The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stupid dog... stupid horse...aka victims of spring fever

my dogs and horses share a fence line and like to "play" over it.... which results in the stampede noise and a lot of barking... Mir is a whirling dervish prancing and leaping and kicking out and galloping back and forth racing the two idjit mutts that are egging them on... Note the fact that the dogs won't even look at the horses when in the same field with them.. but ti's open season to be annoying as hell when they are behind the safety of a fence. It would be considered abuse to duct tape their mouths shut, wouldn't it... (<---THIS IS SARCASM)

Apparently spring is coming... everyone has "the fever"

what are your signs that spring is to be had soon?
    Last edited by Catersun; Feb. 14, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Shedding. Great chunks of long Morgan hair coming off on everything.

In dog circles, that kind of set up promotes "barrier anxiety/frustration", that may become a bad habit, in some herding breeds even bring out OCD compulsions.

I think horses are just playing, ours are right now, a weather change coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In dog circles, that kind of set up promotes "barrier anxiety/frustration", that may become a bad habit, in some herding breeds even bring out OCD compulsions.

I think horses are just playing, ours are right now, a weather change coming.
    It's largely just a lack of exercise since the baby has been sick. Luke's followup appointment is today. Hopefully we get the all clear to resume regular activity. IE long walks with the dogs again. As always, a tired dog is a good dog. And a beautiful brisk sunny day like today would be beautiful for running the dogs!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Hope all goes well at Luke's follow-up visit!

I was watching the horses and dogs (corgis) playing at my boarding barn yesterday. One horse was standing at the fence and doing his best imitation of a doggy "play bow" possible to get the dogs going (which doesn't take much). He was standing on one leg and then another, kind of weaving back and forth.

Birdies coming back!
    Shedding pony.
    Cabin feverish dogs. Four outings a day just isn't enough.
    21 yr old horses who have suddenly developed a Grand Prix level extended trot!
    A hint of green in the fields.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Usually sensible QH mare decided to do her best "Bold Fury" imitation last night, rearing, crow hopping, kicking up her heels, instead of just coming in for midnight snack and blankets.

Which of course riled up the old timers.

Once I started walking back towards the house instead of continuing to try to convince them to knock of the sillyness, they stopped and watched me, and then when I went back to the barn, they decided that food was much more important.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams