The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Warning: rant.

Okay, here's the story. I ride with a pretty large A show barn with lots of nice horses. I am horse shopping right now and every time I sit down with my trainer, he looks at me like I am crazy to think I can find a horse on my budget. And I feel like he treats me a little differently than all the snooty kids in the barn because of it.

Let me give you a few facts, and please tell me if you think he is being ridiculous. I am looking for a nice horse (doesn't have to be beautiful, and doesn't have to win the hack) to eventually do the amateurs on, and I can spend just under 6 figures. I don't think that is an unreasonably low amount, but maybe I am crazy.

Also, I am in my twenties. I am pretty pleased with myself that, at this age, I am even able to afford this sport, much less a quality horse.

Is it fair for my trainer to act like I am too "poor" to compete? Do you think he is just trying to get me to spend more money, or do you really think I am being unreasonable to expect to find a quality horse for this amount? Am I the only one who rides with a BNT and is on some sort of a budget? If he is being unreasonable, how should I respond to him?

Warning: rant.

Okay, here's the story. I ride with a pretty large A show barn with lots of nice horses. I am horse shopping right now and every time I sit down with my trainer, he looks at me like I am crazy to think I can find a horse on my budget. And I feel like he treats me a little differently than all the snooty kids in the barn because of it.

Let me give you a few facts, and please tell me if you think he is being ridiculous. I am looking for a nice horse (doesn't have to be beautiful, and doesn't have to win the hack) to eventually do the amateurs on, and I can spend just under 6 figures. I don't think that is an unreasonably low amount, but maybe I am crazy.

Also, I am in my twenties. I am pretty pleased with myself that, at this age, I am even able to afford this sport, much less a quality horse.

Is it fair for my trainer to act like I am too "poor" to compete? Do you think he is just trying to get me to spend more money, or do you really think I am being unreasonable to expect to find a quality horse for this amount? Am I the only one who rides with a BNT and is on some sort of a budget? If he is being unreasonable, how should I respond to him?

WOW! Just under 6 figures might buy you the nicest amateur hunter up in Canada for crying out loud!

Don't get discouraged, and always remember your trainer is employed by you. They provide YOU with a service, for which you pay for, and they should be willing to work at accomplishing your goals within your personal budget, etc.

I would make a note at being very clear your limits on purchasing a horse, sometimes they like to see how far they can push that cheque and you just need to stick to your guns and be confident. And shed no worry, you will find that perfect horse- it is meant to be for all of us we just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck and keep us posted!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

6 Figures, and you are being treated that way?
    Yipes, that is rude in my personal opinion.
    Perhaps you should jokingly tell him how you see it, and see what kind of response you get.

I remember the response I got from one of my trainers when he seemed to be down on my horse, I did not know how to approach him about what I was feeling so I finally just flat out asked if he was going to send my horse "To The Cornfield", ala Twilight Zone.
    I got a look of surprise and then an honest answer, that I really appreciated.

I don't know where you are...but just under 6 figures should get you a pretty darn nice horse. Especially if you are willing to get something not quite made (but for that it should be pretty darn spectacular http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ). Are you maybe being oversensitive to your trainer's comments/tone? It might not be meant like that at all http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Good luck with your shopping.

Alter...look at my signature line, every single day I remind myself how true it is.
    It sounds like you need to also.
    JMHO of course.

Come West, you will find something for 5 figures dear.
    I am open for Horse Hunting anytime.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Just under 6 figures is plenty of money to spend on an A/O horse. Granted, if you want something that is currently doing the 3'6", you aren't going to find the winner (or maybe even a ribbon winner) at Indoors for that price, but you can find a very, very nice Pre-Green horse that will be ready to move up soon (Dec, springtime, etc).

I happen to know that this is true, because I imported a 6 year-old in July that will move up to the 1st Years and A/Os in December. I got him for definitely less than 6 figures. This is a horse that we think will be able to be at least in the ribbons at Indoors, Devon.

I would advise you to call around and gather ideas of prices. I called about horses that I saw on websites, in the Chronicle, and my trainers talked to many other trainers regarding their sale horses. That way, you can get an idea of current prices, and how far your dollar will go.

In any case, don't be bullied by your trainer - you have it right. You'll be able to find a wonderful horse with what you have to spend - even less if you look a bit!

Your trainer is treating you like a poor relation because you can *only* spend about $90,000 on a horse???!!!

I wish I were that poor.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Smile and nod. Then, when you find said horse and whip the behind of everyone else in trainer's barn. Smile and nod...money and ribbon in hand.

