The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 170
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2008
    Posts
    534

    Default Miracle at SKA

    I was wondering if we could start a fresh thread about Miracle.

    I would love to hear more about her road to recovery and her new home.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA and New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,583

    Default

    Yes! Do we have any idea when she will be strong enough to travel to her new home?

    I hope her new people will keep us all posted on her progress when she moves to their farm!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,538

    Default

    If ever a horse was to the "gate" and back, it's this filly. Would love to keep up with her in her new home. Well done Lori at SKA. You have indeed performed a "Miracle."

    http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2006
    Location
    ol Virginny
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Originally Posted by bird4416 http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
    Back to the reason for the thread. Here is a video of Miracle trotting around her paddock. I just got a message from Lori that she is really kicking up her heels this morning. This little horse has really surprised me. I never thought she would make it and to recover this quickly truely is a miracle. This goes to show you what wonderful care and love can do. Thanks to the Gurleys, Lori and everyone else involved in making this little filly be able to enjoy life.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSmKO71Bt4



    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    When she is strong enough to travel Miracle will be moving to our farm. We can hardly wait for that day!! We already write a blog about the farm and regular Miracle updates will be part of that blog. When she is able to move I will start a new thread to post updates. She looks like she is going to be quite a little pistol!!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2008
    Posts
    534

    Default

    She really has the right name. Every time I came back to the board to look for updates, I was sure that I was going to see bad news. She looked like she was already dead when she was rescued. Lori did and amazing thing.

    Thanks for taking her in and for your (future) updates onthebit. Has anyone gotten an idea as to how old she really is?

    thanks dawglover for posting that to this thread. I have missed some updates because I didn't have the energy to wade through the other thread.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2006
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    Originally Posted by bird4416 http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
    Back to the reason for the thread. Here is a video of Miracle trotting around her paddock. I just got a message from Lori that she is really kicking up her heels this morning. This little horse has really surprised me. I never thought she would make it and to recover this quickly truely is a miracle. This goes to show you what wonderful care and love can do. Thanks to the Gurleys, Lori and everyone else involved in making this little filly be able to enjoy life.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSmKO71Bt4




    I admit I was watching the posts and expecting one to say she had lost the fight, but now look at her! Bucking and playing around, and acting like a horse!

    Thank you to all who made this a possibility. I know a lot of energy, both physically and mentally, was involved.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 28, 2008
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    529

    Default

    After seeing the video, all I can say is wow. I really have been expecting to see a post that she didn't make it after the initial pictures in the other post.

    I am astounded! And pleased of course.
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2003
    Location
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!
    Posts
    7,355

    Default

    I've followed the Miracle story from the beginning. What an amazing story about the resiliency of life, the will to live, and the people who stop at nothing to see that animals have a fighting chance to succeed!

    What breed is our little Miracle? She is terribly cute (and a nice little mover!) and what a little stinker, such a baby.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2008
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    After seeing the video, all I can say is wow. I really have been expecting to see a post that she didn't make it after the initial pictures in the other post.

    I am astounded! And pleased of course.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    What breed is our little Miracle? She is terribly cute (and a nice little mover!) and what a little stinker, such a baby.
    According to the people the Gurleys saved her from she is a TWH. They also said she was about 1.5 years old but Lori was thinking younger than that.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    582

    Default

    The length of her tail does lead me to believe she is closer to 2 years old. I've been closely involved with the rescue and rehab of two very very emaciated young horses (comparable to Miracle), and was astounded both times to learn of their real documented age. First one looked maybe 2 months old, but was 9 months, and the other was a yearling who looked 5-6 months.

    From what I understand, tail growth does not get stunted as severely as the body does. It is quite possible that her previous owner was telling the truth..

    Her tail looks longer than the one on my 20 month old. I'm no expert, though. Just throwing it out there.

