The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default input please?

1. I am asking for a friend.

2. Please be kind. I have dial up so research is not so easy, hence I am asking here to shorten my search time.

Friend has a nice reg Old. mare. She was premium filly at her inspection. Sire is Regazzoni dam is a 1/2 TB by Donnerkiel,(Han). The mare is a lovely mover, she is >17h, she has a nice jump. The owner is thinking of breeding the mare to a jumper bred stallion.

What stallion would be *your* pick for a mare like this?

Also, does anyone know about the Hol. stallion Cormint?

You can't pick a stallion based on bloodlines alone. You would need to tell us her strengths and weaknesses in conformation, temperament, and under saddle, and also what discipline your friend is breeding for. Pictures are usually helpful, as well.

Hey Brenda! Is your friend looking to produce a eventer or a jumper? Do consider Pablo for an eventer as he has produced offspring at the grandprix level of dressage and jumping (something like 10 GP dressage and 40 GP jumpers and many approved stallion sons). I had wanted wanted to bred Cora to him years back. He is supposed to be very fertile too which is always helpful! http://www.rainbowequus.com/Pablo.htm

Lots of other potential boys. Look at foxfirefarm.us . I have a Linaro son our an Ariadus mare who is a total doll, moves better than Pacifec, and so far free jumps great (he's 3). I would look at Linaro and Limoncello for eventers (movement and jump) and Quinar for his super jump (tends to not increase size beyond the mare's, so a good size mare is pefect for him). Like many Quidam de Revel sons, he consistenly throws very althletic jumpers. They don't list it on their website, but I think all of their stallions are approved oldenburg-na.

You can also look at Dutch horses since they will give KWPN papers if you breed a mare from an approved registry to a stallion approved in Holland. Here are a couple of my drool stallions (throw movement and jump potential):
    http://www.vdlstud.com/paard/3/1/120...n/boss-vdl.htm

http://www.vdlstud.com/paard/3/1/86/...patero-vdl.htm

http://www.vdlstud.com/paard/3/1/83/...zavall-vdl.htm

the vdl horses are available through majesticgaitsfarm.com for about $400 dose with a LFG with 3 dose purchase.

Also consider Zambesi (also kpwn). He is offered through team nijnhof.

These four stallions all have SUPER foal reports from KWPN. This is where KWPN inspects around 10 or more of their offspring from various breeders and report the uniformity, strength and weaknesses of the foals. The four stallions are on my short list for the mare we are trying embryo transfer from this spring.

Here is a link to the stallion test results and foal inspections. See the links towards the bottom, the foal inspections reccomend mare type as well:
    http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/index_en.asp?lang=uk

Cormint is a very good producer and is actually a full brother to our stallion, Cathalido.

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    Also, does anyone know about the Hol. stallion Cormint?
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Ths mare was premium filly and top score at her inspection, so she has few glaring defects. If I could change her these would be my wishes.

Her back is more TB than WB. By that I mean that she has that TB dip behind the wither. I would like a flatter back.

Her neck is slender, it is upright with a natural arch, beautiful, slim throatlatch. I wish it came out of her withers just a little bit more forward/flatter.

She has an uber sensitive mouth. Everything has been checked and re checked. She is just super sensitive and finding a comfortable bit has been an interesting endeavor.

She has white legs behind and is prone to scratches when she is in season.

I would love a stronger, rounder gaskin.

She has a very smooth, soft jump. She may need a bit more power and thrust off the ground. She is only jumping at 3' 6" ish now. She might be hiding a big jump from us.

Does anyone know where I can find competition, production results, for Cormint? Is he available in the US?

Full brother huh? Interesting...... will check your website. Thanks!

Thanks Kate, I will take a look at those stallions.