The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dewormer for foxes

So I've got several feral cats living under the tool shed and I'm wondering if I can give them the same meds that i've heard that foxes get. Well actually I've never heard that, but I read it in a Rita Mae Brown book! So is it true? And if so, what brand, how (in food?) and how often?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Well, what works for mange in foxes is two tenths of a cc of ivomec, two weeks apart (injected into a chicken neck or a hot dog).

But I don't know about ivomec and cats, for one thing. For another, if you have 'several,' you can't make sure they all get the right dosage.

If it were me, I'd ask a vet, and/or one of the feral cat organizations who do a lot of good work. You might even get a deal on trapping/neutering/deworming/vaccinations and return to tool shed!

Gestalt, you might try contacting Huntertwo. She works with feral cats and may be able to help you. She doesn't post in this forum though - try the Around the Farm forum to get her attention, or just send a pm.

Good luck.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks! I did talk with the vet and he wanted me to trap them and bring them in. I have done that in the past and a few months ago I trapped three and brought them in for spay/neuter, but money is getting very, very tight. I don't want to keep paying for feral cats to be checked and vaccinated. I'll only pay a vet to "fix" them, not deworm or deflea.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*