The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

After re-locating AGAIN (2nd time in 6 months) I was amazed at how many Hunter-Jumper barns there are in Michigan. (Long story on the switching)

My sister is currently looking for a new location for her & her mare. She does novice/limit stuff right now and does not get along with my trainer. Also, she never takes the advice of her big sis anyways.

What are some names of barns that all of you have had experiences with?? and what city are they in??? Did you like the trainers?? She wants to show this summer and the parents are willing to drive anywhere just to get her focused.

Thanks for the input.

Jumpers Rule!!!

[This message was edited by JumpinRealHigh on Jan. 12, 2004 at 06:44 PM.]
    Jumpers Rule!!!

After re-locating AGAIN (2nd time in 6 months) I was amazed at how many Hunter-Jumper barns there are in Michigan. (Long story on the switching)

My sister is currently looking for a new location for her & her mare. She does novice/limit stuff right now and does not get along with my trainer. Also, she never takes the advice of her big sis anyways.

What are some names of barns that all of you have had experiences with?? and what city are they in??? Did you like the trainers?? She wants to show this summer and the parents are willing to drive anywhere just to get her focused.

Thanks for the input.

Jumpers Rule!!!

[This message was edited by JumpinRealHigh on Jan. 12, 2004 at 06:44 PM.]
    Jumpers Rule!!!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Thier are sooooo many like you said , Do you know what circuit she would like to focus on? So many of the barns are one trainer and can only focus on primarily one. If you are in the Western side of the State there is Kentree, they do Lake Effects, and Many A and B shows (two trainers). Meadowview , also Lake Effects and MHJA and other select A shows (2 trainers). David Warner Stable, same as above and AQHA I believe also (1 trainer). these 3 are in the Grand Rapids area. Battle Creek and Mid State area , Windsong Stable, Same as above (minus the Qtr horse stuff)(2 trainers) Fieldstone Farms mostly Lake effects and some MHJA (1 trainer). Foxbrush same as above (2 trainers). These are people and trainers I know and or have seen in operation. If you would like to email me privately in regard to any of these stables I would be glad to answer any of your questions.

If she is interested in the rated shows (A's) as opposed to the local or schooling circuits, I can give you a whole list of names and barns. A lot would certainly depend on WHERE in the state they live.
    Send me an email (listed in profile) if you would like a good long list, personal opinions on them shared if requested. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif
    Susan

What part of the state? Email me, if you'd like.

"That is, without doubt, the worst pirate I've ever seen." -- Commodore Norrington in The Pirates of the Carribbean.
    \"Get after her, you feckless pack of ingrates!\"

We live in Sterling Heights. But, like I said, if it is a good barn where my sister can get the proper training my parents will make the drive. She hasn't shown yet, but would like to start, so probably C or B barn.

Thanks for the input.

My email isn't working, so I can't email anyone.

Jumpers Rule!!!
    Jumpers Rule!!!

I'm not sure exactly where Sterling Heights is, other than the Detroit Metro area, right?

Check the MHJA website MHJA for affiliate farms. Not all MHJA farms are there, but you can see several. My dtr started on the C circuit 3 years ago, and has shown B for the last two yrs.

Susan (slp) has a great list of trainers in the area, but may not be familiar with some of the MHJA trainers. I'm heavily biased towards our trainer, as she works wonders with green horses, and despite her "tell-it-like-it-is" attitude, she is successful and has a waiting list to get into her barn. Unfortunately for your sister, she no longer does C's, and is moving away from B's.

Outside of that tidbit, if you want to know more, you can PT me or email (in profile). I won't post info of a personal nature for general public viewing. Between all of us here, we should be able to give you ideas for where you can at least start your search.

A couple of places to consider: K-Farms, Ortonville; Rochester Hills Stables, Rochester Hills (duh); Willowbrook Farm, South Lyon. Good and bad about each, but these seem to have some decent novice/limit riders, at least nothing too scarey. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

I'm just the mom.

Proud Member: Thoroughbred Clique, Danish Warmblood Clique, & Support Your Servicemen Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dcm:
    Check the MHJA website http://www.mhja.org for affiliate farms. Not all MHJA farms are there, but you can see several. My dtr started on the C circuit 3 years ago, and has shown B for the last two yrs.
    I won't post info of a personal nature for general public viewing. Between all of us here, we should be able to give you ideas for where you can at least start your search.

A couple of places to consider: K-Farms, Ortonville; Rochester Hills Stables, Rochester Hills (duh); Willowbrook Farm, South Lyon. Good and bad about each, but these seem to have some decent novice/limit riders, at least nothing too scarey. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

I'm just the mom.