    Excellent job to everyone involved. YOU guys are the miracles for making this all happen, and for giving this girl a second chance at a real life. Thank you!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Interesting you say that about her tail Cataluna because I've had the exact same thought. I look at that long tail and think she would have to be around a year and a half just to get that tail length.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2002
    Location
    Dungeon of the Ivory Tower
    Posts
    20,393

    Default

    Lori said she thought she had all her baby teeth (I think this is true but I can check!). So hence much less than a year and a half.

    onthebit - you send me any pics you want posted, too!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 1, 2004
    Location
    north of Atlanta GA
    Posts
    3,751

    Default

    I'm going to SKA today to help give Miracle a bath. I've got my camera in the car so I'll take some more pictures.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 7, 2005
    Location
    summerville GA
    Posts
    3,219

    Default

    Thank heavens, a post on the baby. Of course, the video is never handy when you need it and it came as such a shock to me as well but.............Miracle is simply a running, bucking fool, all baby. She is trying hard to get the old folks involved in her antics and I love to watch what happens to some of thes oldies when we get a baby in. Some of these guys have been around foals and there auntie and uncle nature comes through. Any time we have had a baby here, the babysitters find a renewed youth and I love to watch how they care for and teach the young. We have two oldies here to glued themselves to Miracles paddock. One of them nickered to her all night long her first night here, encouraging her, coaxing her. Its amazing.

    The vet tried to determine Miracles age but first off, she was not too cooperative because she was too wobbly. Secondly, when they are that starved for long periods of time, they do become stunted in many, many ways. There are indications that she is a year and a half old, and others that indicate she is maybe 10-12 months. In 10 years, being off by 6 mos or a year wont be a huge deal, but now, it is a mystery since there is so much difference between a yearling and a two year old. She has her baby teeth but like kids, they could lose them at various times and improper nutrition can play a huge part in that factor.

    So, we know she is between a year and two for sure but..............exact, no idea. We will find out as she progresses and catches up if she ever truly does. She is supposed to be a TNW or was advertised as that anyhow. Yup, she kinda looks like one although she is of course, a very gangly teenie now. She has a great tail, sorta, but no mane. Could have been chewed off of her, she aint talking.

    In 35 years of rescue, I have never seen a horse recuperate like this girl did. She was everything but dead when I met her and I could smell her 20 feet from the trailer. All I know is when I thought euthanazia was the kindest thing, she sat up and said feed me. She nickered her desire for life and never looked back when we responded. Yes, I am glad she was given the chance she so deserved.

    Miracle is ready to travel in a week. Really probably sooner but............she is now strong enough for her coggins and a few shots before hand. Paradigm, I dont know if you plan on travelling or if you are using a shipper but you can start making your plans anytime. I will call the vet today to get her paperwork in order.

    Another Miracle from Miracle. I have special needs boys here and one in particular who forms no attachments to anything or anybody, ever. I almost died when he said last night, I am going to miss her. He had no choice but to assist in the care of Miracle, to help pick her up etc etc and through it, he actually came to care about something other than himself. Amazing.

    Where there is life, there is hope.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

    Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2001
    Location
    Cullowhere?, NC
    Posts
    8,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    Another Miracle from Miracle. I have special needs boys here and one in particular who forms no attachments to anything or anybody, ever. I almost died when he said last night, I am going to miss her. He had no choice but to assist in the care of Miracle, to help pick her up etc etc and through it, he actually came to care about something other than himself. Amazing.

    Where there is life, there is hope.
    Miracle times two!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

    Spay and neuter. Please.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 9, 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    15,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    Thank heavens, a post on the baby. Of course, the video is never handy when you need it and it came as such a shock to me as well but.............Miracle is simply a running, bucking fool, all baby. She is trying hard to get the old folks involved in her antics and I love to watch what happens to some of thes oldies when we get a baby in. Some of these guys have been around foals and there auntie and uncle nature comes through. Any time we have had a baby here, the babysitters find a renewed youth and I love to watch how they care for and teach the young. We have two oldies here to glued themselves to Miracles paddock. One of them nickered to her all night long her first night here, encouraging her, coaxing her. Its amazing.