5 Minutes on the web:

http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1091490447&0

http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1085006112&0

http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1083683727&0

http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1091490447&0

Maybe these horses are lame, or insane, and I’m just too naive to tell. Maybe their asking price doesn’t allow room for 30% commission.

I've seen at least 5 horses come and go from my relatively modest barn, that fit what you are asking for, for mid to high 5 figures--and thats just in the last 6 months.

You can most def find a horse under 6 figures that can do the rateds just fine.. I think you trainer may be looking at what he may lose if you dont spend a higher amount.. The more you spend the bigger commission he gets..

I had a student in fla who told me she had $25,000 to spend on a horse and she could not go higher..I found her 2 horses and one green one made, she did the adults on the made and won.. She spent $20,000 on him and $4,000 on the greenie.. Well she sold the greenie a yr later to a friend of mine for $30,000 cause he swept up the pre-greens on the fla circuit..

My point is if you look around and try out horses it may take while but you will find a great horse in your budget...I would just tell your trainer this is what I have and thats that..
    Let the horse go, get out of its way, it knows what to do...Stop pulling and keep kicking!!!!!!

This situation is really ridiculous. My trainer routinely finds 6 figure horses for some customers, but has a good enough eye to find me a very green 4yo for less than $20, who was very competitive in the middle adults all summer, champion a couple of times, won the a/a championship for the local winter series, qualified for all fall indoor 3' adult classics, is pretty, etc. He won't win the hack, but might get a ribbon, is brave, big, with a big step. My trainer knew I'd be patient and put in the time on a greenie, but this horse should step up to the 3'6" in 2005.

The truly talented trainer should be able to find horses in all budget ranges. If your trainer gives you any attitude about that, I think you need a new trainer.

I would strongly suggest you be very direct with your trainer and explain what you want and how much is the max you will pay including the commission. Then you need to ask if he can find a horse that meets your needs with these limits or should you just give up looking for horses with him.
    Believe me, this is a market that allows for alot of room to negotiate, perhaps your trainer doesn't like to do that. If he doesn't, then he doesn't have your best interest at the forefront. Remember some trainers like to buy known horses that have large sales prices because they feel they look better than the next trainer who is out there looking for the best deal they can get for the client.
    Most important thing to do is first talk with your trainer and be very frank about your expectations and find out whether he is eager to meet them or not. If not then you know where you stand.

That is the most rediculous (sp?) thing I have ever heard!!! If your trainer honestly believes that there exists no nice horses under $100000 then there is something really wrong with his head! I know many people with horses that can compete in the Amateurs and they only spent in the 4 digits. You go and show your tainer that you can find the horse on your budget and never mind his stupid remarks. I really hate how this industry is becoming more about money than the actual love of the sport! (Sorry for the little rant.)
    Anyway, I don't know where you are located, but here are some examples of nice horses in your price range:
    Don Prima
    Habanero
    Morse Code
    Sterling
    Red Tag
    Karla
    The Merlyn
    High Flight
    Dream On
    Caution: Beware the Mare!!
    ~Member of \"OMGiH I loff my mare\" Clique
    ~Member of The Blonde Rider Clique
    ~Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    ~Founder of the Appaloosa Lover Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cashew4ever

I think the way trainer's treat some of their customer's is crazy! We bought a horse out of Europe last year and didn't pay over $30,000. Our trainer told me that they doubted they would be able to find anything in our price range! We did though! He got ribbons at WEF in the pre greens and children's. He was 2nd once behind a $500,000 horse! I think the prices have gone through the roof. But because of the need to win people will pay anything for that BLUE RIBBON!. I think the kids today, mine included, think that $50,000 for a horse seems just fine. This world is so screwed up with what we have to pay. Someone once told me, "Every horse is only worth $1,500.00, anything you get beyond that is all salesmanship."

I have to say, this is very discouraging. I cannot believe a professional would not jump at the chance to find a 90k horse for a customer..not everyone has a million dollars to spend on a horse!!! I know some very nice, competative horses in the 30-50k range...it's a VERY select few that can spend over a 100k on a horse..and even then I wonder if it's worth it..I much prefer the 15-20k horses that you bring along, and do well, as apposed to something that you pay top dollar for and don't win...which happens http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

six figures and you feel poor????

Go get a nice OTTB from a rescue and spend a few years training him up, then go laugh in your trainer's face.

My trainer has clients that have 6 figure horses in his barn that regularly rbbon in Fl. He treated my 4,000 off track TB and me as well as any other in the barn. He worked as hard with us (if not harder becauuse together, me and that horse were a slow study) as with anyone else.

The hirse was an awsome mover with tons of step, but still..not an A/O winner at indoors!

(edited to say "mover" instead of "miver"
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org