The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A really cool-looking horse with lots of mane and tail

http://www.oldoregonphotos.com/linus...gon-1890s.html

Linus was famous for his long mane and tail. Bred in Marion, Oregon in 1884, he was purchased by the Eaton brothers in Maine, who successfully promoted him in circuses and other shows.

Like other horses promoted for their long hair, Linus was mostly (3/4) Clydesdale. His statistics are quoted differently from various sources, but the original photo from which this print was made claims he was 7 years old at the time, weighed 1435 pounds, and had a mane of 9 feet 9 inches and a tail of 12 feet 3 inches.

-----------
    I think the dimensions given are wildly exaggerated, but he looks like he would have been a fun ride with his hair done up.

This particular website is organized by category, and this is in the horse and animal category. There are other working horse pictures, but nothing quite like Linus, the horse Barbie always wanted.

What an interesting site -- thanks for posting!
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Great photo, nice site

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
    Isn't it amazing how high he sits in the sulky of this era - there's a much better field of view than with modern racing sulkies. I suspect there were a lot of tip-over accidents, though.

Did you see the boys and Clarabelle the donkey, with her wearing a hat, and the mismatched wheels on the cart? The whole outfit tended to go slaunchwise down the road.

http://www.oldoregonphotos.com/makin...ette-1949.html

wow, what a great site! I think I'll be able to waste most of the day here, looking at all the old photos.

I think there were two horses, both named Linus, that looked almost identical except for the blaze?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I think there were two horses, both named Linus, that looked almost identical except for the blaze?
    It was typical of circuses and other shows to recycle names with similar looking horses so that all of the posters would still be usable, and the work done by the publicist would not go to waste.

As for the firehorses that Long Spot liked, note that they are in open bridles. I think all of the firehorse pictures I've found show the teams in open bridles. For non-drivers, most carriage and draft teams use blind bridles, and it is a tremendous brouhaha to even suggest that there is another way. While it wouldn't work for every horse, I've seen a number of animals in open bridles, and I think I'd try that in the future if the opportunity arose.
    Last edited by Pat9; Feb. 12, 2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: you can't spell even without the n