The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My Ariats were getting chewed up in our desert conditions. I found a pair of Rectictilignes In a sale basket with a zipper and a tread like the older, heavier Mountain Horse. The leather is THICK and very durable. Not the easiest to get a great shine, actually, it was oiled so really shouldn't have been shined but I was able to get a good wax shine anyway.
    These boots can take a beating like no others! I mean, they literally have grooves from cactus and brush, I'm sure dressier boots would have been ruined! I just keep waxing and shining and filling in the grooves like they were my old, issued combat boots from the military.
    They are also a little big, which makes them perfect for an extra pair of socks, long underwear and lined breeches.
    Best $90 I've ever spent on horse clothing!

I was planning on wearing my Ariat fields to the ladies' weekend...they're nice looking boots...but they have zips! I didn't know that was gauche. Am I screwed? I sold my pull ons because they were nearly impossible to pull OFF - as in it took the farrier and one other really strong guy pulling, and me holding onto a post and stretched out horizontal, to pull them off. Really looked strange, y'all... (It was about the most exciting guy-involved thing in my life though...) Maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of them...

Lots of foxhunters wear boots with zippers. The main reason why zippers would be less functional is because if you had to go through deep water your feet will get wet. No zippers=dyer feet. If you know your hunt territory and you don't have to cross deep creeks, rivers, or beaver ponds, then zippers are fine. If you do have to cross deep stuff, buy a taller horse or get boots without zippers.

As for me, I'm on a 14.2 pony and I wear boots with zippers during the colder weather (Mountain Horse boots). If we go through deep stuff, I pull my feet out of my stirrups and lift my legs as high as they will go!! Of course, dear pony is a saint about crossing water.

There are many people who can not get pull on boots on or off easily due to old injuries. They ride with field boots or dress boots with zippers.

Bring what you have for the ladies weekend and plan on having FUN!!!

...buy a taller horse...I love it You're an enabler.

"I have to have a taller horse because I can't get my feet wet in my zippered boots..." YES!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever I can do to be of help my dear!! Just paying it forwards!!

My Ariat boots have zippers because I'm just lazy...it's SOOO much easier getting out of them. I am meticulous about caring for them, but I still worry that they might let go one day, so I just bring along black vet wrap, just in case. Before that I had Mountain Horse boots, also with zippers, and I wore holes in them without ever having a zipper issue.

And there's absolutely no need to get a taller horse....ponies ROCK !

Hinderella,

Absolutely!!! Ponies Rock!!

No, no, Hinderella, you're missing the point! Taller, shorter, it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!!! shhhhhhhh! Need...Another...Equine! N-E-E-D. Who needs rent/mortgage? It's perfectly ok for a middle aged woman to sleep in her car, isn't it? Well, isn't it? And there's always couch surfing...

Lightbulb N-E-E-D EQUINE

If you look around, there may be a job of helping in the barn that comes with barn apartment.. Could be that those horses need exercising, so you wouldn't have to buy another beastie...

Please, don't enable me...I have my eye on a Nokota/TB cross that just happens to be in....VA...he looks like a sweet guy, has experience foxhunting. I'm saved by the fact that the pony is INSANELY jealous and would not be at all happy if I were to add a "friend" to the household.

Hinderella,
    Aha! Is that why you bought a 3 horse trailer?

Your Va coth princesses may know this mount and can tell you if he is as good as his write-up. We are protective of our friends..

Sadly,we haven't bought the trailer yet, we're still in the shopping mode. But this enabling has to stop! The horse in question is in the Plains, a 12 year old blue roan gelding.

Getting back to the orignal subject, I now have two pairs of boots (thanks to getting carried away on eBay). One is a pair of Ariats, I don't know the style name, but they were made in Italy. The other are English made, a company called Balmoral. Both very nice...the Ariats are very comfortable, but awfully tall. Is it important for your boots to look "tall enough" as they do inthe show ring? or is comfort primary?

Are they brand new boots? They will drop quite a bit if brand new.

You can also get them cut down at Journeyman's Saddlery in Middleburg. Bring them with you, and let them take a look.

Be sure to push the "out" fold in the back of the ankle "in" frequently, so the boots break comfortably at the back of the ankle. You may need some conditioner there to start the softening process...

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    If you look around, there may be a job of helping in the barn that comes with barn apartment.. Could be that those horses need exercising, so you wouldn't have to buy another beastie...

I promise to stop hijacking the thread, but the one place I found around here that had a spot wanted $100 more a month rent for the apartment (vs my house in nice neighborhood) and to charge me double the board for my horse that I was/am paying, plus to leave me there every weekend in season to hold the fort while they went eventing or showing. And to charge me lesson fees for riding (any horse other than my own).

Not to worry Mortebella, our threads are never really hijacked...they just meander aimlessly, with a life of their own.

Both pairs of tall boots that I received are new, so I guess they will drop. Perhaps I will bring them with me to see what one of the tack shops in VA. I'm sure they have lots of experience with this. I like the Balmorals very much, they look very classic, a lot like Dehners. They're stiff now, but they will soften up.

For the March hunt though, I'll be in my old faithful field boots, because there's still too much snow to ride here, so I won't be able to break in the new boots in time.

And DocTracy, I did take your advice and look for Rectilignes. They're a little harder to come by, and I didn't find one in my size, but they look beautiful!

Back to boots, have you looked at this thread I created a couple of years ago?

Questions about boots

My experience with boots since then would make me seriously consider the waxed calf (rough out).

Thanks altjaeger, I did not see that. The search function can be tough..either you miss an important thread, or you get too many to practically read through.
    It was a very interesting thread with lots of information. Since I'm a true newbie to the hunt world, I have so much to learn! I did pick up a pair of dress boots on eBay, made in England, cuff lined calf, that may do the trick for me until I can save up for some Dehners. They have a nice gloss to them, no zippers, fit well, and no high Spanish tops, so I will not stand out...and I think that's really the best I can hope for as a guest and a beginner.

Question Boning?

In that reference thread, there talk of "boning" the rough out boots. One apparently uses a deer bone to do this.

Please elaborate about the process. What kind of dressing/polish/conditioner is used if any?

What kind of deer bone?

We have lots of Va white tail deer here. WateryGlen has a regular supply of deer bones that her trusty basset brings home as presents. Is there a new market here? Can we create a new fashion trend?

Default I have zippers and ALWAYS have BLACK DUCT TAPE with me

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    My Ariat boots have zippers because I'm just lazy...it's SOOO much easier getting out of them. I am meticulous about caring for them, but I still worry that they might let go one day, so I just bring along black vet wrap, just in case. Before that I had Mountain Horse boots, also with zippers, and I wore holes in them without ever having a zipper issue.

And there's absolutely no need to get a taller horse....ponies ROCK !
    I keep black duct tape with me at all times because I have zipper backs. The black vetrap is a great idea, too!

I've never had to resort to it, but nothing worse than having a broken-zipper while at a hunt/show/etc.

I haven't participated in full-blown foxhunt yet, but I do join our local hunt at the Hunter Paces and Team Chases they put on! I just wear my regular show boots (field boots with zip back) Not a big deal when we are just doing Hunter Paces.

I guess if I was going to become a member, and actually DO foxhunting....I'd have to buy some non-zipper dress boots?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**