The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RPSI

I swear I'm not a troll... This is a serious question. Is RPSI a respected registry? What is it, exactly? I ask because I've looked at their registry requirements and they seem quite broad. What is the purpose of it, or what are they looking for when selecting horses to register?

I'm curious about it too because it seems to offer a lot of choice as far as breeding goals but I don't really know how selective they are. I know their lower book will take just about anything. Does that bring down their upper book?

Yes, they are respected registry and I have actually found their judge to be tougher on scoring foals than many of the other registries so there are no gimmees. Every Gold Premium is hard earned. Their registry requirements are the same here as they are in Germany. They do have a secondary studbook that is for pedigree certification only and they will issue a certificate of pedigree to almost any horse, but that is not the same as registration.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I'm going to take a stab here and see if I'm learning about German breeding (if I'm off base I'm sure I'll be corrected!):
    RPSI is from Rheinland-Pfalz-Saar which is a State/Area in Germany (to the North West of me!). If it is the same as the other German registries then it is for the horses that are born in that region. I did not know this until I moved here but apparently a horse is registered with the breed registry for where it is born. Example: The young horse I want to buy- His father is registered Oldenburg but pedigree has nothing but Westfalen (Rubinstein) and mother is registered Westfalen but baby is registered W├╝rttemberg because that is where he was born.
    Another example: Sandro Hit (one of my fave sires) has babies in every single registry that I've seen so far because he has babies born in every region of Germany.
    So, with that being said, RPSI would be just as legit of a registry as German Oldenburg Verband, Hanoveraner, Westfalen, W├╝rttemberger, Bavarian, etc...

If all of that is correct then how do horses in the States get registered with the German Verbands if it is all based on where the horse is born? Is it predominant "breed" in the pedigree?

That's correct. They are a small registry in Germany, so they don't have the large numbers of top horses representing them, but that doesn't mean that their standards are low.
    Visit us on facebook!

I would definitely agree with SJ66. Having been to a lot of different registries inspections the scores are well earned. I will say that them have a Book I and II is confusing for a lot of folks that do not understand that Book II is more or less just a recording of a pedigree. Almost all the registries have these pedigree records, they are just called different things.

So, do book I horses have reciprocity in Europe? Do they have a MPT? Were they represented at the 70 day test?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Agree also with SJ66 and monami. The AHS has a "Book II" called the Certificate of Pedigree. It really should be called something consistent by all registries to reduce confusion.

And it's equally confusing like n2dressage said that a foal whose parents are approved in different registries can be registered many different things. For example we could register a foal, say, by Royal Prince out of an imported Hanoverian mare with the RPSI while both parents are reigstered/approved Hanoverian, provided we present the dam RPSI. Same foal, same quality. For some reason the RPSI has caught an undeserved bad rap in my opinion because people don't understand the Book II thing. It's just a certificate of pedigree, but stallion owners and sellers say "approved Book II" since it sounds better, but it's not an approval at all.

Just from the experience we've had, they seem to favor jumpers more than dressage horses (whereas GOV to me seems to prefer dressage types). Athleticism and quality is rewarded regardless, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    For some reason the RPSI has caught an undeserved bad rap in my opinion because people don't understand the Book II thing. It's just a certificate of pedigree, but stallion owners and sellers say "approved Book II" since it sounds better, but it's not an approval at all.
    I think this is exactly the problem. I know I had this misunderstanding. So being in Book II does not mean that the horse is considered to be RPSI for breeding purposes? What is the point of it then?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I think this is exactly the problem. I know I had this misunderstanding. So being in Book II does not mean that the horse is considered to be RPSI for breeding purposes? What is the point of it then?
    Because in Europe you have to register everything, right? So they have to put them somewhere. It is a certificate of pedigree, basically. At least that is my understanding...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I think it means that they are recorded but not "approved". Someone can clarify if they have a better understanding, but a Book II stallion or mare can only have a foal that is Book II also, which is basically a recording and a certificate of pedigree. I think they do a half-brand (the "bridge" without the crown) on Book II foals which I kinda wish they didn't...
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

They really should consider changing "Book II" to Certificate of Pedigree, or COP. That would be similar to some of the other registries and also help with the confusion (and protect the brand-name).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

JCS- It is no different than a Appaloosa crossed with a GOV approved stallion that gets a certificate of pedigree from the Gov (same for AHS, Dutch, etc) the stallions are just recorded in book II for pedigree "maintenance" record.

