The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I becoming a hermit?

I don't want to leave home. I like being home. I have horses, dogs, a pool, will have a garden soon, we're in the country in the mountains. We can run around on our farm equipment. We can sit on our front or back deck. I don't want to leave home.

Is this normal?

I sure hope so. I am the same way lately. I leave to go to the feed store, tack store, grocery store. Perfectly happy at home

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    I don't want to leave home. I like being home. I have horses, dogs, a pool, will have a garden soon, we're in the country in the mountains. We can run around on our farm equipment. We can sit on our front or back deck. I don't want to leave home.

Is this normal?
    It's normal for people in your kind of environment. Rural life is more about what you want to do with yourself than what everyone else is doing to pass the time and most people like it that way.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    It's normal for people in your kind of environment. Rural life is more about what you want to do with yourself than what everyone else is doing to pass the time and most people like it that way.
    Right, that is the way those living here by choice like it.
    Those that can't stand not having people around often move on to where the people are.

Different strokes and all that.

LOL our general rule is: when the road gets lines painted on it-time to move! Civilization is coming!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

LOL our general rule is: when the road gets lines painted on it-time to move! Civilization is coming!
    Given how poorly mapped and funded the majority of farm country transportation infrastructure in VA is, I think you've got a long long time coming before that happens.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Totally normal for me! I am already stressing about taking a 4 day trip to Dallas next week, leaving the kids, the farm and the animals. We also just recently bought a time share so have access to about 3 weeks total vacation time a year, what was I thinking?

Default You're like me

I don't like being away from my animals any more than necessary. I have to work to support us all. I like to get with my (human) family once a week for dinner. Every couple weeks, dinner or a movie with friends. Other than that I want to be in the barn or on the couch with the dogs. Also, I am a firm believer in trying to have one day per week where you don't go anywhere. Kind of like the "Sabbath" used to be. Good for the environment if you drive less, and breaks that constant pull of activity and shopping.

I wish you had bought MY timeshare.. 20 years been there once. Just never time for that and I would rather be at the ranch usually or take a couple weeks and be in Ireland. But it sounded like a good idea at the time,lmao

If my horse were at home and my SO didnt live 30 min away, I would probably stay at home a LOT more. I only get out to run necessary errands, ride the horsie and go to SO's house. Maybe go out for a few meals. But as I grow older, I enjoy staying at home a lotttt more!

Must be a "Meadowview" thing. We're the same way. Though I do have to leave home to go to work. Shhhhh I'm playing hookie today. I love my house. It's better than any vacation I can think of. Horses, dogs, beautiful views, what more do I need?
    M

If you are a hermit, so am I!

When I'm not at work, I want to be at home! We just bought a farm a year ago, and are still working on getting all of the fences up so we can have all the ponies there as well. Once they are home, I'm pretty sure I won't leave the house except to go to work and the grocery store.

And as far as way out there goes- we are at the dead end of a dirt road off of a dirt road.

You know you are in the middle of nowhere when people in the local tiny town (it has a walmart!) say "wow, you really are out there, aren't you?"

I wouldn't have it any other way. It's so peaceful.

Totally normal. I go to the barn and then try and combine all others errands like food shopping, bank and stuff to one day so I don't have to leave the house. I find myself not wanting to leave more and more as I get older.

CHS
    Can you see me? I'm waving across 81.
    Yup, def must be a Meadowview thing. :-)
    I'm home with a 24 hour bug so thus my copious posting on COTH.

Count me in.....I really am not that fond of people (too long involved in nursing and that can be emotional and intimate/personal and I don't want to do that any more) so I'm self employed in a night time delivery route that requires that I see maybe 3 people with which I have to interact (two of them I even like). I LOVE being at home alone with my critters, music, books, artsy/craftsy stuff, gardening etc. and running my life on my time/likes/interests. My ideal would be probably 1000 acres with the house in the middle and a radio controlled gate. I go to town when necessary for business, groceries, feed store trips (and we are so small we don't have a WalMart...nearest is 75 miles away!) and then get the heck back home. Rarely even go to the next town and only if I absolutely have to.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

CHS
    Can you see me? I'm waving across 81.
    Yup, def must be a Meadowview thing. :-)
    I'm home with a 24 hour bug so thus my copious posting on COTH.
    Yes I saw you out the window. I'm afraid I'll get blown off the deck if I go out there. Weird that I'm home with some type of virus today too.
    M

I'm turning into one too. I'm quite happy staying home and playing ponies. Shame that I have to leave to go to work most days, though if we have no site visits, I can work from home.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Me too, I love being on my little farm. If the one horse was not boarded out, I would hardly ever leave it.

Now that I work from home, I only leave the farm when necessary or DH takes me. This after 12 years of 3 hour commute daily.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim