The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did you get Engaged?

Share your stories....

I told my husband I was tired of "shacking up" and that if our relationship didn't change that I was going to have to find my own place.

Super romantic, huh?

We've been married for 8 years now.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Default savannah

my boyfriend (now husband) took my to savannah, ga for my brithday because it is my favorite city to visit. the day after my birthday, we planned to walk around forsyth park and i was going to show him the "forrest gump bench" where the movie was filmed and where he was waiting for the bus in the movie- because we both love that movie and mr. skip had never seen it!

on the way down to savannah the night before (my b-day), we had stopped and eaten mexican food- we both got some kind of food poisoning from the salsa and were pretty ill the day we got there, so we put our forsyth park plans on hold, since neither one of us wanted to walk around anywhere!

so anyway, the next day, we met up with a friend of mine who lives there and went to get breakfast now that we were feeling better- after breakfast, we decided to go down to the park finally and my friend and ryan all of the sudden said they had to talk about something and could i please go wait in the car! (I thought for sure it was something to do with my birthday, since i had been sick the day-of and it wasnt a very fun day!) so i obeyed and they came out to the car and my friend said she had to go run an errand and would meet back up with us around lunch time. i was confused because i thought she was going to the park with us- but i said ok!

we drove down to the park and got out near the big fountain and looked at all the pretty trees and azaleas etc. mr. skip seemed really distracted and i was wondering if he just still didnt feel well but i didnt say anything. so we got to the "forrest gump bench" and there, on the bench was a shopping bag. he picked it up and pulled out a box of chocolates! he said it was for me and that he had one more suprise for me this weekend! i was laughing because i realized that my friend's "errand" was to go put the chocolates on the bench- i thought that was cute that they planned it together, and i thought it was cute that he got me a "box of chocolates" since it was where forrest gump said the famous line, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what youre gonna get!"

so i was all giddy about the cute gesture and not really paying attention to anything but the pretty day and being with mr. skip. as we walked back towards the fountain, i was commenting on how pretty it was and he grabbed me from behind and said "close your eyes", so i started to turn around and he grabbed my hand and as i turned around he said "i said close your eyes!" (i had NOO idea what was going on), so i did and then he said "do something for me, when you open your eyes, say yes" and my eyes flew open and he was down on one knee holding open a box with a gorgeous ring!

little did i know- my friend had been hiding in the bushes the whole time, after she placed the chocolates on the bench, and as he asked my she pops out of the bushes to take pictures! i was totally speechless and happy and mr. skip wouldnt get up off the ground! i was like "get up!" and he said, "well you didn't say yes, so i'm going to try again- ellie- will you marry me?" and i totally thought i had already said "YES!" as soon as i opened my eyes- but i guess i was overwhelmed by everything and didnt say it out loud! so of course, then i said "yes"!

i was SO surprised- because we had talked about getting married, and even looked at rings together, but i was sure he wasn't going to ask until he finished school in may and paid off some loans etc! i found out later, he had been planning this for months with my friend, and was having my favorite jewelry designer make the ring. originally, the plan was for me to open the box of chocolates in the park and the ring would have been in the box where a chocolate would be, but since we both got so sick and didnt go the day before- it didnt work out. he knew i wouldnt open the chocolates on this day since we had just eaten breakfast- so they had to formulate another plan and thats why they asked me to go wait in the car! he ended up asking me right by the pretty fountain, and thats where we got married the next june, at 8:30 pm when the sun was setting it was perfect!

i coudnt have asked for a better way to be asked, unless maybe he had presented me with a horse wearing a halter with a diamond ring hanging off of it!

our fountain is here:
    http://www.planetware.com/picture/savannah-us-gasv3.htm
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Sweetie and I took a working vacation to Las Vegas (he had a trade show to attend). Everyone from the company he sells for was also there.
    He surprised me by asking me to marry him in front of 14 other people at supper on Wednesday evening. We got the license Thursday morning, I shopped for a dress, had make-up done courtesy of Victoria Secret and the ceremony was at 5:30pm that afternoon. Talk about a sneak attack!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Skip916, what a wonderful story and great guy you married.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Skip916, what a wonderful story and great guy you married.
    I agree!

My DH and I have been pretty inseparable since we met in December '03, and started living together in June of '04.

We had had a very good week at the end of October '06: On Monday, we finally had a ratified contract on a farm here in M'burg after looking for 2.5 years, and on Wednesday, I was champion in the sidesaddle division at Harrisburg/Penn National. On Friday night, he told me he wanted to cook dinner (no problem!), and made a lovely meal, set the table with candles, etc. After he served dessert, he sat down, pulled a ring box out of his pocket, and placed it next to my plate. I just stared at it for a moment, and he said, "Well, we have already had two wonderful things happen this week, I thought we should make sure the third one is the charm."

And I must say, not only can the man cook, he also had really good taste in rings, too.

Here he is: http://shoot4fun.smugmug.com/gallery...327_upmAW-L-LB
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Skip916 THAT IS AMAZING! I am so jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    My DH and I have been pretty inseparable since we met in December '03, and started living together in June of '04.

We had had a very good week at the end of October '06: On Monday, we finally had a ratified contract on a farm here in M'burg after looking for 2.5 years, and on Wednesday, I was champion in the sidesaddle division at Harrisburg/Penn National. On Friday night, he told me he wanted to cook dinner (no problem!), and made a lovely meal, set the table with candles, etc. After he served dessert, he sat down, pulled a ring box out of his pocket, and placed it next to my plate. I just stared at it for a moment, and he said, "Well, we have already had two wonderful things happen this week, I thought we should make sure the third one is the charm."

And I must say, not only can the man cook, he also had really good taste in rings, too.

Here he is: http://shoot4fun.smugmug.com/gallery...327_upmAW-L-LB
    Wow, what a beautiful picture, right out of a book.

(Just curious, I was honorary whipper in for one hunt in the NE, but have never seen electric blue poppers, just white or black ones. )

sidesaddlerider- what a cool picture!

i love hearing engagement stories!

i have to admit, my normally rather unromantic husband did a great job with planning our engagment!

Sidesaddle Rider that is a gorgeous picture!

My DH and I had been together for about 6 months and he was at a training for his job in Virginia Beach before he was going to be working in Japan for a year. So we picked out a ring but he wanted to still surprise me with a proposal. His mom and her husband came to visit for the weekend and we went site seeing. Right when we were finishing our tour of the USS Wisconsin he asked his Mom to get one more picture of us under the ships guns. Which was really odd since he hates pictures. As were posing for the picture I asked him if he was about to do something stupid and he said yup and got down on one knee and proposed!

His Mom got tons of pictures which made it even more special

It was the perfect proposal for us

My story is even on-topic, it has a horse in it!

This fall I adopted my pony when he was retired from my college's riding program for his bad attitude. (FYI he's happy and sane now!) I had arranged with the barn manager to come pick him up on a Saturday morning, and my now-fiance was going to come help me take him to his new home.

That morning his phone went off about an hour earlier than we were even planning on getting up, and after looking through what I supposed was his email, he grumbled and said he had to go into the office, but would try and make it to the barn on time to help me and our friend who was trailering for us load up the pony.

I was pretty annoyed, but I was also so excited about getting my pony and focused on making sure the day went smoothly that nothing struck me as odd.

When I got to the school barn, I met my generous trailer-driving friend in the parking lot, who said that she had already spoken with the barn manarger and that my pony was in the shedrow on the side of the main barn, so I followed her there. As we rounded the corner future Mr. caradino led my pony out of the stall with a pink ribbon tied around his neck.

I was so excited that he had come, and what a sweet gesture it was for him to surprise me and tie a ribbon on my pony, that I didn't even notice there was a RING on that ribbon until he led the pony over to me and got down on one knee to propose. The little crowd of onlookers cheered, and one of my former trainers from school ran over and squealed and gave me a huge hug. A pony and a diamond ring all at once!

Best. Day. Ever.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

ohhhh a few of these are just bringing tears to my eyes! Apparently im a big softie on valentines day!

You guys definitely have some special husbands!!

oh caradino!!! you win!! that is like every horsey girls dream story! well- at least mine! so romantic and thoughtful!

DH asked at his family's Christmas. I was pretty sure it was coming, but was excited all the same. Will be married 9 years come May!

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    oh caradino!!! you win!! that is like every horsey girls dream story! well- at least mine! so romantic and thoughtful!

I am very, very, very blessed! It really couldn't have been more special than being able to have that moment with BOTH my boys! I love 'em more than anything.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I told my husband I was tired of "shacking up" and that if our relationship didn't change that I was going to have to find my own place.

Super romantic, huh?

Mine's similiarly un-romantic.

I became pregnant unexpectedly despite correct and consistant birth control use. DH, being a traditional stand-up kind of guy, offered to marry me, and I refused. Told him I wanted to marry someone who wanted to marry me because they wanted to spend their life with me, not out of some sort of sense of duty and obligation to our unborn child, and in a fit of pregant-lady histrionics, I refused to even discuss the possibility of marriage until after our son was born.

DH took me out to dinner and proposed to me again on a moonlight walk around the lake when our son was a couple of months old, and that time, I accepted.

Our son is 7, so we've been married about 6 1/2 years. Yes, we do get funny looks when people do the math, but that's okay.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Love the stories!

Mine asked on horseback, in the middle of a ride, onto of a grassy hill in the sun with a gorgeous view. We had picked out the ring, so I knew it was coming. He had been teasing me all weekend, so I didn't think he would actually do so on the ride, though I did tell him that it would be very romantic if he did so. Imagine my surprised when he basically said, you know you are right and proceeded to propose. Fortunately both the horses cooperated. He did get to laugh as the gelding I was on picked up my happy bounciness afterward and the two of us pranced/bounced all the way back to the barn. He and my older gelding calmly followed along behind, grinning from ear to ear. I don't think he could have planned it any better, it was wonderful.

My husband was making this big speech about "family" at our family Christmas, and my Mom and I sort of looked at each other both of us thinking "this is starting to sound like a proposal"... but how could it? He was a confirmed bachelor in his 50s, and I had just lost the marriage argument (yet again) a month or so ago. After 6 1/2 years, I figured I was out of luck.

But no... he designed a gorgeous engagement ring, asked my father's permission and everything. He said marriage wasn't important to him, but is obviously was to me. We were married on our 7th anniversary, and have been happily married for almost 5 years now.

We didn't really get engaged.

Neither of us were dying to get married. I got pregnant, had our son (he's 9) and then my mom griped at him about why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free when baby was five days old.

His family friend is a judge, and we called his office, drove there (me in pajama pants, he in board shorts) and got married.

It'll be 10 years marriage this year