The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Read and ponder:

This story is really astounding, posted it in the Equestrians with Disabilities forum, but it really deserves a larger audience:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/12/ch..._lnk1%7C201069

Examples like these stand what we know about brains on it's head, pun intended.

---"Chase was also born prematurely, and he was legally blind. When he was 1 year old, doctors did an MRI, expecting to find he had a mild case of cerebral palsy. Instead, they discovered he was completely missing his cerebellum -- the part of the brain that controls motor skills, balance and emotions.

"That's when the doctor called and didn't know what to say to us," Britton said in a telephone interview. "No one had ever seen it before. And then we'd go to the neurologists and they'd say, 'That's impossible.' 'He has the MRI of a vegetable,' one of the doctors said to us."

Chase is not a vegetable, leaving doctors bewildered and experts rethinking what they thought they knew about the human brain.

"There are some very bright, specialized people across the country and in Europe that have put their minds to this dilemma and are continuing to do so, and we haven't come up with an answer," Dr. Adre du Plessis, chief of Fetal and Transitional Medicine at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., told Fox News affiliate WGRZ.

"So it is a mystery."

Chase also is missing his pons, the part of the brain stem that controls basic functions, such as sleeping and breathing. There is only fluid where the cerebellum and pons should be, Britton said.

Britton's pregnancy was complicated, so doctors closely monitored her. Deepening the mystery, she has detailed ultrasound pictures of Chase's brain during various stages of fetal development and the images clearly show he once had a cerebellum.

"That is actually a fundamental part of the dilemma," du Plessis told WGRZ. "If there was a cerebellum, what happened to it?"

Doctors found no signs of a brain bleed, hemorrhage or stroke, and no damage to any other part of his brain, Britton said. Technically, his diagnosis is cerebellar hypoplasia, which normally means a small cerebellum rather than a missing one.

Chase's case, du Plessis said, challenges "fundamental principles." And its impact is certain to reach far beyond one little boy and his family."---

Obviously other parts of his brain or nervous system are taking up the functions of the parts he is missing, or those wandered to other parts of his nervous system.

No telling how many people out there have rare brains and other and are doing fine, thank you, is it.

Woww that's crazy! Definitely sending that on to some neuroscience majors I know!

I know that patients who've had a stroke can teach sections of their brain to take over certain functions, maybe that's how he's gotten so far?
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I absolutely believe that there is more to the brain than we will ever know.

My 6 year old daughter was born 15 weeks premature. She suffered a grade 4 intraventricular hemorrhage (brain bleed), which destroyed a large amount of her brain tissue and resulted in global delays and cerebral palsy.

Lily has fairly frequent clusters of minor seizures and occasional major occurrences. What we have noticed is that every time she has a severe seizure, it is always followed by a period of rapid development and improvement. I firmly believe that these seizures are a result of her brain "rewiring" to compensate for the loss of the damaged areas.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Oliver Sacks has written some great books with amazing real life stories about people and the wonders of the brain.