    The vet tried to determine Miracles age but first off, she was not too cooperative because she was too wobbly. Secondly, when they are that starved for long periods of time, they do become stunted in many, many ways. There are indications that she is a year and a half old, and others that indicate she is maybe 10-12 months. In 10 years, being off by 6 mos or a year wont be a huge deal, but now, it is a mystery since there is so much difference between a yearling and a two year old. She has her baby teeth but like kids, they could lose them at various times and improper nutrition can play a huge part in that factor.

    So, we know she is between a year and two for sure but..............exact, no idea. We will find out as she progresses and catches up if she ever truly does. She is supposed to be a TNW or was advertised as that anyhow. Yup, she kinda looks like one although she is of course, a very gangly teenie now. She has a great tail, sorta, but no mane. Could have been chewed off of her, she aint talking.

    In 35 years of rescue, I have never seen a horse recuperate like this girl did. She was everything but dead when I met her and I could smell her 20 feet from the trailer. All I know is when I thought euthanazia was the kindest thing, she sat up and said feed me. She nickered her desire for life and never looked back when we responded. Yes, I am glad she was given the chance she so deserved.

    Miracle is ready to travel in a week. Really probably sooner but............she is now strong enough for her coggins and a few shots before hand. Paradigm, I dont know if you plan on travelling or if you are using a shipper but you can start making your plans anytime. I will call the vet today to get her paperwork in order.

    Another Miracle from Miracle. I have special needs boys here and one in particular who forms no attachments to anything or anybody, ever. I almost died when he said last night, I am going to miss her. He had no choice but to assist in the care of Miracle, to help pick her up etc etc and through it, he actually came to care about something other than himself. Amazing.

    Where there is life, there is hope.

    not being funny lori but this little mare has done well no doubt about that
    but it concerns me that you have her up for travelling already
    in such a short time, the worse thing which i have to say if this little filly going on a long journey to xyz then shes not fit enough to not in my eyes as it hasnt been that long since she was on the ground till now and i woldnt count your chickens yet
    having dealt with skiny and straving horses and ponies i would giver her at least 6weeks beofre even thinking about moving her, asthis would allow for her body to re addressed it self with feed etc and she would be far stronger in being able to stand up and stay standing up for the trip

    ihave watch this little filly here and elsewwhere and to me shes not as strong as what some think she is yeah shes wlaking and gaining strenght day by day
    but is that enough for a long journey like isaid the short time spam for me says no



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Wow Lori, that is exciting news! We plan to make the trip ourselves. I'm going to PM you with a few things. None of us would complain if you managed to get a video of a running, bucking Miracle!!!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    not being funny lori but this little mare has done well no doubt about that
    but it concerns me that you have her up for travelling already
    in such a short time, the worse thing which i have to say if this little filly going on a long journey to xyz then shes not fit enough to not in my eyes as it hasnt been that long since she was on the ground till now and i woldnt count your chickens yet
    having dealt with skiny and straving horses and ponies i would giver her at least 6weeks beofre even thinking about moving her, asthis would allow for her body to re addressed it self with feed etc and she would be far stronger in being able to stand up and stay standing up for the trip
    GLS Lori has extensive experience dealing with refeeding horses and rehabilitating very debilitated horses. She isn't going to let anyone move Miracle until she is ready. Also, it won't be a big trip for Miracle as we're not that far away.



Similar Threads

  1. It's a pop rocks miracle!
    By GoForAGallop in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: Sep. 2, 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Easter Miracle
    By Ride On in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2012, 08:55 PM
  3. Miracle One Year Later
    By onthebit in forum Off Course
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Mar. 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
  4. Miracle Collar ???
    By CSSporthorses in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 19, 2010, 07:58 PM
  5. Miracle bute...
    By emaren in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct. 16, 2009, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness