The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Were paddock boots called paddock shoes in days of old?

I seem to remember this...does anyone else or is my mind going faster than I think? Also, I hear more and more people call the red coats that the hunt stff, MFH etc wear, scarlett rather than Pink. That was a huge nono in days gone by. What is the common parlence these days?

I only remember paddock boots being called boots and the coat only referred to as pink at least going back to 60-70's.

But are they still referred to as Pink coats?

I remember them being called paddock boots also.

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    But are they still referred to as Pink coats?
    Pink was the name of the maker. I heard a story that he purchased a 'large' lot of good quality red wool from the British military stores and made his coats out of that. It sounded plausible to me.

If you call a coat pink it should be made by Pink. Otherwise it is just a red riding jacket. Hey has anyone seen a preview of the new Red riding hood movie? Riding hood and they never mentioned a pony- what's up with that?

I remember calling them paddock shoes in college in the 1990s. Maybe it's a regional thing.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Must be a regional thing. I remember paddock shoes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Pink was the name of the maker. I heard a story that he purchased a 'large' lot of good quality red wool from the British military stores and made his coats out of that. It sounded plausible to me.

If you call a coat pink it should be made by Pink. Otherwise it is just a red riding jacket. Hey has anyone seen a preview of the new Red riding hood movie? Riding hood and they never mentioned a pony- what's up with that?
    It seems the story of the tailor Pink (or Pinque or Pinke) is probably not true.
    http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~reedsj/pink.html

Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Jodhpur boots in MY day! (Johdpur? - still does not look right)

I remember calling them paddock shoes back in the 80s/early 90s. In fact, I still call them that sometimes.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Back in the fifties/sixties (ugh, I'm old!) in my area (NoVa), it was jodhpur boots and paddock shoes.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Apparently, interesting evolution and/ or regional differences! Never heard of 'em until I got to Virginia for college in 1971- but they were called paddock boots. Prior to that, 60s in Texas, I did have jodphurs and jodphur boots. And of course cowboy boots and jeans.

As for tailor Pink, yes, when I started hunting in 1971 they were routinely called pink coats. But the legend has been pretty thoroughly disproven I think. More recently hunt clothing shops have marketed them as 'Pinque' coats which I find really awful. So I call them scarlet in self defense, maybe that's why others do too.

Oh, I am so glad I did not make the memory up....more and more of a problem.....I also remember jodhper boots; I had forgotten them. Were they interchangable terms or different. I remember having a pair that strapped around the ankle instead of lacing up.

If there is a distinction between Johdpur boots and paddock boots, it would be that johdpur boots are pull-ons (like Blundstones) and paddock boots zip or lace up.

However, both are ridden with johdpurs!

The memory is a little misty here, back to the fifties...but I believe jodhpur boots were zip up and associated more with saddle seat riding, and paddock shoes were the lace up type and associated more with H/J. Fellow fossils, am I right?
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

The first official riding gear my mailman brought from Millers in 1962 included a black velveteen hunt cap, and brown jodhpur boots with a strap around the ankle.

And Millers was at 123 E 24th St, New York NY.

Now why can't I remember where I put my glasses!

In my mind, Jodhpur Boots do not lace up, and Paddock Boots do. My mother has a lovely old pair of brown Jodhpur Boots with ankle straps. Saddle Seat people ride in Jodhpur Boots which have the elastic panels at the ankle and should never be confused with the cap toed, lace up Paddock Boots.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

FWIW In my mind, paddock shoes were called shoes because they laced up. Boots were something you pulled on, hence Jodhpur boots with the elastic sides or buckle straps.

Jodhpur boots and paddock shoes became interchangeable terms sometimewise in the early 80's as I remember it. The paddock shoes/boots still mostly laced up (although custom ones were always available with zips) until Ariat came along and when they solved their early zipper issues, the zips began outselling lace ups. Except for kids for whom (on the east coast) brown lace ups were the 'show' boots and black zips were for schooling. Now, with brown zips readily available, most kids are showing in zips, and why not? They can do them themselves, saving Mom's time for the plaited pigtails!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Just whipped out my trusty 1962 Miller's catalog and on the page labeled "Correct Riding Shoes" they have:

Jodhpur boots, the strap model ($12.95)
    Laced riding shoes, English made (no reference to "paddock") ($22.50)
    Elastic side jodhpur boots, calfskin ($22.50)
    Zipper jodhpur boots w/elastic sides ("very popular at race and trotting tracks") ($14.95)