The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best GPS App for iPhone?

I am very interested in gathering "normal" people's opinions on the best GPS apps for iPhone. I'm definitely willing to pay for something good, so let's not limit the discussion to free apps. (Though, if there *is* a stellar free or cheap app, I'm all about that!) Thanks!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

It depends on whether you want to know where you're going or where you've been.

I've played with iPhone GPS tracking apps (the kind that tell where you've been) to track hunts. I tried a couple of apps, and the one I like best is MotionX GPStracker. If you want to know where you've been, it's great. Here's an example from yesterday

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&q=http:%...,0.038495&z=15

The tracking apps will obviously tell you where you are right now, but most of them don't provide detailed instructions telling you how to get to a specific location (turn-by-turn). There's another set of apps that does that. I haven't played with them very much. MotionX has one (GPSDrive). I actually bought one from Navigon, but haven't used it much. Mapquest now has a free one that I haven't tried yet. So if you want to know where you're going, I don't have any real good advice.

Hmmm... good point. While the ability to track is interesting, I am more interested in knowing where *to* go.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.