The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2007
    Posts
    97

    Question anxious horse

    my 7 yr old WB seems more anxious this winter. I did have him on a magnesium supplement for awhile, but i did not notice any improvement, so i stopped it. he seems worse than ever right now. my husband is a farrier and was shoeing him yesterday and commented that he's never seen him so anxious. he was trembling and scared. he's never had a bad experience with him and i bred this horse, so i know. he did have a scary blanket accident 4 yrs ago and he's been a worry wart, since. he get's over stimulated easily, so desenitizing has the opposite effect on him. I've tried back flower essence, massage, chiropractic, accupuncture for him. I may put him back on the mag. I just started him on the back flower rescue remedy and bach flower remedy "aspen". any other suggestions. it's heart breaking to see him so affraid of nothing! he does not like change.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    This is going to sound weird and I have no basis as to why it works - but twice now I've put nervous/anxious horses on Accel vitamins and it totally calmed them down. One scoop AM and one scoop PM. Maybe it's the full B vitamin complex, maybe it's the Tryptophan - but for whatever reason, I've had really good results. It also acts as a really nice electrolyte - I've noticed the horses drink up nicely after eating.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    This is going to sound weird and I have no basis as to why it works - but twice now I've put nervous/anxious horses on Accel vitamins and it totally calmed them down. One scoop AM and one scoop PM. Maybe it's the full B vitamin complex, maybe it's the Tryptophan - but for whatever reason, I've had really good results. It also acts as a really nice electrolyte - I've noticed the horses drink up nicely after eating.
    thanks meadow36! my only concern is that my horse does not get grain, due to allergies. so he gets alot of supplements and hay extender and alot of hay, so i would worry about putting him on another vitamin supplement. he's on high doses of vit. E and i have his E and selenium checked, so i know they are where they need to be.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 6, 2000
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,333

    Default

    Have you had his vision checked? Failing vision is one possibility for increased spookiness.

    Are there particular places or situations when the horse seems spooky? Or is he spooky all the time?

    If it occurs at particular times or places, try to figure out what might have changed about the environment or the time.

    Good luck, but I would have the vet check his vision.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    Have you had his vision checked? Failing vision is one possibility for increased spookiness.

    Are there particular places or situations when the horse seems spooky? Or is he spooky all the time?

    If it occurs at particular times or places, try to figure out what might have changed about the environment or the time.

    Good luck, but I would have the vet check his vision.
    thanks for your reply. i don't think it's his vision. he's not always anxious. i would not classify his behavior as spooky. he's worried. left alone in his paddock or stall he's totally fine, but when you go to do something with him that he's not use too he gets worried like what do you want me to do. once he knows then he relaxes. I'm looking into putting him back on magnesium and maybe some b vitamins, since he does not get grain and i'm relying on supplements for all of his nutritional needs and hay. right now where we live there's no pasture.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Can you make a list here of all his supplements and his diet? Maybe he is lacking in something. What is he allergic to?



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Can you make a list here of all his supplements and his diet? Maybe he is lacking in something. What is he allergic to?
    he's allergic to wheat, timothy hay, bermuda, orchard. he has terrible bug allergies in the spring, summer and fall. i guess you could say his immune system is messed up. my vet was more concerned about the wheat, so he had no grain since he was 2, just hay extender. he gets platinum performance with exta E. i also supplement him with extra e and SE and have had him tested yearly to make sure his E & Se counts are in range. I started him on Magnesium for his anxiety and tendency toward tight muscles 2 yrs ago, but did not notice much improvement, except his muscles were not as tight. I ran out a few months ago and thought that I'd give him a break from it. as i think back i wonder if that's when his anxiety increased. he's never been this anxious ever. he's also use to being ridden more during the winter, although he's not the type of horse that get's hot. i think he relys on routine and attention, which he's not getting much of right now due to our awful winter. he's had Lyme twice and erhlicia once, so that could also be contributing to his anxiety.



Similar Threads

  1. Tips for an anxious horse?
    By DottieHQ in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May. 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
  2. Worrier/anxious horse, supplement?
    By NErider in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar. 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
  3. Thoughts for the anxious horse?
    By Heinz 57 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May. 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
  4. Tums for the anxious horse?
    By Mr.GMan in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb. 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
  5. Horse Anxious in Stall
    By Debbie in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec. 10, 2008, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness