The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Girth covers?

Sensitive chestnut OTTB, 'nuff said. He is easily irritated and the winter months are particularly rough on his delicate equine prince skin. I've been thinking about getting a soft cover for my girth to perhaps make it a little softer and cut down on chafing.

1. Synthetic or sheepskin? I'm guessing sheepskin will be the better choice, which leads me to my next question...

2. How difficult will it be to keep clean, a white sheepskin girth cover that's in use 6 days a week? Is this realistic?

3. Or am I better off just buying a nicer girth with better materials that may not irritate his skin? What I have now: Camelot Contact Girth which isn't garbage, but I get the feeling the lining which is kind of weird, might be bugging my horse.

Other suggestions? I put Equiderma (love that stuff!) on the affected area and it's usually 90x better within two days max, but I'd like to quit the cycle rather than perpetuate it.

Thanks!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I find that my princessy guy does fine with the cheap "sheepskin" lined nylon girth from Dover, and I just throw it in the wash as necessary. They last a couple of years that way, and if you're only using on one horse, they don't get too gross (although I do keep a "good" one for shows and lessons.)

You could also try something like this: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Cashel_G...nel_p/3044.htm

I use brown sheepskin girths...I still wash them, of course, but I don't have to worry about stains.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Default Girth Covers

I have two thin skinned horses, one is a OTTB, I found these great girth covers that are tubesock like, look great on my non-fleece dressage short girth, work great on my leather girths. Wash up great also. I found them at a saddle shop in Northeast IL.