HP books. They get better and better as they go. The last one is absolutely fantastic!

The kid has all of them

Right now I am on the Pratchett kick - though it takes me forever to get through one. I think I laugh too much
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I loved the books. And those aren't the only ones

My daughter is into anything Vampire or Werewolf.
    I did start reading Twilight because of that. I really liked the first 3 books. The 4th left me going HUH????
    Since I just found this out the hard way - do be aware of anything vampire or werewolf. My DD brought home a werewolf book the other day and I just started skimming through it. It was pretty sexually explicit. So much so I refused to let her read it.
    My ASSumption that anything related to vampires or werewolves (barring Anne Rice of course) was geared to the teen or tween totally WRONG!!!
    I do love HP tho. Really really like both the books and the movies -

I disliked Twilight. As I read them, I grew angrier and angrier at the thought that a girl like Bella could possibly exist. I wanted so badly to know what was so perfect about Edward, other than he was "perfect"! I found their family unit impossible to take seriously! The "final battle" had no fighting in it! Just a bunch of talking! The story line was absurd, the powers the vampires got was over the top.

That said, why on earth did I read every single one and see the movies?! I'm so ashamed.

Google "The Oatmeal Twilight" for some amusement!

Side note - I love Harry Potter. Those books are amazing.

I've never really been interested in vampires and werewolves. I like fantasy, and if there happen to be vampires that's fine. But I would never have sought out a book all about vampires. The lure of a easy romance is just too strong for me. After reading the FAQs on the author's website, I have more respect for her and the story. She didn't set out to write a book or make money, she had a dream about it and was compelled to keep going with it. She explains why Bella behaves the way she does and why that doesn't mean she's a weak pathetic girl. When the author talks about her mind and her process, I think that she sounds like a fun person that I'd like to be friends with.

Harry Potter is awesome, of course. When Twilight first became popular, I was angry at it for taking away some of Harry Potter's awesomeness. I didn't mind Twilight's final battle not being a fight at all. Mostly because I didn't want any of the Cullens to die in the battle . It's a little like the final fight between Harry and Voldemort. In the end, it's goodness that wins.

Does anyone know if Midnight Sun is actually going to be finished? The last update on her website about it is from June 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    The kid has all of them

Right now I am on the Pratchett kick - though it takes me forever to get through one. I think I laugh too much
    LOL... I used to read every Pratchett that came out, but haven't read the past couple of them; thanks for reminding me! I was just trying to think of some more recent books that would be available on Kindle that I could download on my phone...

My aunt tried to get me to read the books for about a year. I am not into fantasy vampire/werewolf thing at all. My dad bought me the first book for christmas last year. So I felt I had to read it.

I fricking love the stupid series now. Can't get enough, sadly I am fast approaching 40

I am also in love with the Harry Potter series. But have been since they first came out many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    LOL... I used to read every Pratchett that came out, but haven't read the past couple of them; thanks for reminding me! I was just trying to think of some more recent books that would be available on Kindle that I could download on my phone...
    I read 'Going Postal' and was posetively in stitches, same with 'Interesting Times'
    I had it with me while waiting for my kid doing band rehersal, I had to check myself from not blurting out with laughter...

I try to read them in order, but it's difficult in the library...he seems to be very popular (there always seem to be a bunch of 'Twilight' books in the shelf tho )

I started them because my goddaughter wanted to read them and her mother wasn't interested but someone had to read them with her. So I bought the first book, figuring I would read it then pass it to her, she would get through 2 chapters and decide it was a bunch of hogwash! NOT!!

The next morning at 0930 when my local bookstore opened I was there to buy the next 3 books. There went my weekend.....

The writing was horrible, but she can tell a good story. I hated Bella and Edward, and more often than not Jacob drove me nuts, but I fell in love with Jasper, Emmet, and Alice.

There was one other great thing about these books for me. I met some amazing people because of them, including someone I now consider to be a great friend. Because of starting to write twilight fanfiction (she wrote handsdown the best piece of work I have ever read, pm me for details) and realizing that she really could write she is now a published author. I feel honored to call her a friend.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Ick.. I couldn't get past the horrid movies.. I mean really I thought the movies were REALLY bad.... so I haven't brought myself to read the books.. don't ask me WHY I continued to order the movies off DTV? Some need for self punishment because each time I was mad I spent the 4.99 ?????.... but here is my confession.. I have read every single book in the Anita Blake series so I cannot admonish you one bit.. I should have more shame for my choice
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com