The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket rubs appearing - deep snow?

My retiree has two blankets that he's had for three years. They're in good shape, and appear(ed) to fit him well - I measured him carefully when I bought them, and he's never had a rub from either.

We recently got a ton of snow, and he's been out frolicking. It's deep - he's never seen snow this deep. This is also the first winter that he's spending the majority of his time out in a field, with friends, rather than in a small paddock during the day/stall at night.

He's developed blanket rubs in the last week. The rubs appear low - I'd describe them as being toward the end of his humerus.

I commented on them to my BO, and she said that a number of her horses were sporting rubs, too.

Before I freak out and go drop money on new blankets, I thought I'd ask first if the deep snow - which has undoubtedly affected his way of going - could be the underlying cause of the rubs. These blankets have always fitted him nicely - as I said, no rubs in three years. And his confirmation hasn't changed dramatically. He's keeping himself pretty fit with all the turnout.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

I've seen this on my horses too....like the bottom edge of the blanket is rubbing their legs. It's usually not too bad. My horses are "stuck" at the gates to their paddocks because the snow is so deep and now frozen. They don't want to work so hard to get out further. Very challenging for any kind of turnout these days. C'mon spring!! I want to ride!!!
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

Maybe he's just simply running and playing more now in his new turnout situation instead of just standing in a smaller paddock???

If his blanket appears to fit him well, consider getting him a Bossys Bib

www.bossysbibs.com

instead of a new blanket. They'll allow the existing rubs to heal up quickly and prevent any new ones from starting up ...

I second the Bossy Bib. I have one similar...its a different brand(not sure which one) and its a bit tighter on the bottom. But it works wonders! Many of the other "outside 24/7" horses at the barn have rubs, while mine dont! Hah, i've always referred to these nifty things as "bra's." I'm sure its super embarassing for my geldings!

Shoulder guards like Bossy Bid may work. Sometimes something as simple as a daily application of baby powder on the rubs can help too.

Sometimes something as simple as a daily application of baby powder on the rubs can help too.
    The ONLY problem with this suggestion is that anything put on the rubs, that then collects debris, may have the opposite effect and make them worse as you now have "gunk" that is attracting dirt and dust and causing a friction point. The rule of thumb generally is, is that if you put something on the rubs, leave the blanket off ...

Be sure to bring him in periodically and check his weight. It sounds like your rubs are indeed from the bottom edge of the blanket, but everyone should be extra vigilant in the winter (especially this year) to make sure horses are keeping good weight on.

A change in weight will change the way the blankets fit, and possibly cause rubs in a horse who was in good weight when the blanket went on, but has lost weight over the winter.

Thanks, all. There was quite a bit of frolicking, apparently. His weight is good - my new BO rocks. He's a hard keeper with some known liver issues, so we watch his condition like a hawk. I'm considering a bib - just going to wait and see what's under the blanket tomorrow. His blankets were rotated during the week, and all the horses were inside for a few days due to subzero weather.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs