The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving 5 horses. Give Ulcer Preventive?

We are picking up and moving our farm, including our five horses. Considering the sensitivity of horses' guts when it comes to stress, I'm considering giving them something like UlcerGaurd before, during, after.

What are the pros and cons? Thanks

ETA; Based on some responses here, I see I wasn't clear. It's not exclusively the trip that concerns me, it is the stress of moving from their home of several years to a new, unknown place. Having read about the startling frequency of ulcers associated with the stress of travel, showing, etc., I'm a bit worried.
    Last edited by GilbertsCreeksideAcres; Feb. 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

Give each horse a tube prior to loading for long hauls. Never had a problem.
    PEACE

Default I like Gut by Uckele

I use it during show season.
    ANd on days if I am taking out to trainers.
    I would by large size with the amount of horses you have.
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011

I guess if they were known to have problems it wouldn't hurt, but jeeeeeeez. We've been moving horses all over creation for a very long time. Never seen one dissolve yet.

If it's a short trip, give them some Rolaids. But ulcers don't just happen in an hour. I personally don't give mine anything unless they're going to be on the road/in the trailer for 24 solid hours or something really, REALLY stressful is happening. All of mine are cheerful, veteran travelers, thank heaven.
    Click here before you buy.

I will be doing the same thing, and was told to give ulcergard/gastrogard as a preventative... a couple days before and after the trip.

Also, I believe Sarah Ralston has done a study on travel and supplementing with vit c and e you might want to check out.

some give antibiotics and I was told that was such a huge no no. If the horse does get sick, you have compromised him by giving him antibiotics and plus you are dosing antibiotics for a possible no reason.

Good luck...although my name is fivehorses, I really have 10 now! Oh what fun that will be to move the farm, equipment,etc.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I guess if they were known to have problems it wouldn't hurt, but jeeeeeeez. We've been moving horses all over creation for a very long time. Never seen one dissolve yet.
    You said it for me.

Fresh hay, good air ventilation and smooth driving as much as possible.

The "startling incidence" of ulcers in studies conducted by Merial, you mean?
    Click here before you buy.

Thumbs up

Hear!!Hear!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I swear, if anyone speaks to me personally of giving their horse antibiotics preventatively, I might be inclined to slap them in the face. THOSE are the types of reasons we have an increasing rate of resistance towards antibiotics and THAT is how we create super-bugs.

Never even crossed my mind to feed the three I will probably be moving this year (similar situation to yours, OP) ulcer treatment. 1-2 OTTB's will be included in the trip. 9 years ago we moved 2 horses cross mountains and switched provinces. Eta: had my 3 1/2yo mare (3 at the time) hauled across the mountains as well, last fall. No ulcer treatment then either. In fact, a little chuckle definitely escaped me when I read the topic, no offense OP. They'll be FINE!
    Last edited by naturalequus; Feb. 12, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

http://www.esc.rutgers.edu/publicati...eral/FS656.htm

although not the study I was looking for...she had done research on traveling stress with PMU foals years ago.
    She does address stress of trailering and mentions the use of vit e and c.

Some folks trailer their horses a lot, and for those horses, it will be less stressful.
    For those who don't trailer often or have a horse who does not like trailering, I would think every precaution they can take is warranted.

I do not advise, and have been told not to do a preventative antibiotic for reasons naturalequs mentions. I know of people who do this, but checked with my internal med vet who knows my horse's medical history(very immune compromised) and she said, no way to use preventative antibiotics.

She also did not recommend an immune boost...I think its called imstim or something like that. She said, sure it boosts the immune system, but in what ways, maybe not a way we want.

So, I am doing the ulcergard, e and c, really yummy hay, and saying bon voyage...see ya there. I am having mine professionally hauled.
    good luck, and have fun.

Thanks for your thoughts. Fivehorses, I will be having the vet out this week for Coggins, rabies and health certificates (the latter since we're moving to a different state), so I'm going to ask her about this. I'll post a note here after speaking to her, in case anyone is interested in hearing her recommendation as well.

Cheers!

I definitely would be interested in hearing her comments.
    best of luck to you.

Hey GCA--
    I think as long as you're set up for them at the new place, they're going to be fine. If they've got food, water, appropriately safe pasture & housing, and the quick establishment of familiar routines, they're likely to be fine. And I know you, so I know they're going to have all of the above.

I might suggest moving the boldest one(s) first, several hours before the rest, letting them get the lay of the land in order to function as a reassuring welcoming committee for the more timid ones later, but, really, they'll all likely adjust pretty quickly.

I've still got some Thia-Cal, which worked for Roux as both a "calming" agent and a pretty decent B-vitamin immunity boost. It's a pretty harmless booster, and it did do her some good in taking the edge off some immuno-responses (like over-reacting to insect bites, etc.). Be happy to pass it on to you.

Sorry to see you leaving the neighborhood, but delighted to welcome you back to the state!

Thanks, BR. I might take you up on the Thia-Cal after I talk to the vet.

Default Update from Vet

Update: The vet told me not to bother with ulcer preventive. She thinks they'll be fine and probably happy to have so much more space!

FWIW, I've moved my whole herd a couple times in my life, and although it's hard on my end from a labor perspective (lots of packing and planning!), it's actually been relatively easy in terms of horses settling. I think that by remaining together they find comfort in each other in new surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    FWIW, I've moved my whole herd a couple times in my life, and although it's hard on my end from a labor perspective (lots of packing and planning!), it's actually been relatively easy in terms of horses settling. I think that by remaining together they find comfort in each other in new surroundings.
    -Jessica

We moved our 2 horses, 2 cows, 23 chickens, 12 goats, 2 dogs and 2 cats from Missouri to Minnesota in September. All in one long caravan and including our household goods. It took 12 hours and we hit every type of weather and traffic situation possible. The animals were unfazed and not treated with anything to make it easier on them. they unloaded and started eating I WAS THE ONE NEEDING ULCER MEDICATION.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    We moved our 2 horses, 2 cows, 23 chickens, 12 goats, 2 dogs and 2 cats from Missouri to Minnesota in September. All in one long caravan and including our household goods. It took 12 hours and we hit every type of weather and traffic situation possible. The animals were unfazed and not treated with anything to make it easier on them. they unloaded and started eating I WAS THE ONE NEEDING ULCER MEDICATION.
    Holy Toledo! I would need ulcer medicine AND Valium after that one.