The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Pedigree

Yes, another one...
    But I recognize very few names. Mill Reef jumps out at me, and when I go back to the 5th and 6th generations I start to see some names, but can anyone (Viney?) talk about the "closer" generations? This mare has been used as a jumper, but I don't know to what level.

Black Star
    -Jessica

Do you have the papers on this mare? What makes you think that this pedigree is with that mare? I can't find where that mare was ever imported.

Edit: ah, here it is, from the JC site:

= A symbol often seen on equineline products in front of a horse name which indicates that the horse has never been imported into the USA or Canada. Note: when a name shows both the = and a country code after the name, it designates the foaling country of the foreign animal instead of importation.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

South American imports are almost impossible to research. Especially ones that have so many generations of South American bred TBs.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    South American imports are almost impossible to research. Especially ones that have so many generations of South American bred TBs.

Well darn. I was hoping you'd have some insight. I haven't seen her so can't comment on how nice/not nice she is. But her bloodlines made me look twice just because I didn't recognize any of those names !
    -Jessica

Unless you are living in Uruguay, you're looking at the wrong horse.

Haven't seen her, don't know anything about her, just found her advertised on DreamHorse, and it says she's in Maine. Pedigree is entered on DreamHorse and matches the one on Equineline... so...

Edited to add that I couldn't help myself and emailed the seller - now my interest is peaked!
    -Jessica

They probably bought her from someone who told them she's a thoroughbred and her name is Black Star, they looked it up, and just filled it in, not even noticing she's in Uruguay.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    They probably bought her from someone who told them she's a thoroughbred and her name is Black Star, they looked it up, and just filled it in, not even noticing she's in Uruguay.
    Entirely possible. I'll be interested to see if I hear from the seller.
    -Jessica

Default Well if it is her...

it is a nice pedigree for sport. The Uruguay horses go back to good British and French breeding found in sport pedigrees. PatO

It cant be her. The pedigree at Equineline indicates she was never imported.

halo, I don't think anyone is listening to you.

Hahahahha......I believe you're right!

I can be her. Not every horse imported from Argentina and Uruguay is imported as a race horse or broodmare, and therfore the equinline/JC know nothing about it.
    For example, this is the pedigree for Anne Kursinski's GP showjumper in the 90's, an imported TB she called Eros, registered name Cecil. As you see, according to equineline he never left Australia.
    Also look up the pedigree to Michael Matz' Pan-Am gold medal winning horse, the Argentinian TB called The General.

However, in the case of this particular horse, it does seem odd that someone would spend a boat load of money importing a mare from Uru/Arg as a possible jumper prospect and then end up selling her in Maine for $1600. So it may not be the Uruguayan mare. But just because equineline says the horse was not imported doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    Flyingbolt - '66 CCh AND CH, the "Forgotten Horse"
    Golden Cygnet - '78 Sup NvH, '78 Scot CH (RIP).