Proud Member: Thoroughbred Clique, Danish Warmblood Clique, & Support Your Servicemen Clique<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are all good suggestions for someone looking to do the entry level stuff, but I also won't post anything of a personal nature for public viewing and there are a lot of strong opinions out there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif. Most of the trainers that I know of do only the 'A' shows, both in and out of state which probably isn't where your sister would want to start (although you did say you wanted an "incredible competitive" barn, and a entry level rider CAN compete at the competitive A shows). Our barn is in Oakland Twp. and the trainer is fantastic, but we are completely full as far as any new boarders.
    What about Springbrook over by where you live? Or is that where you currently are that isn't working out for her?

Susan

(If you look at Rochester Hills Stables, go over to their facility next door which is called Pine Ridge. Both owned by the same family but Pine Ridge is for boarders only - most of them show, A, B, & C - where the other barn is a huge lesson barn. And it really isn't in Rochester Hills, it's on Rochester Rd. just past 32 Mile, actually closer to Romeo.)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slp:
    What about Springbrook over by where you live? Or is that where you currently are that isn't working out for her?

Susan

Yep, I was stuipd enough to back AGAIN. I was talked into trying it, its different now, none of the same people or trainers. But, what I didn't realize was is the owners are the same. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

I have only been at my new barn for a short while, but so far adore it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Mom is looking over my shoulder & taking notes for sis!!!

Jumpers Rule!!!
    Jumpers Rule!!!

Willowbrooke Farm is a nice place to start off with a 'C' circuit rider. The trainer there also actively competes on the 'C' and 'B' circuit. It's quite a drive from Sterling Heights (probably a little over an hour). Rochester Hills Farm is a good choice also, that is about 30-40 minutes from you -it's in Romeo- the horse I lease is like a mile from here.

Good luck in your search!! I can give you a few barns to stear clear off but I'm not going to post them on here, feel free to PM me http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

-Tami-

[Enigma 'Kid']

Dee Ring Designs Quality equine web deisgn!
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Just a thumbs up for Kentree in GR... Brett starts the kids and takes them to the smaller shows, and then Mark does the A shows. They're both wonderful with horses and with people, and it's a great family barn.
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

So does that mean you like Springbrook and your sister doesn't?? Do you ride with Steve?

I live in the same area as you. You can e-mail me if you'd like more info on barns in the area. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Steve is a great trainer, does well in state and out of state.. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JumpinRealHigh:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by slp:

Susan

Yep, I was stuipd enough to back AGAIN. I was talked into trying it, its different now, none of the same people or trainers. But, what I didn't realize was is the owners are the same. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

I have only been at my new barn for a short while, but so far adore it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Mom is looking over my shoulder & taking notes for sis!!!

Jumpers Rule!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are you riding/training now?
    The guy who was the trainer at Springbrook maybe 4-5 years ago is my daughters trainer; he left there and started his own barn and I can't speak highly enough of what a fantastic trainer he is. (We've been with him almost 3 years.) The show results pretty much speak for themselves. Our assistant trainer also used to be over there I think.
    Susan

Yes the guy that used to be a Springbrook is great for Novice kids. Steve is more an advanced trainer and very particular about discipline which isn't always fun but very good if you want to go far in riding..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sparten:
    Yes the guy that used to be a Springbrook is great for Novice kids. Steve is more an advanced trainer and very particular about discipline which isn't always fun but very good if you want to go far in riding..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that is obviously a different trainer http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif; they have had more than one trainer over there prior to Steve coming in. The one I'm talking about doesn't even teach novice riders so you probably are thinking of the wrong person. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    Steve is a fine trainer, and I know of several people that train with him and are very happy. Obviously the original poster of this thread is not one of them since she appears to have trained there at 2 separate times and has left for another barn again. No trainer is going to be perfect for everyone, that is just part of this business.

Very True!! It's great your happy with your trainer.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..not to start anything here, but Steve by no means does well in state & out of state!!!! He doesn't have any kids, thats another reason why I left. All's he does at the shows is hang. If that's a good trainer, I wanna be one.

I am not going to state who I am or where I went for obivious reasons now. No bashing here.
    I was truly looking for a place for my sister, and I believe they are looking at a place on Sunday.

Thanks

Jumpers Rule!!!
    Jumpers Rule!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JumpinRealHigh:
    I was truly looking for a place for my sister, and I believe they are looking at a place on Sunday.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best of luck to your sister. Finding the right trainer in the right place is not an easy task. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

I'm just the mom.

Proud Member: Thoroughbred Clique, Danish Warmblood Clique, & Support Your Servicemen Clique