The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Increased hip pain

Hi all,

I had a bad injury when I was around 11 years old; was bucked off my mare, when I landed, I couldn't rise or walk well, and was carried by friends out of the arena (we were riding unsupervised per usual). I *did* have a helmet on. I did not go to the hospital or to the doctor. My friends put my horse away, I went home, limped around for a while but lived just fine.

Years later, additional injuries later (involving but not limited to L5, S1), that hip tends to ache constantly. Esp. when driving or sitting too long. The chiro tells me my pelvis is tilted and numerous physicians have told me that in addition to the tilted pelvis, that leg is shorter than the other without discussing the hip or my pain (in for other reasons).

I'm just wondering if this isn't something more related to the back injuries than that first injury...or if it even matters now. I'm asking here on COTH b/c I wanted to know how fellow RIDERS handled this sort of thing, if they were able to really explain the different injuries and experiences to their doctor and get to the bottom of some of their aches and pains. I'm concerned about it as I'm still quite young and it is limiting what I can/can't do!
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

Have you been to a sports Dr? I'd consider asking him for an MRI of the back (to check for disk damage) and a hip X Ray (to check for arthritis). Both are pretty common for riders!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Consider avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), loss of blood flow to the ball of the hip joint causes the bone to crumble and collapse. It's important to get as early a diagnosis as possible, but sometimes general practitioners mistake it for back pain or arthritis. It can be caused by an injury to the joint, among other things.

See a sports doctor or orthopedist.

I'm kind of suprised your doctors didn't do anything to address your short leg.

My own experience was that my right hip started aching like crazy. To the point it was keeping me up at night. I suspected some of it was due to my working harder in my riding lessons, including more sitting trot. I mentioned this to my barn owner, and she told me to contact a masseuse who had some experience with riders and their muscle issues.

So the masseuse took one look at my uneven legs and promptly reprimanded me for not wearing heel lifts to even up my leg length. Then she proceeded to work my back and hips over, gave me a few hip stretches to practice on my own, and sent me on my way.

The difference was amazing! After a few weeks of wearing my heel lifts and doing my hip stretches every night, my hip felt 100x better.

So maybe try consulting with a good sports massage therapist? They might have some advice for you, and it's probably not too pricey to give it a shot.

Agree, agree, agree.

Get an MRI/ X-Ray just to be sure. Because you never know what COULD have happened until you know exactly what DID (or did not) happen...and what's going on with your body now.

While osteonecrosis is less likely, it IS a possibility. And could certainly be a cause of the pain. Again, better to have it checked out and KNOW it is/isn't there than not to know.

And lastly, massage therapy can be a HUGE help. I know, because massage helped me get my riding and my body back on track. So much so that I became a massage therapist so I could help others the same way I was helped. And now I work with LOTS of different riders with lots of different issues...from the adult ammies who just want to have fun, to trail riders, to pros who are moving up the levels in eventing.

If it's truly a muscle in your hip that's giving you problems, it's probably fairly easily located and fixed. Well, as long as your therapist knows what they're doing that is! (And don't be put off by thinking it can't POSSIBLY a muscle- really, really, REALLY deep hip pain certainly can be- and often IS- just a muscle that's been overworked and needs to relax and get lengthened so it isn't so tight that it's pulling on the hip joint and causing pain.)

Feel free to pm me with where you are and I might be able to help you find a therapist in your area who can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    Consider avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), loss of blood flow to the ball of the hip joint causes the bone to crumble and collapse. It's important to get as early a diagnosis as possible, but sometimes general practitioners mistake it for back pain or arthritis. It can be caused by an injury to the joint, among other things.

See a sports doctor or orthopedist.
    SIL broke her hip/pelvis and 5 years later had to have hip replacement due to that
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.