The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pregnant barn cat

So, when I bought my farm, it came with cats. The previous owner used to feed strays and was supposed to clear them out - she cleared most of them (there were over a dozen when we looked), but 2 managed to stay behind due to being a bit feral. I have since gotten them to come around to me and was planning to take them both to the vet in the spring since I have nowhere to let them lay up after surgery so I didn't want it done in the cold. Of course now one is preggo (pretty sure anyways, she went from very thin to quite round ). She was really thin when I moved in, I de-wormed her and fed her well and she was looking quite healthy and now....
    Honestly not positive she is preggo, but she looks like it. Any ways to tell besides that?
    If she is, how do I know when she's close? I want to put her in a large dog crate with food/water/litter and a nice bed so she can give birth in a safe place.
    Anyone have any advice for me? She'll be going to the vet asap after giving birth for the spaying!

I suggest spaying her now. Abortion is better than bringing more cats into the world.
    I have adopted and had spayed cats whom the vet said had viable kittens.
    Please take cat to vet and have her spayed before the kittens are born.
    I once wanted kittens after my last 3 18 yr old cats died, and I just got the first mama cat and litter that came to friends of animals next. Mama cat died last year at 17 yoa, 2 of her "kittens" died at 17 yoa, and 2 are almost 18 yoa.
    When these are gone, i will get another mama cat with her kittens.
    Nice of you to take the kitty, btw.

Good for you for taking her in and caring about her!

Agree though about taking her in now for a terminal spay. I did it with one of my cats (she's now 5 or 6, living the life of luxury in the house). No regrets. She'd already had at least one litter, and while I felt bad about it, the world doesn't need any more kitties.

BTW, mine was pretty far along. You could definitely tell she was prego, and her nipples were prominent. No milk though. She is now a perfect weight and you could never tell she was pregnant or had kittens.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

sorry all, can't do the kitty abortion! Don't want to get into that debate!

I will keep and fix the kittens she has, so no biggie as she's my only permanent barn cat and she brings me mice all the time, so a few more are no issue. I don't think she's going to have a big litter, she's small. We'll see, no clue when she will go. I will be fixing her right after, but I can't have the kittens aborted!

Happyhorselover- If you plan to try to have her have the kittens in a large dog crate, get her used to it now so she will not panic when her time is close. Don't lock her in, bud do show her the bed and put her food and water in there.

Cats give birth about 63 days after impregnation. As they get closer to the time, you will feel the mammary glands filling up like little ridges under her skin. Her nipples will also get more noticeable- but not as much as a dog's does. Some cats get a little waxy plug in each nipple a few days before they give birth.

If she is very small and young, you will need to keep an eye on her, because first-time mothers sometimes can have trouble delivering. She will need a safe place for her and her kittens because they are born with eyes closed (eyes open at about the 9th day after birth) and are very helpless for the first three weeks or so. By the time they are six weeks old, they are usually very fast and able to run and hide quickly.

It is true that some Tom cats will kill kittens, especially if they are not the sire. The Tom does this so the female will come back in season and he can breed her. Some Toms will even kill their own kittens, that is why it's important that the "nest" is in a safe place. Also, raccoons, opossums and foxes will kill kittens as well as cats, sometimes.

I don't blame you about the kitty abortion. I could not do that either. Since kittens seem to learn from their mothers, if she is a good mouser, odds are that they will be too. Also it is an old wives' tale that a cat needs to be hungry to be a good mouser, so make sure you do feed her- especially if she is eating for two or more.

I wish you and your kitty all the best should she turn out to be pregnant. If not, please get her spayed before too much longer. Actually, cats heal up better in cooler weather, and as the longer days of spring approach, she will come in season if she is not already pregnant.

Start feeding her kitten chow now.

Quote Originally Posted by one_Haflinger View Post
    Happyhorselover- If you plan to try to have her have the kittens in a large dog crate, get her used to it now so she will not panic when her time is close. Don't lock her in, bud do show her the bed and put her food and water in there.

Cats give birth about 63 days after impregnation. As they get closer to the time, you will feel the mammary glands filling up like little ridges under her skin. Her nipples will also get more noticeable- but not as much as a dog's does. Some cats get a little waxy plug in each nipple a few days before they give birth.

If she is very small and young, you will need to keep an eye on her, because first-time mothers sometimes can have trouble delivering. She will need a safe place for her and her kittens because they are born with eyes closed (eyes open at about the 9th day after birth) and are very helpless for the first three weeks or so. By the time they are six weeks old, they are usually very fast and able to run and hide quickly.

It is true that some Tom cats will kill kittens, especially if they are not the sire. The Tom does this so the female will come back in season and he can breed her. Some Toms will even kill their own kittens, that is why it's important that the "nest" is in a safe place. Also, raccoons, opossums and foxes will kill kittens as well as cats, sometimes.

I don't blame you about the kitty abortion. I could not do that either. Since kittens seem to learn from their mothers, if she is a good mouser, odds are that they will be too. Also it is an old wives' tale that a cat needs to be hungry to be a good mouser, so make sure you do feed her- especially if she is eating for two or more.

I wish you and your kitty all the best should she turn out to be pregnant. If not, please get her spayed before too much longer. Actually, cats heal up better in cooler weather, and as the longer days of spring approach, she will come in season if she is not already pregnant.
    THANK YOU! This is what I was looking for since I am not going to spay her while she is preggo. While I didn't want her to have kittens, I can't kill them! They can just stay, no problem, it's a barn and cat food is cheap. Gabby (preggo mama, named such because she "talks" to me all the time). I am assuming she is a first timer as she was still very small when I moved in. I'd guess she was less than 6 months old, but who knows, maybe she was just malnourished! She's going to get spayed as soon as is feasible after the kittens are born - if no kitten in a week or so, I'll assume she is just fat and take her However, her little belly is very taut so I think there's babies in there. Thank you for your reply! I'm going to put the cage out there today with everything in it and let her use it over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    sorry all, can't do the kitty abortion! Don't want to get into that debate!

I will keep and fix the kittens she has, so no biggie as she's my only permanent barn cat and she brings me mice all the time, so a few more are no issue. I don't think she's going to have a big litter, she's small. We'll see, no clue when she will go. I will be fixing her right after, but I can't have the kittens aborted!
    I'm with you on this one. Especially since you are willing to keep and be responsible for her kittens. You are a wonderful person to take her and her kittens in .

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Especially since you are willing to keep and be responsible for her kittens. You are a wonderful person to take her and her kittens in .
    Aw, thanks! I love cats and Hubby hates them, but he rarely goes in the barn so I told him I will have cats out there
    I had a cat when we first lived together, so he knew she came with me, but when she died, he really didn't want another one. I told him that is fine, but I will have my cats in the barn! He doesn't care about that, he just doesn't like them in the house which I can respct. I was going to adopt another 2 this spring, but it looks like I may be getting some home bred ones. I see where people are coming from if I was going to take these kittens to the shelter and wash my hands of them, suggesting the spay/abortion. But since I am willing to keep/spay/neuter them, I think I am being responsible.

Good luck and jingles for Momma and kittens. I understand the agreement to abort the kittens, but have to agree with OP and others that I don't think I could do it.

You may also want to see about a Havaheart trap, there may be roaming toms in need of brain surgery.

Good luck and jingles

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

epellet123 Guest

I have the same problem.Have been feeding a young cat for little over a month. She will let me pick her up but very leery. Did you put the cage out in the barn yet? I wonder if mine will go in one. Let me know how you are doing. I intended to get her fixed soon. But will wait now. She is a stray Good luck!

I put the cage out there with her food in it (the food was elsewhere) and a bed. She is in there ALL the time

Awesome you took her in and are willing to keep her kittens too. Do you have a tack room you can put the crate in that other animals can't get in? You'll want to give her free choice food and that would be better in an enclosed area. Otherwise leave it out in the day and give her a can am and pm to tide her over for the night/morning.

I hope everything goes well.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Hugs to you HappyHorseLover for being such a kind, caring and responsible person. Good luck to momma and her kits. Handle them a ton right from the start!

I helped a little feral with a broken pelvis, and she is my heart kitty now. Sleeps on my bed and gives me morning kisses.

Yes, keeping her in a big dog crate will work. The recommendation to aclimate her to it now is a excellent idea.

Your vet will prob want to wait until the kittens are weaned and her milk has dried up a bit before spaying her. Because female kitties can breed back VERY QUICKLY, keep her in the crate until her spay date.

And of course get the kittens fixed as soon as your vet is comfortable doing them. Some vets are comfy doing spays/neuters as early as 3 months now.

Default Don't wait long to spay!!

I had a similar situation-- a friend had offered me a pregnant barn cat. I was able to keep her in the tack room-- can't imagine how you can keep her in a crate, but whatever works. (Isn't that what hay lofts are for?) We were able to find spay/neuter homes for all of the kittens.

BUT the vet wanted to wait until her milk dried up some before spaying. We stupidly thought we could keep her in the basement for a while-- where she developed a cough and cost us another $400 xray & vet bill... So back out to the barn, but I can't remember if she escaped the tack room or what (This was a long time ago-- I'm sure we kept her in at night anyway)... but SHE GOT PREGNANT AGAIN IN A MATTER OF DAYS. We made sure every kitten got fixed, and paid for it ourselves if necessary.

Vets agreed to spay her more quickly after the 2nd litter, so just push for that the first time! Bottom line-- DON'T DELAY the SPAY!

We get cats dumped all the time at our barn. We are very close to civilization, but just far enough that people dump animals. We have had dogs dumped, cats, and even a litter of show rabbits (they were all trimmed and nails clipped, they actually hopped up to the car when we saw them and threw them in). We just recently thought one of our newest ferals was pregnant, she went from thin to quite fat in a matter of a month. Turns out she wasn't pregnant, we had wormed her and been feeding her so she just plain old got fat. We did catch the Tom though and he had a little snip snip done. We are still trying to catch all the ferals to spay/neuter (thank you SPCA for doing this for free since they are strays), but then we just let them go again. The tomcat has actually adopted us now though and hangs in the barn with our 2 barn cats. Pretty funny big guy, he has 6 toes on one foot 7 on the other, talks up a storm, and even lets you hold him now.

Great job in taking responsibility for both mom and kittens. I wouldn't be able to terminate the pregnancy either. Definately get her spayed as soon as possible. If she is indeed pregnant that means there is an unneutered male lurking around. No need to wait to get him neutered. If he's not 'knocking up' your female, there may be others around at risk.

I also agree on feeding her kitten food as she comes closer to giving birth. Our vet recommended that when we decided to take responsibility for a preggo female that was dumped on us. I think you're supposed to continue to feed kitten food while she is nursing as well.

Have fun and Good Luck! We were able to get our mom (spayed) and placed as well as the kittens. It was a fun experience..... once.

Add me to the "I think you're awesome for taking care of Gabby" group!

And please don't forget to update us with PICS!!!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.