Yes. Not currently, but I am sure they would be up for doing one if there was support for it. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    So, do book I horses have reciprocity in Europe? Do they have a MPT? Were they represented at the 70 day test?
    Visit us on facebook!

Default RPSI

Another positive thing about the RPSI is that they accept horses licenced in North America the same as those licenced in Germany. KPWN is the same way.
    Best Regards
    Ken Wong
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    www.StarStallions.com

Even though my base stock was/is solid Hanoverian, I have been using RPSI to register/inspect most of my WB foals because their inspection is less than 25 miles from me.

I will be honest and say I have never bred to a stallion who was ONLY approved RPSI, but I have found their inspections very fair and they reward quality. I breed for dressage mostly.

The confusion over Book II seemed to be helped along by many stallion owners, and it was awhile before RPSI took steps to clear things up....I think that was the problem.

ANYONE can present ANY stallion to them - apparently these are EU rules. But if the stallion does not meet RPSI criteria for approval in terms of pedigree (only European type WBs, Arabs or TBs in the 1st 5 generations), or quality, they can still pay a fee and be RECORDED in Book II.

And mares by those stallions can produce branded off-spring if they are bred to approved stallions, but (depending on pedigree), they might be placed in lower books.

But none of these stallions can produce a licensed stallion.

Foals by non-approved stallions o/o approved mares can get the half-brand and a COP. RPSI accepted my Rosenthal filly for inspection and full branding, even though he is not on their stallion list.

But I think their goal is to get the highest quality stock they can in their American base, so they are often willing to work with mare owners.

I'm glad to see others have a good opinion of them as a registry -- I confess I have had concerns about that in the past, although all my RPSI foals (even the COPs) have sold well.

I've seen RPSI used to begin a breeding program...will use color as example.

B/c a rarer color is usually brought in from an "outside breed"...it's usually not an approved by the standard WB registries.

But from what I've been told if colored stallion X is presented and put in book 2...and is bred to book 1 mares... resulting foals will be placed in book 2... and within 3 or 4 generations... if still bred to book 1 stock...

the final product can be presented, approved and registered book 1 RPSI....

However long it takes the non approved breed to be bred out essentially....

We chose RPSI just this year based off their inspection criteria, fees, availability location wise, and from word of mouth from fellow breeders that recommended them and were happy with their individual experiences with the registry.
    "Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    reciprocity: actually it is the *same* registry as in Germany. Many of the others (ie Oldenburg): the US arm is a separate branch of the German "parent" registry. RPSI is small and does not have a US branch. The papers and inspectors are all from the parent registry in Germany. Otto the judge is both knowlegeable and entertaining... and good at explaning/educating. He does a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    I think it means that they are recorded but not "approved". Someone can clarify if they have a better understanding, but a Book II stallion or mare can only have a foal that is Book II also, which is basically a recording and a certificate of pedigree. I think they do a half-brand (the "bridge" without the crown) on Book II foals which I kinda wish they didn't...
    that is correct

Oldenburg ISR has the same thing in the ISR division....lower book etc.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    reciprocity: actually it is the *same* registry as in Germany. Many of the others (ie Oldenburg): the US arm is a separate branch of the German "parent" registry. RPSI is small and does not have a US branch. The papers and inspectors are all from the parent registry in Germany. Otto the judge is both knowlegeable and entertaining... and good at explaning/educating. He does a nice job.
    I personally love this about them too!! Some of the other registries do not have inspectors from the Verband. Otto also has a very wide based knowledge of bloodlines. I want to add the RPSI are very enjoyable to host!!!